Cassiopeia - usable?

I asked about [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] previously which I really like.

[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] is on my mind now too. Is it usable? How do you pronounce it?

I say cass-ee-o-PAY-a but I read that some people say cass-ee-o-PEE-a which is not as nice due to the “pee” part. Is the pronunciation I like usable? I think it is the Greek one.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] or [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]?

[name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] (but I only like it as CASS-ee-a)? The meaning of [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] sort of puts me off (empty, vain).

Thoughts?

I think [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] is a bold – but still usable – choice. It might raise a few eyebrows but the nicknames Cass/Cassie and the similarity to [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] and [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u] make it feel more accesible. I pronounce it cass-ee-oh-PAY-uh too, and I think you could use that pronunciation, but I expect a decent number of people will say cass-ee-oh-PEE-uh the first time. It’s an easy correction, though.

I’ve known a [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] and she pronounced it CASS-ee-uh like you do. But I personally prefer [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] or [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] to [name_f]Cassia[/name_f].

[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] is my overall favorite but I think all of your options are usable.

3 Likes

I love [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]! I used to be neutral on the name until I heard the “pay” pronunciation (weirdly, the pronunciation I learned first was actually cass-ee-OH-pee-uh. I think it’s a name that will require pronunciation fixes regardless). It’s a GP for me but I’d absolutely use it if [name_u]Cass[/name_u] was a usable nickname for me!

I also like [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] a lot but if I had to pick, my heart lies with [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f].

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] to [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]. Had I been a bit braver, I think I would use [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f]. [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] is great too, I am very neutral on it. Doesn’t it mean ‘cinnamon’? That’s what I have known. All of these are perfectly usable.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f], both the the pee and pay pronunciations, though i usually use the pay one myself. It’s a bold, lovely name!

I slightly prefer [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] to [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] but [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] is my fave of them all. I usually take [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] to be a nature name, like the cassia tree

1 Like

Im likely to use the “pee” pronunciation but its such a rare name that I don’t know if many people would be familiar with it. [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] is much more wearable but [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] would definitely be a showstopper. People would know how to say/spell [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] for the most part, so thats an advantage. [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] is a lot of syllables. Personally I prefer [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] since its not common and feels more modern than [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f].

1 Like

It goes [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] > [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] > [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]

I would stay safe and go with [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] which is striking but not a tongue twister to get around that [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] may prove to be for a young child

1 Like

Yesss! I’ve always pronounced it Cass-ee-oh-PEE-uh but it has never made me think of pee. I like [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f], [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] equally, but I would squeal with joy if I met a baby girl named [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f].

1 Like