Cecilia versus Cecelia

[name]Hi[/name] berries,

What are your thoughts on the spelling variations of this name? I am drawn towards the nn [name]Celia[/name], so I am partial to the spelling [name]Cecelia[/name]. However, the traditional spelling appears to be [name]Cecilia[/name].

Is there a significant difference here? [name]Does[/name] either spelling give you a different feel for the name?

Any overall views on this name would be appreciated as well :slight_smile: Middle names would most likely be [name]Carys[/name] [name]Imogen[/name].

Thanks for your help!

[name]Layla[/name]

I prefer the [name]Cecilia[/name] spelling and I think this classic choice would cut down on the misspellings and mispronunciations of the name. I’ve always thought that the [name]Cecelia[/name] spelling looked a bit odd.

See I’m the other way around I always assumed that [name]Cecelia[/name] was the correct spelling because of the nickname [name]Celia[/name]! I think [name]Cecilia[/name] is odd and I always have to stop and think when typing that one out.

If you look at the NB entries for them, [name]Cecilia[/name] is ranked in the 200s, [name]Cecelia[/name] in the 700s. The [name]Cecelia[/name] spelling has been trending up after a big drop. It looks like the two spellings used to be used much more comparably. Apparently the [name]Cecelia[/name] spelling has had some recent television show and celebrity use, which might help adjust for how less common it is. No idea what could have caused the change, other than stuff like this just changes with the style like everything else. [name]Jennie[/name] and [name]Mollie[/name] were both once more prevalent than [name]Jenny[/name] and [name]Molly[/name].

If you like the nickname [name]Celia[/name], I can understand going for [name]Cecelia[/name] spelling, although to me it’s really not weird enough to use [name]Celia[/name] from [name]Cecilia[/name], just generally but also because the letters Ce and lia are still sin [name]Cecilia[/name] - I can understand if you’re not as flexible, but I am. To me it would be worth it to have people more likely to guess the right spelling on first try. But, [name]Cecelia[/name] is hardly a crazy kre8tiv spelling or anything like that.

BTW I also like just [name]Celia[/name] on its own…

I’m with @mischa here. [name]Cecilia[/name] has always looked more streamlined and classic, whereas [name]Cecelia[/name] looks clunky and awkward to me. I’m the total opposite of @sheflieswithherownwings–I have to think really hard to make sure I spell [name]Cecelia[/name] right! It just doesn’t come naturally to me, haha.

Besides, I think it’s totally natural to get [name]Celia[/name] from [name]Cecilia[/name] ([name]CEciLIA[/name]).

Good luck!

I agree completely. Perhaps I’m biased though, [name]Cecilia[/name] has been my favorite name forever and I will hopefully give this name to my daughter one day! (With the “i” spelling :wink: )

Ok I am an oddball but they seem like too different names to me. I love [name]Cecilia[/name]. It looks so classic and sweet! While [name]Cecelia[/name] just looks awful to me. When I picture a [name]Cecilia[/name], I see a sweet and cheerful girl with lots of friends, but when I picture a [name]Cecelia[/name], I see a mean girl, that is very dark and sad on the inside and does not have many friends. I don’t know why but that one letter is a major game changer for me, I guess I am just weird lol. I agree with @ash though that you can definitely get [name]Celia[/name] from [name]Cecilia[/name]!

To be honest, I find the look of [name]Cecelia[/name] to be more visually appealing than [name]Cecilia[/name] most of the time, but I still have the same reaction to it that I would if I saw Cecel instead of [name]Cecil[/name]…that, oops, it’s not quite right. Since I know it should be [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Cecelia[/name] ends up looking like a typo. [name]Cecilia[/name] would be the spelling I would choose for my own child.

Like a few of the previous posters, I don’t think a nickname needs to be spelled out within the name. [name]Just[/name] as I don’t have a problem with a [name]Catherine[/name], nn [name]Kate[/name], or an [name]Alison[/name], nn [name]Allie[/name], I’d be fine with a [name]Cecilia[/name], nn [name]Celia[/name].

I agree that [name]Cecilia[/name] looks “right” and [name]Cecelia[/name] looks like a typo. You don’t have to use the spelling with the nickname IN it, [name]IMO[/name].

If you’re wanting to call her [name]Celia[/name] you can skip the full name, since they ([name]Cecilia[/name] & [name]Celia[/name]) actually aren’t related at all! [name]Celia[/name] is a given name supposedly invented by [name]Shakespeare[/name], which is why it is on my list. :wink:

[name]Cecilia[/name] is classy.

I agree with all of this! [name]Celia[/name], [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Cecile[/name] are all variations of the name [name]Cecilia[/name] and all have the “i” so to me this spelling feels more classic/correct.

I like [name]Cecelia[/name] a lot better. [name]Cecilia[/name] looks odd to me, even though it’s the more common variation. I think it reminds me of cicada?