Celebrity last name names

If somebody names their baby after a well known celebrity last name would you automatically assume the parents are a big fan of that celebrity? I don’t mean a name like [name_u]Anderson[/name_u] that is a common surname but one that is pretty heavily associated with a celebrity, like [name_f]Aniston[/name_f] for example?

I wouldn’t assume for [name_f]Anniston[/name_f], but for something more like [name_f]Winfrey[/name_f] I probably would.

No, I wouldn’t assume that! I’d think of Jennifer Aniston in the beginning, but I wouldn’t think that her parents were huge Jennifer Aniston fans!

1 Like

Totally depends on the name for me. With [name_f]Aniston[/name_f], i feel like it fits the vibe of names like [name_u]Addison[/name_u] and [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], so while I might think of [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_f]Aniston[/name_f], i wouldn’t assume their parents were huge fans/necessarily naming their kid after her. Something more distinct like [name_u]Bowie[/name_u] I probably would though

1 Like

i think anything established as a name in its own right would be fine even with strong celeb connotations - jolie, for example. anything without the history i might be side-eyeing!

It depends on the name. For example, I wouldn’t think so with [name_f]Aniston[/name_f] because I don’t know any celebrity with that name and with [name_f]Bloom[/name_f] (Orlando Bloom) I wouldn’t think so either because I can imagine parents choosing it for the word instead of the celebrity. But if parents have a child name [name_u]Bowie[/name_u] I would assume they’re [name_u]David[/name_u] [name_u]Bowie[/name_u] fans.

The name I was specifically thinking about when I posted this was [name_u]Swayze[/name_u]. I have heard it a few times recently and I really like how it sounds but of course it is heavily associated with [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] [name_u]Swayze[/name_u] and I am wondering if people would always assume we’re fans.

I would assume you’re fans, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing…I mean I love me some [name_u]Swayze[/name_u] lol

For me it wouldn’t be a deal breaker and I wouldn’t put too much thought into it. At the end of the day everyone is named something, so people are going to draw whatever conclusions they want anyway. [name_f]My[/name_f] only concern would be any negative associations, like [name_m]Adolf[/name_m].

1 Like

I would definitely associate Aniston with the celebrity. I don’t think that necessarily means that the kid was named after that person, though. Other names that I strongly associate with celebrities are Monroe and Winslet.

3 Likes

I don’t have any kids yet but it I did I would use the last names Gragson, [name_u]Brooks[/name_u] and [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]

Gragson- NASCAR driver [name_u]Noah[/name_u] Gragson
[name_u]Brooks[/name_u]- Country singer [name_m]Garth[/name_m] [name_u]Brooks[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]- Current NASCAR driver [name_u]Chase[/name_u] [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] and his dad Former NASCAR driver [name_m]Bill[/name_m] [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]

1 Like