Changing my name from Emily to....Emerald

While I love my name it’s extremely common and I am rarely called anything other than “[name]Em[/name]”, some variation on that or (by one friend) “[name]Amelia[/name]”. I work with four other Emilys and I’m just tired of being [name]Emily[/name] S. or [name]Emily[/name] the third. I considered [name]Emmer[/name], but work with one and it was a childhood nickname that never quite took. But now I’m moving to more fanciful names, Drummm rolllll…

[name]Emerald[/name]?

Too outlandish, too extreme? It’s beautiful but wearable? I really do love this as a name though and as a bonus few people would notice as they call me mainly “[name]Em[/name]” except at work. What would your first impressions be of someone who chose the name [name]Emerald[/name]? [name]Do[/name] you like it?

P.s. I’ve never been a huge fan of [name]Emerson[/name], it feels too masculine to me

I have a friend named [name]Emerald[/name] who also goes by [name]Em[/name]. It definitely suits her - she has what could be described as a sparkling personality. I’d say it’s totally wearable on the right person.

What about [name]Emmy[/name]? It’s not too far from [name]Em[/name] and it’s not outlandish enough to go wrong based on your personality. It seems to carry off fancy well enough too.

I’d advise you try it out at Starbucks first (if your Starbucks takes names), or go to a store where they ask your name & write it on the fitting room door. Sometimes names seem great in theory, and sometimes they’ll make you feel awkward when you have to admit it’s your name.

I know a girl named [name]Emerald[/name], and I felt awkward calling her that, but it did suit her. She was an ‘old time Hollywood Glam’ type in looks and very charismatic. If I’d grown up with her, I’m sure I’d see it as a ‘normal’ name, though.

If you’re set on it, go for it. I mean, why not? If everyone calls you “[name]Em[/name]”, though… why change your name for distinction from the other Emilys when you’d still get called [name]Em[/name]? You could just tell the people who call you [name]Emily[/name] to call you [name]Em[/name] instead. I think that’ll me a much easier transition than getting them to call you [name]Emerald[/name], y’know?

I think if you chose the name [name]Emerald[/name]… I’d kind of get an attention-seeking vibe. Either that, or I’d expect you to at least be hipster-y, or super, super outgoing.

An other way to test [name]Emerald[/name] out is to change your name on facebook and see how people react. I unofficially changed my name when I was 19 after having the nickname [name]Lucy[/name] for 10 years already at that point. This past year I changed my name on facebook from my legal name (which is what my coworkers all know me as, and anyone I met during or after university. Everyone I knew in high school or before knows I’ve preferred [name]Lucy[/name] since grade 5). Changing it on facebook for a fair amount of comments, but I just explained my history and everyone was super accepting of it.
If you change it on facebook, even if people assume it’s a joke, they may have an easier time putting [name]Emerald[/name] in to practice after seeing the name next to your picture.

Good luck!
(oh, and an other option could be [name]Emilia[/name]. Since a friend already calls you [name]Amelia[/name], this could be a simple transition, too)

I’ve always liked the name [name]Emerald[/name], but was like you, felt it was beautiful but not wearable. A few years ago I had a student named [name]Emerald[/name] and realized just how usuable it could be! She was a beautiful girl with a really funky style (although not exactly the top student in my class <G>). It suited her and made me fall in love with it again. On a side note, she has two sisters, one named [name]Amethyst[/name] and one named [name]Jennifer[/name]!!

I agree with what lucialucentum said about trying the name out first at Starbucks, fitting rooms, Facebook, etc. You’ll get a feel for what it’s like saying, “I’m [name]Emerald[/name]!”

Other suggestions: [name]Emory[/name]/[name]Emery[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Emme[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Emmanuelle[/name], [name]Noemie[/name], [name]Remy[/name]…

I don’t like it, it sounds like a stripper name.

I like [name]Emerald[/name], but would probably use [name]Emanuelle[/name] if it was me.
There’s also [name]Emera[/name], Émeraude, Emerence/Emerenzia/Emerentia, Emeretta, [name]Emiliana[/name], Empona, [name]Emblyn[/name], Emzara, Emsley and Emuna.
Elmley is really close to [name]Emily[/name], but it is a surname so it might not be for you.
I also like [name]Amity[/name] as an [name]Emily[/name] alternative. Or the more striking Amnesty. ^^

My friend has a lot of kids! a lot a lot of kids! All of her kids names end in ‘N’, with the girls names ending in ‘YN’. ( For example, her oldest son is [name]Landon[/name] and her oldest daughter is Aaralyn. Youngest son is [name]Calvin[/name] and youngest daughter is Rihannyn). When she adopted her sister’s newborn triplets they named the boys [name]Colton[/name] and Keillan, but couldn’t think of a name for the girl. They had always loved the name [name]Emily[/name] ( they wanted to spell it [name]Emilie[/name]), but thought it would be mean to give baby girl a name that didn’t end in an ‘N’. so their solution was to name baby girl Emiyn. It sounded like [name]Emily[/name], looked a bit like [name]Emily[/name], but stuck with their traditional ‘N’ names. So her name is Emiyn [name]Peace[/name]. All that horribly long story to suggest the name Emiyn

My daughter’s name is [name]Emily[/name], and I have to admit that, had my husband been a little more on the spunky side of names too, I would have liked something like [name]Emerald[/name]. The only catch being that I can see someone having the name since birth, but not changing to something so dramatic during adulthood.

I like the suggestion of trying the starbucks test. Live with the name for a little while, maybe ask a close friend/fam member to call you [name]Emerald[/name] to see how you feel about having such a unique name. It is beautiful and rather spunky, but it has to feel right for everyday. I like that you could retain the same nn, seems like it would smooth the transition since most people are and would still call you [name]Em[/name].