Character Name for Coming of Age Story

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]. I am writing a coming-of-age story about a band from Kalamazoo, Michigan, and I am having trouble with coming up with a first name for one of my five main characters. This character is the drummer, and I have chosen her as my faceclaim.
The character is a rather introverted artist who is really passionate about music. I was thinking maybe [name_f]Amaya[/name_f], but I wanted to use [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] for another character, and the two names might be a little too similar. For the last name, I was thinking Westridge, but I am open to other options. The names of the other main characters are [name_f]Juno[/name_f] [name_m]Fletcher[/name_m], [name_f]Zoya[/name_f] Palekar, [name_m]Maksim[/name_m] “[name_u]Max[/name_u]” Chernyavsky, and [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] “[name_u]Kit[/name_u]” Dowling. Other character names I am using so far include Erin (for a female), Devin, and Gideon. Thanks in advance!

Amaya is pretty! Some names it makes me think of…

Amara
Avaya
[name_f]Aviva[/name_f]
[name_f]Kaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elora[/name_f]
[name_f]Elara[/name_f]
[name_f]Samara[/name_f]
[name_f]Malia[/name_f]
[name_u]Emery[/name_u]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Layla[/name_f]

1 Like

Amaya is nice, but I agree the ‘Am’ sound at the beginning is too close to [name_f]Amelie[/name_f].

How about [name_f]Anaya[/name_f] instead? [name_f]Anaya[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] don’t feel as muddled when said out loud.

I personally would avoid sharing first initials, unless the two characters have somewhat of a combined personality. For example, I have two characters in a story I’m writing who go by the nicknames [name_f]Em[/name_f] and [name_f]El[/name_f], who are inseparable and for the most part act as one.

Maya is very similar to [name_f]Amaya[/name_f], but is more distinct relative to your other characters’ names.