Character Name Preferences

I figured this would be too long to post in the Quick [name_u]Poll[/name_u] Thread, so it’s going here. This is all about characters, names, etc. If you have anything to add, just comment it below. (I sound like I’m a YouTuber. Wow.)

I prefer it when characters have…
  • Names that are common
  • Names not heard often
  • Uncommon names
  • Super unique names

0 voters

How many characters is too many?
  • 0-10
  • 11-20
  • 21-30
  • 31-40
  • 41 or more

0 voters

How many characters is too few?
  • 5-10
  • 11-15
  • 16 or more

0 voters

What kinds of names are “too” similar?
  • Same syllables
  • Same first letter
  • Same last letter

0 voters

Does it bother you if…
  • You don’t know a middle name
  • You don’t know a last name
  • You don’t know either
  • It doesn’t!

0 voters

Do name connotations bother you?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Sometimes

0 voters

Bonus! [name_f]Share[/name_f] the name of your favorite character from wherever (eg, books, movies, TV shows…)!

Based on your question at the end, I answered these based on my name preferences for other people’s characters in other people’s works. For myself and my stories, some of the answers can change.

1. Uncommon or not often heard of names
  2. Depends on how prominent they are and how necessary it is to remember them for the story to work.
  3. I think it’s hard to have a full-length novel with fewer than 5 characters
  4. Same look. So probably names with the same first letter and a similar visual length/appearance
  5. Last names only bother me when I have to know them. Middle names don’t bother me at all. I don’t know a lot of my characters’ middle names but I see that as being because I haven’t gotten to know them like that yet.
  6. No
1 Like

Thank you! Yeah, I accidentally voted on the mn question, so that was fun. I just had a huge concern/panic moment when I realized that I have way too many characters, and have characters named [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_f]Anya[/name_f], and so I wanted to get others opinions.