Character Names Thread

I just realized that I really wish I had somewhere I could just post characters’ names as I name them, so that’s what this is!

You can tell us stuff about them or just say that you finally got them named and tell us what you named them. However you wanna do it is totally fine. I just think this is something that’ll be nice to have. (Especially when I’m really excited about or proud of a name :wink:)

I’ll start since I just named some!

[name_m]Riordan[/name_m] [name_m]Gallagher[/name_m] “Ri” & [name_f]Tesni[/name_f] Acushla “Tes” :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(* firsts and middles)

3 Likes

Josephine [name_f]Ida[/name_f] & [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Maude[/name_f] is my newest fictional sibset, I wanted names that work in [name_f]English[/name_f], [name_u]French[/name_u] and [name_m]German[/name_m].

2 Likes

My favorite names probably are a set of half-brothers the youngest likes to rate on a “Real to Ridiculous” scale.
The most ridiculous: [name_m]Watson[/name_m] [name_u]Hale[/name_u] (29 yo, millionaire)
Then- [name_m]Alec[/name_m] [name_u]Grayson[/name_u] (27, British diplomat to [name_u]America[/name_u])
Next- [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] Rojas (24, MI5)
Then- [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] [name_m]Lyons[/name_m] (20, in law school at Cambridge)
The most real: [name_m]Damien[/name_m] Rojas (16, a student at prestigious American boarding school)
They all have their mother’s last names as their middle, and “[name_m]Winthrop[/name_m]” as their last. They’re also listed in age order, which also happens to be alphabetical order, minus [name_m]Watson[/name_m], because he’s the heir. All of the oldest sons in this family have the initials WHW.
[name_f]My[/name_f] protagonist’s name is Connelly [name_f]Ann[/name_f] [name_u]Ridley[/name_u]. She has such an original middle name, I can’t even…
Lastly, we have Dr. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] Reddington. Her first name is really special to me because she’s named after my great grandmother, who was an absolutely AWESOME person. Her last name comes from [name_u]Dean[/name_u] [name_m]Redding[/name_m], one of my favorite book characters, from The Naturals series.

1 Like

OH MY FAMILIES I HAVE TO SHARE THESE THREE FAMILIES I NAMED
these are the three I am most proud of :joy: indulge me

DH: [name_m]Leander[/name_m] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
DW: [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] ([name_u]Ember[/name_u]) [name_u]Willow[/name_u]

DS(19): [name_u]Linden[/name_u] [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
DD(14): [name_f]Avalon[/name_f] [name_f]Zelie[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
DD(12): [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] [name_f]Zita[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
DS(10): [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]
DD(7): [name_u]Story[/name_u] [name_f]Zenobia[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u]

DH: [name_m]Bramble[/name_m] [name_f]Chandra[/name_f]
DW: [name_u]Day[/name_u] [name_f]Chandra[/name_f]

DS(20): [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] [name_m]Vincent[/name_m] [name_f]Chandra[/name_f]
DD(18): [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] [name_f]Moon[/name_f] [name_f]Chandra[/name_f]
DD(17): [name_u]Briar[/name_u] [name_f]Camellia[/name_f] [name_f]Chandra[/name_f]
DD(15): [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] [name_f]Chandra[/name_f] “[name_u]Jazz[/name_u]” “[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]”
DD(14): [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_f]Jade[/name_f] [name_f]Chandra[/name_f] “[name_f]Molly[/name_f]”
DS(12): [name_u]Indigo[/name_u] [name_u]Rain[/name_u] [name_f]Chandra[/name_f] “[name_u]Indie[/name_u]”
DS(10): [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Dove[/name_u] [name_f]Chandra[/name_f]
DD(9): [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] [name_u]Eden[/name_u] [name_f]Chandra[/name_f] “[name_f]Posie[/name_f]”

DH: [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_u]Miles[/name_u] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
DW: [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] "[name_f]Mae[/name_f]"

DD(17): [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
DS(14): [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] [name_u]Miles[/name_u] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] “[name_u]Miles[/name_u]”
DS(11): [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
DD(9): [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] “[name_f]Dora[/name_f]”
DD(8): [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] "Ness"

2 Likes

I just want to say I LOVE the name [name_m]Leander[/name_m]. I actually wrote a short story once with a twin boy and girl, the boy being [name_m]Leander[/name_m], and the girl [name_f]Imogene[/name_f]. Both of their names came from other books. And [name_f]Imogene[/name_f] kinda killed [name_m]Leander[/name_m], but IT’S FINE.

4 Likes

So in my newest stories, I have:

[name_f]Lioria[/name_f] Kasher, her niece [name_f]Aviva[/name_f], and [name_m]Esmond[/name_m]

Best friends [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] nn [name_m]Shep[/name_m] and [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] nn Vix

2 Likes

I’m writing a play. The names are Seven (f) and Jane (m). The characters are unrelated and these are their “pseudonyms.” I am imagining their “real names” are Sara (aka Seven) and Edgar “Eddie” (aka Jane) but this never comes up in the play, quite on purpose. I’m quite liking them, the characters don’t have surnames for reasons.

The play before this one I had Arîel, Mønâ, and cousins Ańniē (Anńe) and Ešthèr (all f). (Privacy symbols added for reasons).

3 Likes

Totally :joy:

1 Like

I wrote a fanfiction with some original characters.

There’s 16/17 year old, [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], and her niece (who she raises like a daughter), [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. If I write a sequel, [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] will be called [name_u]Penny[/name_u] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] by her father-figure. I envision a little scene where he uses The Beatles song as a lullaby. It’s a post-apocalyptic world so she hasn’t heard the song since she was really young. I haven’t decided how much of it she remembers, I think that part will flow as I’m writing it.

Evelyn and a male character have a baby girl together. Due to the post-apocalypse world, they don’t know the gender beforehand, so she chooses the name [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] because it’s unisex. If I do a sequel, she’ll be called [name_f]Ro[/name_f]-[name_f]Ro[/name_f].

Evelyn’s character is mature but also very “broken” due to trauma (I hate the term “broken” because people aren’t objects, but it’s the best way to describe her). She’s selfless when it matters most but doesn’t let herself miss out on the moments where she can be selfish and follow her heart. I really enjoyed writing her because I pulled a lot of her personality from myself, from what I envision my daughter to be like, and from a foster teen I worked with years ago.

Penelope’s character is quiet and creative/innovative. She’s very sensitive to her environment and the people around her. She is loyal to a fault and loves hard.

Rowan is only a year old when the fic ends. If I write my sequel, she’ll be the opposite of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. Stubborn, out going, opinionated, and not afraid of stirring up trouble.

2 Likes

Families is though of…

Constance Delilah, mother to: Ewan Christopher, Iona Magdalene and Hamish Adair

Cleo Bird, mother to: Briar Ashton Kate and Sparrow Amelia Kai

Hazel An, mother to: Lillie Bo and Rocco Gan

2 Likes

I just killed off a character named [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] Abernathy (17), older sister to [name_u]Wren[/name_u] Abernathy (15). [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]’s name comes from the [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m] series, by [name_f]Brittany[/name_f] Cavallaro. Her last name, Abernathy, is Haymitch’s, from the Hunger Games. Her (being [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]) girlfriend’s name is [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] [name_m]Turner[/name_m], who is the daughter of the (fictional!) VP of the US.
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] died because she was mistaken for her younger sister.
[name_m]Ah[/name_m], I just love killing of characters. So far, I’ve only killed two, though (In this book). I saw this talk by an author who I really like, and she said she was talking to her writer friend, and was like, “I want to kill someone today, but I don’t know who,” in the middle of a coffee shop. I saw this, and I was like, lol, that’s me.

3 Likes

My short story has three main characters, [name_f]Hedwig[/name_f] Feenberg, [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Pendleton[/name_m] and [name_f]Marceline[/name_f] Scithe (pronounced similarly to smithy rather than scythe). There are also some other characters, mainly [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]’s love interest, but I don’t know her name yet.

4 Likes

So in my new western the main family has four kids, ranging from around 19-9 years old. Eldest daughter [name_f]Elvira[/name_f], eldest son [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u], youngest son [name_u]Clancy[/name_u], and youngest daughter [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] “[name_f]Suzie[/name_f].”

I also have a new character for a long running RP with my friend who I’ve named [name_f]Faye[/name_f].

1 Like

In my project I’m ABOUT to start, there’s a dysfunctional family, and I made a family tree! Because I’m a nerd!

It has so many twins and triplets! I love it! And this is only one of the family trees!

3 Likes

@Ellory
That looks like so much fun!! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Diana[/name_f] :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I love doing genograms haha

1 Like

I officially have a whole family named in my story! And sisters!! :blush::blush:

Family:

Tesni Acushla {Yarwood} Ballantyne “Tes”
[name_m]Riordan[/name_m] [name_m]Gallagher[/name_m] Ballantyne “[name_u]Rye[/name_u]”
[name_m]Brynmor[/name_m] [name_f]Ilinca[/name_f] Ballantyne “[name_u]Bryn[/name_u]”
[name_m]Seanan[/name_m] Arthfael Ballantyne

Sisters:

Viveca Anastasevna {Starikov} Budny
Kseniya Anastasevna Starikov

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] newest characters (no middles yet) are [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f] “[name_u]Bernie[/name_u]” [name_u]Forest[/name_u], [name_f]Myra[/name_f] Meadowcroft, [name_u]Logan[/name_u] [name_u]Sinclair[/name_u], and [name_m]Griffith[/name_m] [name_m]Stone[/name_m].

Edit: Just heard Gideon on TV and now it’s making me second guess choosing Griffith over it. he’s G. Stone for sure, though!

2 Likes

I love the name [name_m]Griffith[/name_m]!

1 Like

I’ve gotten really far in 8 days!

New ones I have named:

{family}
[name_f]Amelisa[/name_f] [name_f]Katrine[/name_f] {Rembold} [name_f]Bellona[/name_f] (DW)
[name_m]Nahum[/name_m] [name_m]Alvar[/name_m] [name_f]Bellona[/name_f] (DH)
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_m]Prosper[/name_m] [name_f]Bellona[/name_f]
[name_u]Jael[/name_u] [name_f]Selah[/name_f] [name_f]Bellona[/name_f]
[name_m]Job[/name_m] [name_f]Temperance[/name_f] [name_f]Bellona[/name_f]
[name_f]Tirzah[/name_f] Lovejoy [name_f]Bellona[/name_f]
[name_f]Keziah[/name_f] [name_f]Promise[/name_f] [name_f]Bellona[/name_f] ([name_f]Tirzah[/name_f]’s twin)
[name_m]Moses[/name_m] [name_m]Ransom[/name_m] [name_f]Bellona[/name_f]
[name_m]Hosea[/name_m] [name_m]Psalm[/name_m] [name_f]Bellona[/name_f]

{father & son}
[name_f]Willo[/name_f] Ikal [name_m]Amadeo[/name_m]
Joelbeck [name_u]Noon[/name_u]-chi [name_m]Amadeo[/name_m] (he was already named but I haven’t mentioned him here so why not)

{father to not completely named children}
[name_m]Zygmunt[/name_m] Budny “Zyggie”

{father & mother to not completely named children}
Arnica Bellflower [name_u]Irie[/name_u] {[name_m]John[/name_m]} [name_m]Laurent[/name_m]
Alderic [name_m]Sylvain[/name_m] [name_m]Laurent[/name_m] (sometimes called [name_m]Ric[/name_m] for short)

2 Likes