Characters Need New Names

I spent a [name_m]History[/name_m] lesson — lecture me all you want — writing a little bit of a ghost story, literally the part where one of the two main characters straight up pulls a brother and nearly died. Anyway, in class I called them [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] and [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]. Thing is, I have two cousins who have those names, and they’re brothers — not twins, but brothers.

(Elliott might be spelled with one ‘t’, though… but it’s the same name.)

I didn’t want them to have particularly unusual names, so that’s why I chose [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] and [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]. That and the fact that they were the first two names that came to my head. But I don’t think I could really write this like I want to with those names (which means [name_u]Liam[/name_u] and [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and [name_m]Matthew[/name_m] are also out — and I’m realising that I have very few male relatives in my generation).

So… descriptions. I’d say they’re 12/13.

[name_u]Elliott[/name_u] is a psychic — after a near-death experience, he found himself able to see and hear ghosts, and honestly just decided to go with it (I put him at ~7 when it happened, so there’s that). He’s now got ‘lavender’ eyes, according to my exercise book, but originally they were grey, and light brown hair. He might be developing ‘poliosis’, although frankly it’’d just be part of the supernatural aspect of all of this. He’s generally an outgoing person, deathly scared of water (as he never learned to swim), and adores [name_m]History[/name_m]. However, he is reckless, almost constantly coming up with ways to get into trouble. He also can’t act to save his life, though, which ironically might have saved his life…

[name_u]Oliver[/name_u] has his own near-death experience about five years later, but what happens with him has yet to be determined. The brothers are practically identical twins, barring Elliott’s changed eye colour, and [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] dislikes haircuts so his hair ends up a little longer than Elliott’s more often than not. [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] is a quieter, more sensible boy than his twin, and is usually the one to stop [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] from doing something too dangerous. He’s very good at reading people, and more willing to take things into his own hands whether he understands them or not.

If possible, names with possible nicknames are preferred — a line in this little scene I wrote was about how the twins don’t use nicknames, and when [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] calls [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] ‘Olly’ the boy pretty much ends up almost dying less than five minutes later, he’s so shocked (by that and a few other things…).

Maybe I’m hung up on an unimportant detail here, but please can you explain what this means?

Oh, right! Basically it’s that whole near-death experience thing — [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] nearly drowns, and then [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] gets hit by a car after an argument with [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]. This makes [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] think that [name_u]Oliver[/name_u] deliberately walked in front of the car, which isn’t what happened, and… yeah. There’s the explanation.

For [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]

[name_m]Coleton[/name_m] nn [name_m]Cole[/name_m]
[name_m]Joshua[/name_m] nn [name_m]Josh[/name_m]
[name_u]Beckett[/name_u] nn [name_u]Beck[/name_u]
[name_m]Jeremy[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jerry[/name_u]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] nn [name_u]Nick[/name_u]
[name_u]Grayson[/name_u] nn [name_u]Gray[/name_u]

For [name_u]Oliver[/name_u]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] nn [name_m]Tom[/name_m]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m] nn [name_m]Jake[/name_m]
[name_u]Leland[/name_u] nn [name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_u]Cameron[/name_u] nn [name_u]Cam[/name_u]