Characters With Great Names

Like the Authors With Great Names thread, I thought I’d make one for characters with great names! (If there’s already an existing one that I didn’t see, please let me know.

I’m going to start it off with the masterpiece:

[name_m]Albus[/name_m] [name_m]Percival[/name_m] [name_m]Wolfric[/name_m] [name_m]Brian[/name_m] Dumbledore

What other great character names can you think of?

4 Likes

Cornelia [name_f]Street[/name_f] Englehart ([name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters)

2 Likes

I’ve been reading a series of books based on the [name_u]Halo[/name_u] video games, and there are some really interesting names in it. The main character - who is not human, I might add - is called:

Bornstellar Makes [name_f]Eternal[/name_f] Lasting

(known simply as Bornstellar). Quite a statement, no?

There are so many well-named characters, but some of them just really stand out as either outrageous or stunning or both!

So…can I just name every [name_m]Charles[/name_m] Dickens character ever??

Okay, fine. Here are just a few of the best, then:
[name_m]Ebenezer[/name_m] Scrooge (A [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] [name_f]Carol[/name_f])
[name_m]Jeremiah[/name_m] Flintwinch ([name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Dorrit[/name_f])
[name_m]Leicester[/name_m] & [name_f]Honoria[/name_f] Dedlock (Bleak House)
[name_m]Martin[/name_m] Chuzzlewit
[name_m]Prince[/name_m] Turveydrop (Bleak House)
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] [name_m]Nickleby[/name_m]

Plus these from other works:
[name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] [name_f]Everdene[/name_f] (Far From the Madding Crowd)
[name_f]Bertha[/name_f] [name_f]Marilla[/name_f] “[name_f]Rilla[/name_f]” [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] ([name_f]Rilla[/name_f] of Ingleside)
[name_m]Digory[/name_m] [name_m]Kirke[/name_m] (The Magician’s Nephew)
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_u]Byrd[/name_u] [name_f]Starr[/name_f] ([name_f]Emily[/name_f] of [name_u]New[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f])
[name_m]Hercule[/name_m] Poirot
St. [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Rivers[/name_u] ([name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f])
[name_f]Wendy[/name_f] [name_f]Moira[/name_f] [name_f]Angela[/name_f] [name_f]Darling[/name_f] ([name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Pan[/name_m])

And every name in the Tolkien canon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, these are wonderful!!!

Here’s a few (I haven’t even read some of these books, but it’s fine)

[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] [name_u]Finch[/name_u] (To Kill a Mokingbird)
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u] ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women)
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] “[name_m]Monty[/name_m]” [name_m]Montague[/name_m] (The Gentleman’s Guide to [name_m]Vice[/name_m] and [name_f]Virtue[/name_f])
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] ([name_f]Narnia[/name_f] series)
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_u]Gale[/name_u] (The [name_m]Wizard[/name_m] of [name_m]Oz[/name_m])
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]” Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Literally any name from Six of Crows. They’re all great
[name_f]Lena[/name_f] Kaligaris (Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants)
Mr. [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m] [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] (Pride and Prejudice)

I don’t know if this includes movie characters, but if it does:
[name_u]Milo[/name_u] [name_m]Thatcher[/name_m] ([name_u]Atlantis[/name_u]: The Lost Empire)
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] (Legally Blonde)
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u] [name_m]Moore[/name_m] (Footloose)

They’re not all my style, but I thought I would share them anyway :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@the.vintage.scribe Is it just me who really want’s to know [name_u]Gus[/name_u] Waters’s middle name? Since we know [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]'s ([name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_m]Lancaster[/name_m]), I reaaallllly want to know the middle name for [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] Waters, right??

Well now I do! I honestly almost put [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]’s name too, and now I’m glad I didn’t because I, somehow, totally thought [name_f]Grace[/name_f] was her last name for some reason. Thanks for the reminder that it is, in fact, not

1 Like

I love [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] Fanshawe and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] Snowe from [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] Brontë’s [name_f]Villette[/name_f]

2 Likes

Cyril & [name_f]Anthea[/name_f] ([name_m]Five[/name_m] Children & It)
[name_f]Arrietty[/name_f] (The Borrowers)
[name_f]Molly[/name_f] [name_f]Bloom[/name_f] ([name_m]Ulysses[/name_m])
[name_f]Pilar[/name_f] (For Whom the [name_u]Bell[/name_u] Tolls)
[name_m]Vladimir[/name_m] “[name_f]Didi[/name_f]” & Estragon “Gogo” (Waiting for [name_m]Godot[/name_m])
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f], Toussine, Eloisine, & Merance (The [name_m]Bridge[/name_m] of Beyond)
[name_f]Salome[/name_f] ([name_f]Salome[/name_f] lol)
[name_m]Leontes[/name_m] & [name_f]Perdita[/name_f] (The [name_u]Winter[/name_u]’s Tale)
[name_f]Veruca[/name_f] Salt ([name_u]Charlie[/name_u] & the Chocolate Factory)

This one doesn’t really count, but I always loved that the main character in [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] [name_u]Ellison[/name_u]’s Invisible [name_m]Man[/name_m] was unnamed!

3 Likes

That book is fantastic and so fun.

1 Like

[name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_u]Wallace[/name_u] - Wrinkle in Time
[name_m]Edmond[/name_m] Dantes - The [name_m]Count[/name_m] of [name_m]Monte[/name_m] Cristo
[name_m]Philip[/name_m] nn “[name_u]Pip[/name_u]” - Great Expectations
[name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_u]Green[/name_u] - The Odd life of [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] [name_u]Green[/name_u]

Harte Darrigan, and [name_f]Esta[/name_f] Filosik (The Last Magician by [name_u]Lisa[/name_u] [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u])
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] Veturius, and [name_f]Helene[/name_f] [name_m]Aquilla[/name_m] (An [name_u]Ember[/name_u] in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir)
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_u]Pevensie[/name_u] (The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] by C.S [name_m]Lewis[/name_m])
[name_u]Scout[/name_u], [name_u]Jem[/name_u], and [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] [name_u]Finch[/name_u] (To Kill a Mockingbird by [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u])
[name_f]Eilonwy[/name_f] (Chronicles of Prydain by [name_m]Lloyd[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]) *pronounced Eye-lon-wee
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] ‘[name_u]Jo[/name_u]’ [name_u]March[/name_u] ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women by [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u])
D’artagnan (The Three Muskateers by [name_m]Alexandre[/name_m] [name_m]Dumas[/name_m])
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m] [name_m]Butler[/name_m] (Gone With the Wind by [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_m]Mitchell[/name_m])
[name_f]Esme[/name_f] [name_m]Cullen[/name_m] ([name_u]Twilight[/name_u] by [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] [name_m]Meyer[/name_m])

Inigo Montoya from the Princes [name_f]Bride[/name_f] is such an amazing name.

I adore Tolkien’s entire catalogue. [name_f]Princess[/name_f] Lothíriel of Dol Amroth, [name_m]Bilbo[/name_m] Baggins, [name_f]Galadriel[/name_f], Túrin Turambar, Luthien Tínuviel, Ancalagon the [name_m]Black[/name_m], [name_m]Gil[/name_m]-galad, Princes Erchirion, Elphir & Amrothos… I could go on and on and on…

Beric Dondarrion from Game of Thrones is also incredible. As is Victarion Greyjoy, [name_f]Daenerys[/name_f] Targaryen, and Varamyr Sixskins.

Honourable mentions:
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]
[name_m]Jupiter[/name_m] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] (The Three Investigators)
Esmerine (Between the [name_u]Sea[/name_u] and [name_u]Sky[/name_u])
[name_f]Sera[/name_f] Lighthaven (The [name_u]Cerulean[/name_u])
[name_f]Xena[/name_f] (Warrior [name_f]Princess[/name_f])
[name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] & [name_m]Aslan[/name_m] (The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f])

There are dozens and dozens more but I’ll stop here lol!

1 Like

Here are some of my favourites:

Edmond Dantès, [name_m]Fernand[/name_m] Mondego and Merecédès (the [name_m]Count[/name_m] of [name_m]Monte[/name_m] Cristo)
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_m]Prior[/name_m] and [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Eaton[/name_m] (Divergent Series)
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] Lovegood and Bellatrx Lestrange ([name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]) Though every name is amazing in HP!
[name_f]Araminta[/name_f] [name_u]Lee[/name_u] (Crazy [name_m]Rich[/name_m] Asians)
[name_f]Cyra[/name_f] Noavek (Carve the [name_m]Mark[/name_m])
[name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m] [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] (Pride and Prejudice) Also love [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Bennett[/name_u] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_u]Bennett[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosaleen[/name_f] Daise and [name_u]August[/name_u] Boatwright ([name_f]Secret[/name_f] Life of Bees)
“[name_f]Kya[/name_f]” [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Danielle[/name_f] [name_m]Clark[/name_m] (Where the Crawdads [name_m]Sing[/name_m])
[name_f]Lina[/name_f] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] (The House Girl)

Evander, [name_m]Dex[/name_m](g), [name_m]Garrett[/name_m], Soranna, and Geryon, Ending(a cat/labyrinthine) and (yes this is his real name and he’s a cat too)- Ashes-Drifting-Through-the-Dead-Cities-of-the-World (simply known as Ashes) Forbidden Library* series

Most of the charaters in Soman Chainani’s series The School for Good and Evil, but here are my favorites:
Tedros, [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f], [name_u]Rhian[/name_u](b), [name_f]Yara[/name_f], Chaddick, Hort(yes this is cool)

So many great ones listed here so I’ll just add two: [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_u]Rue[/name_u] [name_m]Kerrigan[/name_m] from [name_u]Joyce[/name_u] [name_f]Carol[/name_f] Oates’ [name_f]My[/name_f] Life As A Rat and [name_f]Midori[/name_f] from Norwegian [name_m]Wood[/name_m].

Seconding the TFIOS characters and Arriety from the Borrowers.

Also, [name_f]Coraline[/name_f].

• Most of the Addams Family, although [name_f]Wednesday[/name_f] is my favorite.
  • Pup Flannigan from Sorry For Your Loss
  • [name_m]Enzo[/name_m] from The [name_m]Art[/name_m] of Racing in the [name_u]Rain[/name_u] (especially within the context of why he has that name)
  • [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_m]Gold[/name_m] [name_m]Watt[/name_m], from [name_f]Darling[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_m]Gold[/name_m]

There are also so may great names in The Hunger Games series (I also love the naming conventions in the book and how they vary by district) and The Uglies Series (ex: [name_u]Tally[/name_u] Youngblood)

Oh! And Laszlo Cravensworth on What We Do in the Shadows (tv series).

Ones I haven’t seen yet (sorry if I missed em)

Books
[name_m]Finnick[/name_m] O’dair (the hunger games)
[name_m]Uriah[/name_m] Pedrad (Divergent)
[name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] (The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of [name_f]Ava[/name_f] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f])
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] Arkanian (Enders game)
[name_u]Dallas[/name_u] [name_m]Winston[/name_m] (the outsiders)
[name_m]Draco[/name_m] Malfoy ([name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m])
[name_f]Margo[/name_f] and [name_u]Quentin[/name_u] (paper towns)
[name_m]Enoch[/name_m] O’[name_u]Connor[/name_u] (Miss Peregrines Home for peculiar children)
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m] (a midsummer nights dream)
[name_u]Nico[/name_u] di [name_m]Angelo[/name_m] ([name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u])

Movies and TV
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] and [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] (the 100)
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Swan[/name_f] (once upon a time)
[name_f]Prudence[/name_f] Blackwood and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] Spellman (chilling adventures of [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f])
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_u]Chase[/name_u]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] “[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]” La Bouff and [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] ([name_f]Princess[/name_f] and the frog)
[name_m]Adonis[/name_m] and [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]Creed[/name_m] ([name_m]Rocky[/name_m])
[name_u]Glenn[/name_u] Rhee (the walking dead)
[name_u]Dean[/name_u] Winchester (Supernatural)
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Tiberius[/name_m] [name_m]Kirk[/name_m] ([name_f]Star[/name_f] Trek)
[name_u]James[/name_u] “[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]” [name_m]Ford[/name_m] (Lost)