Charles Jasper

I’m really loving the flow of Charles Jasper. I would want to call him Jasper though. How much of a pain is it to go by your middle name? Jasper Charles just doesn’t flow as nicely to me. Or is it fine? I keep second guessing myself on it. Charles is a big family name on both sides of my family and all the men named Charles that I know go by Chuck, including my dad and my favorite uncle. I want to use the name, but don’t want him becoming another Chuck.

Editing to add that if I had been a boy I would have been Charles Patrick and gone by Patrick. :person_shrugging:

Another edit: I think it’s because I’m used to Charles being in the fn spot. Add to that a name ending in -er and I’m used to hearing that in the mn position with my son’s name, Benton Grover. I guess the point is that I often call my kids by their first and middle names when I mean business and Charles Jasper sounds much more natural to me while Jasper Charles feels awkward. I’m quickly realizing based on this thread that that’s just a me thing though and I wonder if I could get used to the flow of Jasper Charles. I have time to try!

[name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u] flows a lot nicer than [name_u]Charles[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] to me! :sweat_smile: I’d stick to [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] in the first name spot. While going by your middle name isn’t the end of the world, it can definitely be a bit annoying and just an unnecessary hassle in my opinion.

4 Likes

I would name him [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] if I wanted to call him that. Who knows? If you name him [name_u]Charles[/name_u] as a first he could embrace [name_m]Chuck[/name_m] (ugh). What about [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charleston[/name_u]?

1 Like

Honestly I think it’s absolutely fine, and sensible if there are multiple Charleses! [name_f]My[/name_f] grandfather went by his middle name his whole life. But I do agree that [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u] sounds even better!

2 Likes

I have strongly considered [name_u]Charleston[/name_u] in the past because my family has an accidental N ending theme and my dad and uncle’s MNs end in -ton. [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charleston[/name_u] does flow better to me too. Hmm… That might go back on the list. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve known a few people who go by middles so it’s not a huge deal, but i guess I just don’t see the point if you won’t be using [name_u]Charles[/name_u] as the main name? He might as well have [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] up front. [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u] sounds good to me for what it’s worth, flows well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would choose [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u] (so handsome, BTW) as it is just expected that the name we go by is our first name and while it may not be a huge deal I think it just saves occasionally having to correct people. We seldom say our first and middle names together but, seriously I think it sounds fine.

2 Likes

I like the flow of [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u] better, and do worry about the [name_m]Chuck[/name_m] association. I also don’t really like going by your middle name. Lots of people do it, and it isn’t weird at all, just not something that I like.

But if you like [name_u]Charles[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] called [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], then go for it!

2 Likes

I think [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u] sounds just as good as [name_u]Charles[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and I definitely prefer it if you’re going for “Jasper”.
I don’t think [name_m]Chuck[/name_m] would be the go-to nickname nowadays, [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] seems to be much more popular!

2 Likes

i think [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u] flows much better. I think you should call him [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] if that’s your favourite. I know a kid who is only called by his middle name, so i think it’s fine. But i’d go with [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u].

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s hard to go by your middle name . But I do love the flow of [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u] . I think it’s great you still get to use the honour name too

2 Likes

I would also choose [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u], with the family name in the middle and the name you want to use first.

2 Likes

[name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u]!

2 Likes

My name is Elizabeth Ann. Growing up I went by Ann. I made a promise I would never name my children and have them go by their middle name. It is very inconvenient when you get older. That being said I love Jasper Charles!!

2 Likes

charles jasper is cool, and sounds like it has some family significance to you! i don’t think it would be too much of a hassle to have him go by ‘jasper’. i know a lot of people who do that! :fox_face:

1 Like

I prefer the flow of [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u] but [name_u]Charles[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] is lovely all the same!

1 Like

He’ll be fine going by his middle name if that’s what you choose to do… my granny went by hers most of her life. [name_u]Charles[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Charles[/name_u] both sound fine to me, but it is up to you.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] mother was raised by being called by her middle name and she will and has advised anyone considering doing the same to just not do it…… she said growing up being called by her middle name was an endless annoyance that only ended when she got remarried and dropped her first name and made her middle name her new first name.

2 Likes

[name_u]Charles[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] is so handsome! I know a lot of people that go by their middle names. It’s not a big deal.

1 Like