Charles vs. Charlie

It seems many berries prefer the nn [name]Charlie[/name] to the full name [name]Charles[/name]. I’m the opposite - I really like [name]Charles[/name], especially w/ our last name. [name]Charlie[/name] + our last name (starts w/ “L”, 3 syllables) sounds too “L” heavy.

I love the nn [name]Cal[/name], but don’t like it with a last name beginning w/ “L”. I think [name]Chip[/name] is kind of cute, but not sure if I’d want to use it all the time (like it school).

[name]How[/name] do you feel about [name]Charles[/name] as the commonly used name, instead of going to [name]Charlie[/name]? Or other more obscure nn’s for [name]Charles[/name]?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

[name]Charles[/name] is a very handsome name. I’m with you - I prefer the full name [name]Charles[/name] with a nn.

I think [name]Charles[/name] can certainly work as the commonly used name. If you are looking for more nn options, [name]Chaz[/name] might work. Or perhaps Charlesy ([name]Charles[/name] with an ee sound at the end).

Personally, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Charles[/name] (as you can see from my signature :D) and I really don’t like [name]Charlie[/name]. If our baby is a boy, he will probably not have a nickname; I’d prefer it that way. Other nickname ideas, though - I know a [name]Charles[/name] who goes by [name]Chas[/name] / [name]Chaz[/name], and I think that’s pretty cool. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Charles[/name]! I can see the appeal of [name]Charlie[/name]. I might use it for the first year or two of life, but I think [name]Charles[/name] is just perfect on its own. [name]Cal[/name] is a great nickname for the pre-teen/teen years :wink:

Thanks for the feedback. I really do not like [name]Chuck[/name] or [name]Chuckie[/name] at all, and I’m not wild about [name]Chas[/name] either. We would have to do just [name]Charles[/name] if we chose this name. I have a bad association w/ [name]Charlie[/name] that dates back to elementary school…can’t shake the image.

But, love [name]Charles[/name]. I was a big [name]Little[/name] House fan as a kid!

I really like both [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name]. [name]Charles[/name] is so distinguished, classic, and handsome, yet not overused (at least, I don’t hear it much on kids.) To me, [name]Charlie[/name] is so fun, friendly, and kind, like a good buddy. But if you don’t like [name]Charlie[/name], just use [name]Charles[/name]. I had a good friend in school who always went by [name]Charles[/name]. It is only one syllable after all; it doesn’t really need to be shortened! [name]Charlie[/name] is the only nn I like for [name]Charles[/name] (though I guess [name]Chip[/name] is okay…) I really, really dislike [name]Chuckie[/name]/[name]Chuck[/name], and [name]Chaz[/name]/[name]Chas[/name].

As a girl who’s been nicknamed [name]Charlie[/name], I personally love the name. Now when considering naming a son [name]Charles[/name] I’m struggling for a nickname. [name]Chaz[/name] makes me think Spaz, [name]Chuck[/name] is not a nice sound, and [name]Chase[/name] just makes me think of the bank. I’ve thought a bit about [name]Chip[/name], but it feels a little forced in this circumstance.

[name]Cal[/name] is a new one to me, I would have thought it was a nickname for [name]Calvin[/name] and the like. Is it really used for [name]Charles[/name]? I’m surprised I’ve never seen that.

[name]Cash[/name] can also be a nn for [name]Charles[/name] - wdyt?

I prefer [name]Charles[/name] to [name]Charlie[/name]. I know many little boys who go by [name]Charlie[/name] but haven’t met a young [name]Charles[/name]. I think it’s handsome and distinctive. I also feel that it’s not always easy to transition from a cute nn as a child to the full name as an adult. I know several men who go by [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Tommy[/name], [name]Robbie[/name], [name]Billy[/name], [name]Eddie[/name], [name]Teddy[/name] because that’s what they’ve always been called (there’s nothing wrong with that but it’s something I think about when considering nn options). I do prefer [name]Charlie[/name] to the other nn options for [name]Charles[/name] (with the exception of [name]Cal[/name]).

If you want to call him [name]Charles[/name], then go for it! Once he gets to school, the kids will call him [name]Charles[/name]. Those who don’t, he can remind of his name, or go along with whatever nn they bestow upon him. He can still be [name]Charles[/name] to you! High school or with sports…that’s tougher. By then, he can make up his own mind about what he wants to be called!

I am a [name]Jennifer[/name], always a [name]Jennifer[/name], never [name]Jen[/name] or [name]Jenn[/name] or [name]Jenny[/name]. I still get called all those nn’s. I have to remind people that I go by [name]Jennifer[/name]. People mostly catch on. Those who don’t…well, I probably don’t want to talk to them anyway!

I have had people reply that they are going to call me [name]Jen[/name] if they want to. Some people are nervous with the full name (say that they feel like they’re my parents yelling at me) so they end up calling me something different altogether - JLS (my initials), JS, by my last name, etc. All of that is ok with me, I don’t want anyone to be uncomfortable. I do think it’s weird when people resist though.