Charlize or Charlene?? Opinions please!!

Hey everyone! I wanted to know your opinions about whether you perfer baby girl name [name]Charlize[/name] or [name]Charlene[/name]? Which one is more appealing and elegant? What are the main differences to you between these two names? [name]Do[/name] they give off different images when you hear them?
Opinions please!! Thank you!

i believe [name]Charlize[/name] is a more elegant name, [name]Charlene[/name] sounds quite antiquated to me.

[name]Charlize[/name] is classic. Steer clear of [name]Charlene[/name], it’s dated and seems lower class to me.

I like [name]Charlene[/name] better! “[name]Charlie[/name]” or “[name]Charley[/name]” for short?!

[name]Charlize[/name] sounds more modern. [name]Charlene[/name] sounds more traditional and southern. They are both pretty, I think it depends on what kind of name you are looking for. I think, personally, if I were to choose between the two I would go with… [name]Charlize[/name].

I prefer [name]Charlene[/name]. [name]Charlize[/name] sounds more exotic, and maybe a bit sexy, to me, while [name]Charlene[/name] is softer and sweeter. I can only see [name]Charlize[/name] [name]Theron[/name] with the name [name]Charlize[/name], but I can imagine a sweet, cute little girl with an adorable Southern accent with the name [name]Charlene[/name]. [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Lena[/name]/[name]Leni[/name] are cute nns for it, too.

I agree with the pp, [name]Charlize[/name] feels modern while [name]Charlene[/name] feels more traditional and southern. I’ve known a [name]Charlene[/name] and she wasn’t that great of a person, so that’s ruined it for me a little.

[name]Charlize[/name] makes me think of [name]Charlize[/name] [name]Theron[/name], but that’s not a bad image at all.

All in all, I like [name]Charlize[/name] much more than [name]Charlene[/name].

My vote goes to [name]Charlene[/name] cause it’s more down-to-earth sounding and I don’t have a strong association like I do with [name]Charlize[/name] (as in the actress, [name]Theron[/name])
I was thinking of these names when I was pregnant as a way to nn [name]Charlie[/name] without using [name]Charlotte[/name]!

My mother is named [name]Charlene[/name] and she hates it. She has the sh sound at the beginning, but a lady at my church also is named [name]Charlene[/name] and pn the ch sound. Mom always says her name makes her think off low class people. Go with [name]Charlize[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Charlize[/name]. [name]IMO[/name], it is more pleasing to the ear.

In Australia, [name]Charlene[/name] is the name of [name]Kylie[/name] Minogue’s most famous soap opera character - it’s an incredibly powerful association in any country that syndicated ‘Neighbours’ - Aus, UK are the biggest but it’s fairly widely recognised and known beyond those. Any child with that name would struggle to hold up her head here!

Generally, I think it sounds very 80s-teased-fringe-and-hairspray, and not very elegant.

I prefer [name]Charlene[/name]. [name]How[/name] is [name]Charlize[/name] classic? To me it’s a very trendy name that wasn’t used at all before [name]Charlize[/name] [name]Theron[/name] became popular. I don’t really like her so to me that’s not a good association.

[name]Charlene[/name] is a beautiful blonde girl. Very friendly, sweet and intelligent. [name]Charlize[/name] is an annoying diva.

I wouldn’t name my daughter [name]Charlize[/name]. The association with the actress is too strong. I only think of her when I hear the name just as I think of the singers when I hear [name]Madonna[/name] and [name]Cher[/name]. Also the actress is still alive and we don’t know where she’ll go in life. She could easily ruin her career, become addicted to drugs and so on. We just don’t know. And if she does something bad it will ruin the name that is so attached to her. I mean most people think [name]Britney[/name] sounds pretty trashy now and that wasn’t the case in the 90s. [name]Just[/name] something to think about.

I love [name]Charlene[/name] with the nickname [name]Charlie[/name].

I think of an overweight woman in her mid fifties when I hear [name]Charlene[/name]. I think [name]Charlize[/name] is sophisticated, elegant, exotic. I’m surprised it hasn’t caught on. People name their daughters [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name], and I only think of [name]Ava[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Loren[/name], so I don’t understand why the [name]Theron[/name] comments. I feel differently about some names ([name]Angelina[/name], [name]Mariah[/name]) but I think [name]Charlize[/name] is wearable.

Wow, I would have never thought, but I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Charlize[/name]! I think it sounds very classy and exotic… and comes with such a cute nick name of [name]Charli[/name]! When I think of the name [name]Charlene[/name]… I picture a redneck in a trailer shouting ‘[name]Charlene[/name]! Get me a beer!’… LOL, sorry just my opinion! I live in the sound so anything ending in ‘ene’ is usual associated with ‘rednecks’. [name]Darlene[/name], [name]Charlene[/name], etc…

Thank you so much for these comments and that was exactly what I got with [name]Charlene[/name] but I needed other opinions to make sure my bad image was right, [name]Charlize[/name] definitely has a more elegant tone

I prefer [name]Charlize[/name] to [name]Charlene[/name]. [name]Charlize[/name] is fresh and modern. [name]Charlene[/name] on the other hand is a little hick-ish and very dated if you ask me.

I just read yrfavoriteseason’s post and agree with the “redneck” lable. I didn’t want to say it at first, although I know I used a similar term, “hick-ish” but since I’m not alone, being from the Southern US, the imagery associated with [name]Charlene[/name] and any name ending in -ene is very strongly associated with a “redneck” and a lower class not to mention an older generation.

[name]Charlize[/name], although carrying an association with the actress, I don’t think it’s too strong that it can’t stand on its own in the real world. Although it is not my style, i think it’s wearable.

I think there’s a huge difference between [name]Ava[/name], [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Charlize[/name]. [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] have been used for decades. [name]Charlize[/name] hasn’t been used at all. It made the top 1000 for the very first time in 2004, when [name]Charlize[/name] [name]Theron[/name] won an [name]Oscar[/name]. A name that has been around for such a short time can’t be a classic. To me it’s a made up name popularized by a single actress. [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] are names that had been around for decades before [name]Gardner[/name] and [name]Loren[/name] were even born. [name]Charlize[/name] reminds me of names like [name]Shakira[/name] and [name]Shania[/name] with the difference that [name]Shakira[/name] and [name]Shania[/name] actually have a longer history as given names.

[name]Just[/name] my opinion. I love [name]Charlie[/name], by the way. It’s adorable.

I don’t really like either, they sound a bit harsh to me. But I’d like to suggest something like Charlia. I know it’s a made up name but I met the sweetest little girl with this name once (spelled more cr3@tiv3ly though) and loved it. Good luck!

Another vote for [name]Charlize[/name]! [name]Charlene[/name] seems dated to me.