Charlotte nicknames - avoidable? Alternatives?

A difficult surname to work with has seen a fair few names thrown aside before we seriously start working out what to call our little one. Sigh.

We both like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] but aren’t sure how inevitable [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] or [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] would be. I don’t hate either but don’t love them as much as I love the full name. There’s a male celebrity [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] Surname who we’re aware of and I’m not sure if [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] with our surname may lead to teasing. [name_m]How[/name_m] likely is it we could use [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] in full, or are there any other nicknames we’ve not considered?

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is totally usable in full. I have never known a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] called “[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]” or “[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]”. The ones I’ve met are always just [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], so it does seem to work well in full. I think you’re good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think nicknames for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] are definitely avoidable. It’s one of those names for me that I wouldn’t automatically want to shorten unless I heard the parents using a nickname, and maybe not even then.

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] in full is totally doable.

Not sure if this will be helpful or throw a further spanner in the works, but most of the Charlottes I’ve known have been shortened to “[name_f]Char[/name_f]” (pronounced [name_f]Shar[/name_f]), if at all.

2 Likes

All of the Charlottes I know go by [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. I feel like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is definitely a name where nicknames are avoidable!

1 Like

i think charlotte is a beauty on its own and definitely doesn’t need a nickname but if the traditionals like “charlie” aren’t your speed, some alternatives are:

coco
cc / cece / cici
cha cha
lola
carly
cherry
harlie
chaz
char
cat
carrie
arlie
arla
callie

1 Like

This is my niece’s name and she doesn’t go by [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] very often - only her aunts and uncles call her that, and even then, she’s usually just her full name. I also like the options of [name_f]Arla[/name_f] and [name_f]Lola[/name_f] as nicknames!

1 Like

Thanks everyone, that’s already made me feel more reassured about potentially using the name

2 Likes

I don’t know any Charlottes who had nicknames. [name_f]Char[/name_f] sometimes maybe, but not [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] or [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] unless they asked for people to call them that.

1 Like

Definitely useable! I think it as long as you don’t start by calling her [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] or [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] will stick

1 Like

[name_m]Ive[/name_m] known several Charlottes who’ve just been [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], no nickname. I think you could avoid them

1 Like

I know four Charlottes – one goes by [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] all the time, one goes by [name_f]Char[/name_f] occasionally and the other two are just [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. I think it’s one of those names where it’s really up to you whether they go by a nn or not.

1 Like

I have only known one [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], and she always went by [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. It is very likely and plausible your daughter would go by [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].
Here are some other nicknames:
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_f]Cherry[/name_f]
[name_u]Ari[/name_u]
ChaCha
[name_m]Art[/name_m]

1 Like

Like other PP, all the Charlottes I know go by their full name, some with [name_f]Char[/name_f] as an occasional pet name, but all predominately or exclusively [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. I think the nicknames are definitely not universal.

1 Like

I’ve never known a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] who went by a nickname.

1 Like

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is our 1 our of 2 names we have narrowed our choices to, so I love the name. This is something I’m battling with our other choice ([name_f]Catherine[/name_f] - I hate [name_f]Cat[/name_f], [name_f]Cate[/name_f], [name_f]Cathy[/name_f], etc). But I hate nicknames in general. MY son has a long name and thankfully I only have one consistent friend who keeps calling him by a nickname she came up with smh. Everyone else, including family, friends, and teachers call him by his name because we do. I hope it sticks and I’ve heard if you stay consistent with it, you can probably make it happen! [name_m]Just[/name_m] always call her [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and don’t let anyone call her a nickname directly. [name_f]My[/name_f] friend only says his nickname to us. I don’t let anyone call him that to his face. He can decide later if he wants to go by something shorter or different. So can my future daughter.

I also only know one [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and she never went by a nickname.