Charlotte vs. Violet

I adore both names and I find it hard to know how I “feel,” so I appreciate it when others can deliver strong critiques.

Now, I’ve loved Violet since I was young, but after seeing so many comments about how “harsh” it is and how it looks/sounds like “violent” or “violate,” I’ve slightly fallen away from this earliest of name loves. But I met a little girl named Violet, and I remember noticing her name. It just stood out as so strikingly beautiful, I wonder if there’s something within me that just can’t ever stop loving Violet? Some say that it will date horribly and that the name Violet will one day seem apt for a crusty, old shrew. That wretchedness is not an appealing image.

As for Charlotte, she’s a newer love. I didn’t grow up with a lot of Charlottes, so when I heard the royals Kate and Will named their daughter Charlotte, I was blown away by its fresh, wholesome, British storybook beauty. But I’m doubting myself. I knew a child named Charlotte (among many at a church function) and I had forgotten that fact until my recent love for the name Charlotte started to blush, so I’m worried that my heart truly belongs with Violet even though Charlotte has now replaced Violet on my name lists.

Here are some other names on my list: Eva, Lily (I used to massively prefer Violet, but again, Lily is a newer love), Julia, Diana (as a middle name), Lucille (as a middle name), Margot, Elise (as a middle name), Sylvie, Celine, Caroline (as a middle name), and Ruby.

For boys, I love Max (just Max), James, Jack, Alexander, and Gabriel (as a middle name).

Which do you prefer? Charlotte or Violet? And what are your opinions on names you loved as a child versus names you’ve learned to love through your name hobby?

2 Likes

i prefer violet!

i think that violet ages well, because, if you look, it used to be a vintage name, until it’s made its popular comeback now. perhaps violet is close to “violent,” etc, but my first association is a sweet, soft flower and the shade of purple. nicknames vi and lettie are adorable!

violet + eva, violet + margot, and violet + sylvie would all be precious sisters! as for brothers, i like violet + max, violet + gabriel, and violet + james.

violet lucille, violet diana, and violet celine would be cute combos!

charlotte i’m neutral on. she has a lovely, warm, british feel, but a little plain to me? the nickname charlie is cute, as is lottie, but she’s just not for me i think is all! :blush:

charlotte + julia, charlotte + lily, charlotte + sylvie, and charlotte + ruby would be nice together! charlotte + james, charlotte + gabriel would also be adorable.

charlotte diana, charlotte eva, charlotte julia, and charlotte ruby are all sweet.

and to answer your last question, i cannot honestly remember names i loved as a young child. i think that no matter which name you pick, both seem very meaningful to you–i get the impression you love them both very much! they certainly fit the vibes of your names: a familiar, classic, light feel.

1 Like

Thank you! I love your description of my naming style. I do love both names a lot and overthinking may be my biggest hurdle right now.

Gorgeous combos :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is nice but I think of [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and the Chocolate Factory and she was annoying and became a giant blueberry lol.

I liked [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] as a kid. Its what I named my American [name_f]Girl[/name_f] doll. Still like it :+1:

1 Like

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] holds a place in my heart. While I can hear the violent it would not deter me. After all violet’s are extremely beautiful flowers and I believe the association is much stronger.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is also extremely popular in our circles

1 Like

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] blows [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] out of the water in my opinion. It’s spunkier, fresher, and much more memorable, as you were saying.

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the name [name_f]Violet[/name_f] as a first name; it just has this crispy, sharp sound - like a wave breaking, autumn leaves crumbling in the hands of a small child, a late summer breeze blowing through a wildflower meadow.
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], to me, doesn’t feel quite as lively, it’s a lovely name but gives me hot chocolate and wool blankets vibe, which is lovely but feels very passive compared to Violet’s lively imagery.

2 Likes

I prefer Violet. It’s a beautiful, whimsical name that is at once vintage and fresh, and to me it very much timeless and not likely to go out of style.

I’ve also heard the ‘violent’ connection but for me it is so conspicuously distinct from the word and its connotations, even though it’s only one letter off. Being a word name Violet evokes the image of its definition, both the flower and the colour, which are so soft and pretty and thus antonymous with the word ‘violent’.

I say if you’ve loved it since childhood go for it! Charlotte is a lovely classic too but it just feels a little less exciting to me, perhaps because I’ve grown up knowing so, so many Charlottes.

Of your other names, I love Margot Elise, Celine Ruby, Max Gabriel and Jack Alexander.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I love the elegance and literary ties of [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] is one of those names I’ve never really ‘got’. It’s nice, sure, but I much prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. That being said, I think [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is perfect for you. If you feel like you have always loved her and always will, then that sounds like a pretty sure sign that [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is the name.

1 Like

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] is my favourite! [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is certainly solid and classic but [name_f]Violet[/name_f] has more fire and personality to me. I love its spikier sounds and compact look.

1 Like

I like Violet, personally! I’m partial, as my little sister is named Violet, but I don’t think it’s a harsh or shrewish name… I’ve never heard anyone say that before. Any name could be the name of a crusty old shrew… they’re certainly not all named Violet! I love this name!

1 Like

Charlotte gets my vote!

1 Like

I personally prefer [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. To me it isn’t violent at all. To me [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] seems even harsher than [name_f]Violet[/name_f], probably due to the sharp ‘ch’ sound. I love that [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is a plant name and I personally also think the ultraviolet radiation connection is cool.
However, both names are nice choices and I think they go well with your other favourites (only [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] are quite matchy).

On the topic of names you loved as a child versus names you’ve learned to love through your name hobby, I think childhood favourites can have this very special place deep in your heart but I also think it’s totally fine to fully embrace newer favourites.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], only because I could never get on board with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] for some reason :woman_shrugging:. And I love the color!

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] to me feels softer and slightly sturdier, while also being elegant. To me it feels frills free and serious , but with a hidden playful side :two_hearts:

1 Like

These are the thoughts that have kept me from ever falling in love with Violet, personally. But I will say that any time I’ve heard the name, I’ve only thought how fresh and pretty it sounds! It really is such a classy name, and I honestly have a hard time seeing it age terribly. I see it wearing well over the years.

Of the two, I personally prefer Charlotte for its softer sound and elegant feel. But it does sound to me like your heart belongs more to Violet. There’s no reason you can’t love and keep both on your list, but if I had to vote for one for you, it would be Violet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I personally prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] but it seems like YOU like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] better. I don’t think it will date poorly or that it sounds too harsh.

I don’t think I would use most of the names I really liked when I was a child, though I still have a soft spot for some of them.

1 Like

Honestly, I could do without either one personally. I see Violent and hear it. However I do like V and [name_f]Vi[/name_f] for nicknames.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is unappealing even though my grandpa and great grandpa were [name_u]Charles[/name_u]. I also know so many who have a [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]. If I had to choose I’d go with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] because I only know of 1.

1 Like

I am biased because [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is top of our girls list right now but I vetoed [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] pretty quickly because it’s growing popularity has made it lose its luster for me. When the royals used it six years ago I found it fresh and beautiful, but now I hear it everywhere that I just think “oh another one”. I know [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is growing in popularity too but where I live I don’t know any whereas I know probably a dozen or more charlottes (I’m in the south). I also love the vintage appeal of [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. We have similar taste in names because I also have a [name_f]Julia[/name_f]! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I prefer [name_f]Violet[/name_f] for you. I think it’ll date, as it’s risen about 700 spots in the last 20 years, but I don’t think it’s so awful if it does. Is it bad that I I can guess [name_f]Linda[/name_f] is probably about 60, or [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] is about 25? They’re not bad or embarrassing names. And the “crusty shrew” hypothesis is worst-case scenario. There are so many old-lady names. How many of them make you think of old grouches? I never noticed the “violent” association until someone pointed it out, and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is actually a rather delicate name, IMO, not harsh.
If much of Charlotte’s appeal for you is based on its freshness, I would choose a different name. If you like it in and of itself though, it is very sweet. [name_m]Just[/name_m] not as bright or interesting as [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

1 Like