Chaz

am i weird for liking this name?
it’s a pretty cool name i think…
from what i remember, i think it’s a nn for [name]Chester[/name]… i can’t see actually naming a child [name]Chester[/name] though… it’s more like something i’d call a cat… but [name]Chaz[/name] just seems super cool!!
Can [name]Chaz[/name] stand on it’s own?
Is there another name it can be short for?
what do you all think?

I think of [name]Chaz[/name] as a nickname for [name]Charles[/name].

Like [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] wrote, it sounds really jazzy to me. I’m more of a [name]Charlie[/name] person for [name]Charles[/name], but I think that [name]Chaz[/name] sounds cool.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

It sounds similar to the name [name]Chad[/name], which you might like.

Unfortunately the only thing I saw when I read the title was ‘chav’, not really something a kid would want. Sorry!

[name]Chuck[/name] is another nn for [name]Charles[/name] if you’re looking for those.

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I think of it as a man’s nn for [name]Charles[/name] or [name]Charlie[/name]. In the UK it would be used by the type of man who enjoys binge drinking and slapping women around. His mates would hold nicknames like Gaz, [name]Baz[/name], Fat [name]Tony[/name], Sketchy [name]Pete[/name], Daz, [name]Dano[/name], etc. Their girlfriends and daughters might have names like [name]Chelsie[/name], [name]Chardonnay[/name], [name]Leanne[/name], [name]Chantelle[/name], [name]Courtney[/name], Shazza, [name]Brittany[/name], [name]Jade[/name], [name]Jordan[/name], [name]Kloe[/name], [name]Bobbie[/name]-lee or [name]Destiny[/name].

I would avoid [name]Chaz[/name] :slight_smile:

I recently started to really like [name]Chaz[/name] and added it to my list of favorites. It is a nickname for [name]Charles[/name], but I think it stands on its own very nicely. (It can also be spelled [name]Chas[/name].) I like the name [name]Chester[/name] as well. Personally, I don’t think I would be brave enough to use [name]Chester[/name] as a first name, but I would admire someone who does. I think it would also work as a middle name (but not with [name]Chaz[/name] as the first name).

Very funny Canadianne! This is pretty much my association with the name as well – a little used car salesman or something . . . maybe where you live, it might be different. It also makes me think of [name]Chas[/name] which is slightly better but to me, but very preppy, sort of snobby sounding.

Yes, I’ve still been thinking about this name. I think for [name]Chester[/name] that [name]Chet[/name] works as a nice nn, without the unwanted connection to used car salesmen and drunken lads :slight_smile:

I don’t like [name]Chaz[/name] very much, actually. To be honest, I adore [name]Chester[/name]! It’s adorable, and I believe I played with a sweet little dog named [name]Chester[/name] at the shelter which I helped at (but didn’t work at). His name was either something close to [name]Chester[/name], or [name]Chester[/name]. Can’t remember xD But I’ll always have that connection. <33 He was sweet, yet hyper and full of energy, and just the most darling dog you’d ever meet. (:

Thanks for the laugh, Canadianne! :slight_smile:

I think it’s uber-preppy. In the US, that’s been my impression of it.

As nickname it’s okay, but as I don’t like it as first name…

Again, I agree with Canadianne here. I think [name]Chester[/name]/[name]Chet[/name] is cute for a little boy and good on a grown up too. I know one too - he’s always gone by “[name]Chet[/name].”

I knew a [name]Chaz[/name] in high school. Yes, it was his full name and yes it worked well on it’s own. His last name was Ware if I remember correctly…so [name]Chaz[/name] Ware, a very short snappy name. He was a nice guy, relatively clean cut and he was in the “cool” group. I don’t know whatever became of him but I could see him having been a frat boy in college :wink:

A note on [name]Chester[/name] - it rhymes with molester :S

I really like the name and plan to use it if we have a baby boy. I believe it is English. It is a variation of [name]Charles[/name] or [name]Carl[/name]. My husband just lost his brother named [name]Carl[/name], so we thought this would be nice. But not long after I decided I liked it did i discover that [name]Cher[/name] and [name]Sonny[/name] [name]Bono[/name]'s daughter/son [name]Chastity[/name] [name]Bono[/name] who had a sex change also goes by the name “[name]Chaz[/name]”. Oh well, there’s always a name out there for another face. I’m over it. I still like the name. The biggest problem is finding a middle name to go with it.

It’s a nickname for [name]Charles[/name]. I have always thought it was a bit cheesy. I prefer [name]Charlie[/name] or even [name]Chuck[/name] or [name]Chip[/name]. I don’t care for it on it’s own.

I’d agree, using [name]Chaz[/name] on it’s own would be akin to naming a baby [name]Chuck[/name] or [name]Chip[/name], to use those examples. In UK it is such a ‘nickname amongst mates’ that I would fear for a first name only [name]Chaz[/name]'s professional life. It’s just not the sort of name you would put on your resume, like Spike or Shaggy or something.