Chinese sister names

I need Chinese names for two sisters. These will be middle names for the sisters.

As you might know, typically in Chinese, sibling will share one part of their given name. For example Jiarong and Jiakai. In my case I want only single character names so for example Rong and [name_u]Kai[/name_u]. However the meaning or sound of the two names should go together in some way to indicate they are sisters.

Currently I am considering:
[name_m]Ming[/name_m] (light) and [name_f]Mei[/name_f] (beautiful)
[name_f]Mei[/name_f] (beautiful) and Lei (flower bud)
[name_u]Min[/name_u] (clever) and Zi
[name_m]Ming[/name_m] and Liang (both mean bright, light)
Qiu (autumn, pronounced cho) and Chun (spring)

Which do you like?

And please suggest more if you are familiar with Chinese names.

I would also like [name_f]Mai[/name_f] but am unsure if that is commonly a name for girls. Anyone know?

I know virtually nothing about Chinese names (I need to rectify that…), so this comment will probably not be very helpful. However, I used to know a girl called [name_f]Mai[/name_f], and she was Chinese. :slight_smile:

#1 Ming and Liang (both mean bright, light) - this is my favorite because they have the same meaning at the root (like sisters are from the same root) but the meaning is expressed differently (like sisters will express different personalities) AND they somewhat sound similar (like the way sisters can vaguely look alike, even when they look different). Of course, I don’t actually know if Ming and Liang sound similar, since I don’t speak Chinese. But on paper they look as if there will be a vague similarity in sound.

#2 Ming (light) and Mei (beautiful) - I like fact that they start with the same letter, a subtle alliteration connecting sisters. In my imagination, it would be like Sarah Ming and Holly Mei. To me this is a beautiful connection without being too much the same. And both are pretty on their own so - hopefully – there is no fighting about who got the prettier name! If they grow up in the U.S. however there may be a perception that Mei got the more American name than Ming. Sometimes sisters fight about crap like that but some don’t (we did).

#3 Mei (beautiful) and Lei (flower bud) - I am torn here. I think they are both beautiful sounds. But in general I don’t like rhyming names or match-matchy names for siblings. For example, in English, Cindy & Windy, I don’t like. But Mei & Lei are middle names. So it is actually really okay. Because then it is like a hidden rhyme, since they will mostly go by their first names. Still it is my third favorite choice.

Hope this was helpful! Good luck :slight_smile:

I know I am extremely biased but my favourite Chinese name is my own name, [name_f]Zhen[/name_f] [name_f]Mei[/name_f] (meaning treasure/precious and beautiful, respectively). :stuck_out_tongue:

From your list, I love [name_m]Ming[/name_m] and Liang & Qiu and Chun. I love how they have similar meanings. :slight_smile:

Other ideas:
Yun (cloud)
Li (pretty)
Lan (orchid)
Ai (love)
Xue (snow)
[name_f]Yue[/name_f] (moon)
Lien (lotus)