Chloe's sister Anais

[name]Hi[/name] as you know I suggest a name to my daughter each day and today’s name I suggested was [name]Anais[/name]. My daughter thinks it is a pretty name. I think it goes with [name]Chloe[/name] really well.

What is your opinion and can you suggest some mns please?

Maybe this one will go on her short list?

[name]Anais[/name] is brilliant with [name]Chloe[/name]. Good suggestion - no I did not follow that you offer a name per day to your daughter. Great idea!

I do think [name]Anais[/name] is very pretty (and I love it with [name]Chloe[/name]), but I have to let you know that I’ve heard it mispronounced as “anus” (or something very close to it) by people unfamiliar with the French pronunciation.

[name]Anais[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Violette[/name]

Other names you may like:

[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Astrid[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isis[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Lillias[/name]/[name]Lileas[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

Best wishes to you, [name]Rollo[/name]! :slight_smile:

Oh, [name]Jill[/name] that way of pronouncing it may be a problem. Is there a way to Anglicise it without butchering it?

I like the authenic spelling, and think it’s very pretty. (For me, changing the spelling ruins a name…) The first time I heard [name]Anais[/name] mispronounced, I was at my friend’s house in the 80’s. Her dad had purchased a perfume called “[name]Anais[/name] [name]Anais[/name]” for my friend’s mom, and after she opened her gift, he excitedly said to his wife, “It’s your favorite, honey, Anus Anus!!!” I was stunned, and tried not to laugh. :slight_smile:

He’s a very, very bright man, so either he was joking or just unfamiliar with the correct pronunciation. :slight_smile:

A little [name]Anais[/name] may have no issues with pronunciation, but I thought you might want to know about this, just in case.

Yes, I advise against naming your daughter [name]Anais[/name]. Too many people will mispronounce it or purposely tease her with “anus”. There are so many pretty names that you can use instead. Why risk your daughter having to deal with such teasing all of her life and feeling self-conscious about her name?

By the way, [name]Chloe[/name] is a gorgeous name! I think you named your first daughter very well! You will still find an excellent name for this daughter! Keep trying!

Blessings and best wishes to you!

I don’t think you will get too many people pronouncing it THAT way … you will get mispronunciation, but more along the lines of an-ayss or an-yez, I think.

That said, her friends and family, as well as her class and teachers at school and future colleagues, will quickly come to know the pronunciation, especially as most will hear it from you or her before they ever see it written down.

Also, I think it is reasonably well-known now … if it is ever really a problem and she dislikes it, she could always nickname herself [name]Annie[/name], or something of the sort, and many schools will let students write nicknames like that on the register if it is what they ordinarily go by.

It is so pretty, matches [name]Chloe[/name] in origin and it is lovely that your daughter thinks it is pretty - it gives her a special connection to her little sister if she helped to pick the name.

I think you should go for it!

I say, go for it! [name]Anais[/name] is a beautiful name.

I suspect most people won’t say “anus,” but may mispronounce it as “ah-NAYS.”

Really, though, is it so very terrible that some will mispronounce it at first? I say this, having firsthand personal experience with a very unusual name that NO ONE could ever get right when I was a kid - many still can’t, I might add :wink: . My name is [name]Shoshanah[/name], and my elementary school teachers especially always notoriously mispronounced my name. One year, a teacher called me “Show-hahna.” Another teacher called me “Sho-shannon.” As an adult, people usually say “[name]Shoshona[/name]” or “[name]Shoshoni[/name],” but I’ve even had someone say “sashimi” LOL!

Sorry, I digress. What I’m getting at, though, is that kids will always find something to tease - if it’s not your name, then maybe your ears or your clothes or whatever. As a kid, I did wish for a more “normal” name, but I like my name now; I suspect [name]Anais[/name] would like her name as an adult, too. If someone mispronounces my name, I just gently and kindly correct them. No big deal.

Sure, you could try to phoneticize (is that a word?) [name]Anais[/name], but I agree with the poster above: the original spelling is so cool. The US is becoming a more international country every day, and I suspect that within 10-20 years, most people will become much better at pronouncing foreign-sounding names.

@erzulie33/[name]Shoshana[/name] - I think it’s great that you share your experience with your name frequently mispronounced, and that it’s not that big a deal. I think by trying to approach the naming process by attempting to eliminate all sorts of trouble bounds you to a smaller set of very bland names. My name has been mispronounced, my last name quite a bit more often, but I do not understand what the big deal is - what people call you and what they think about your name… you can really not offer so much protection and come up with the perfect name. So what if it’s more popular or becomes more popular or some people pronounce it one way or another, or it’s kind of unusual so we have to be careful if it’s too unusual, people will say it wrong.

I love names. I f-word love the huge variety of names. I wouldn’t pick a lot of them but I adore meeting people with unusual names from other countries that just don’t get used a lot and the pleasure people have when falling in love with a name they love, that’s a huge gift, the longest lasting decision most people make, and some people obviously make mistakes with it, so you want to be so sure nothing will ever detract from your child’s experience of having this name. The people who need to know the name will learn what it is after they are corrected. I also think it’s important to respect people may have an accent. [name]Anais[/name] is [name]Ah[/name]-nah-eese, but if you meet someone whose language is different, they will do the best they can. A couple years ago, I worked with two women named [name]Mari[/name]. One was MAHR-ee, and the other one pronounced it like [name]Marie[/name]. They were both from other countries, different countries, Dominican Republic and Greece. You think they didn’t get called [name]Mary[/name] all the time, or do you think I or most Americans can duplicate the accent that sounds like they each call themselves? The Latina [name]Mari[/name] has sons [name]Nicholas[/name] and [name]David[/name], which she says different than the rest of us. NEE-ko-lahth and Dah-VEED, and nobody whose first language isn’t Spanish goes out of their way to pronounce their names like that. I went to grade school with a [name]Terri[/name] (don’t know how she’s doing now for an example), who had to correct everyone that her name was not [name]Terry[/name], it was pronounced Tuh-[name]REE[/name], and oh my stars if you called her Tree. That’s not a good way to send a little one off either.

So basically, if people are not French enough to get [name]Anais[/name], then your daughter can correct them. If they associate the name with ‘anus’, who is the stupid one, huh? If people fell apart every time their name was messed with accidentally or on purpose, that wouldn’t be a really good way to travel through life. To deny beautiful names you love because you think kids are too cruel is so over-protective. To deny beautiful names you love just because there might be confusion is really overstating a minor problem.

Anyone who has a major problem with how their name is pronounced isn’t really going to be a strong person overall. [name]Just[/name] because a lot of people might be too ignorant to pronounce [name]Anais[/name] correctly on the first try is not a good enough reason to lower things to their speed.

I like [name]Anais[/name] (but would be bit worried about silly mispronounciations) but it is a beautiful and uncommon name for now, at least, [name]How[/name] about :
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Anais[/name] [name]Avril[/name]

I think [name]Anna[/name] might be a better fit with [name]Chloe[/name].

I wouldn’t stray from the traditional pronuciation of anna-eez. Very pretty name.

you could always go for Annai instead, that way there would be no ‘anus’ pronounciation problems :slight_smile:

Or use the trema–[name]Ana[/name]”s–which may at least make people stop and think about pronunciation before blurting something embarrassing. Some names just don’t translate in the US yet sadly. Or use it as a middle name! :slight_smile:

I’m with the previous posters…even the most simple of names have to be corrected on spelling or pronunciation at times. It’s not the end of the world.