Choose a middle name (all have family significance)!

See the results of this poll: Which middle name?

Respondents: 66 (This poll is closed)

• Penelope Grace : 25 (38%)
  • Penelope Maren/Marin (MARE-in - choose a spelling below!) : 19 (29%)
  • Penelope Ruth: 22 (33%)

1 [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
2 [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name]
3 [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

I like [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] the best, I actually think its refreshing and it means “friend” which I think is kinda sweet. I think the middle name [name]Grace[/name] is way overused and [name]Maren[/name]/ [name]Marin[/name] is okay. If you went with that I’d spell it [name]Maren[/name]. However I do think that you should choose the mn that has the most significance to you and makes you happy.
btw, [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is gorgeous too :slight_smile:

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is best in flow, but [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Marin[/name] is prettier in sound, and I like that it’s a steady connection, and [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] is best in meaning, but I think it’s too stuffy as you put it.

[name]Grace[/name] or [name]Marin[/name] gets my vote.

I love all of them!

edenlyla13 - [name]Do[/name] you prefer the either spelling of [name]Marin[/name]/[name]Maren[/name]?

I really like [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] as it’s the most special to you and a bit different too. I love [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] as middles and have used them myself but they are very well used! [name]Maren[/name] is ok but I like [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] more.

I like [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name]. Beautiful choices.

I chose [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] because of the way you described its significance to you. However, if you choose to go with [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name] I would spell it with the -en ending rather than the -in ending. [name]One[/name] of my sister’s best friends growing up was [name]Marin[/name], pronounced ma-[name]RIN[/name] and I have lived in [name]Marin[/name] (ma-[name]RIN[/name]) county in [name]California[/name]. I have always heard this pronunciation for the -in spelling.
Good luck with your decision! I think all 3 would be good choices.

All your middle names make nice combinations. If your last name is one syllable, I would go with [name]Maren[/name]. [I used to live in [name]Marin[/name] (“ma-[name]RIN[/name]”) County, [name]CA[/name]. I would definitely go with the spelling [name]Maren[/name], which is very pretty.] If your last name is two or more syllables, I think [name]Grace[/name] or [name]Ruth[/name] would flow best. However, in the end, I hope you use whichever middle name makes you the happiest.

To me, [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] is by far the best because of the emotional meaning of the person and the distinction of the name itself. [name]Grace[/name], yes, ubiquitous now, and with so many [name]Marys[/name], both in your family and in the world over the past few hundred years, it’s harder to attach it to any true significance.

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name] is absolutely GORGEOUS! Such a knock-out. It’s spunky, sweet and sophisticated, all at once. Also, another spelling of [name]Maren[/name] is [name]Merryn[/name]. [name]Just[/name] thought you might like another choice!

[name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Maren[/name] is my favorite. Like zaelia and everwaiteing, I would spell it -en so that people don’t pronounce it like [name]Marin[/name] County.

I really like [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name].

I like [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Maren[/name], with that spelling.

I love [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Grace[/name] for you, [name]Shannon[/name]! There’s just a sweetness and, well… grace about it that I really love. And I think you could keep [name]Posy[/name]/[name]Posey[/name] as a nn due to the “ss” sound in [name]Grace[/name], as well. :slight_smile:

All of them are nice, though, and I think [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] works rather well, too. Much as I adore [name]Maren[/name] (this spelling!) in general, I don’t especially love it with [name]Penelope[/name].

I do honestly love [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Rose[/name], though! I adore the nn [name]Posy[/name] for it, and it’s just so strikingly sweet. I vastly prefer it to all your other options, and I’m not even that fond of [name]Rose[/name], lol. Are any of your family members born in [name]June[/name]? Because the birth flower of [name]June[/name] is the rose… I’ve thought about using [name]Rose[/name] for that reason alone, especially since my sister (who was a [name]June[/name] baby)–her favorite flower is the rose. :slight_smile: It might be a nice connection if it works. Or even if your parents’ anniversary was in [name]June[/name] or something?

I chose [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Grace[/name] but then I read your post and I think you should def do [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] since that one means the most to you! Not at all stuffy. Very pretty!

I love [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Grace[/name] – it’s so beautiful. And I also like the way [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] sounds and flows, but from your description, it sounds like [name]Ruth[/name] is still alive, which eeks me out a bit. If you’re okay with that, it sounds like that name means the most to you and it really is a gorgeous combo. I don’t care for [name]Maren[/name], but if you do go with that, I agree with pps that you should spell it [name]Maren[/name] so as not to confuse it with the county in [name]CA[/name].

Thank you guys for the feedback! I am definitely going to go with the [name]Maren[/name] spelling if I end up picking that for the combo!

I find it interesting that the majority (though it was close) picked [name]Grace[/name] since most people are shooed away due to its banal place as a middle name. I was entertaining it as an idea because I thought it flowed well, but I think [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Maren[/name] have stronger connections for me especially since [name]Maren[/name] is part of my middle name too! Of course, all of this will be moot if I get married and my husband wants input :wink: Who knows? Maybe he’ll have a family member named [name]Rose[/name] that he would like to honor!

Also, if my sister ever has kids, she will probably choose [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] as the name, which honors both of our grandmas (it doesn’t bother me that they are still alive, but in 10 years which is the soonest I would probably be having kids, I don’t know if they will be :(). Would it be strange if [name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] were cousins? That would probably sway me toward [name]Maren[/name] as the middle name, but [name]Penelope[/name] is kind of moving down the list a bit from number 2 to number 3 or 4 (and I don’t anticipate having four daughters though I wouldn’t mind naming them all!)