Choosing A Video Game Character Name

I recently spotted this thread on another site and found it quite interesting.

Background: [name_u]Tali[/name_u]'[name_f]Zorah[/name_f] is the name of a video game character from a very popular game series (Mass Effect).

Here is some information about the actual character: Tali'Zorah nar Rayya | Mass Effect Wiki | Fandom

Now back to the thread in mind, the topic has well over 300 replies with many commenters believing the parents will be ruining their child’s life with this sort of name.

The father has explained that they love the name because of how it sounds and that they took inspiration from the game. They are not trying to make a statement. His wife hasn’t played the game but fell in love with years ago when he first played it. Its been “the” name for a long time.

My thoughts: Honestly I don’t mind it. Taken out of context the name is rather pretty, both names by themselves are legitimate. To many it would be like a smoosh name.

Although personally I would take the apostrophe out.

Considering that us berries tend to be more open minded about unusual names I was wondering what are your thoughts?

I’d take the apostrophe out as well. It’s one I thought about for a hot minute. It’s one of my favorite games, and she’s such a wonderful character. I shed actual tears over the character. People name their children after books and movies, why not video game characters? I think even if I didn’t have a positive association with the name because of the character, I’d find it pretty. Talizorah is what I’d put on the birth certificate.

There’s nothing wrong with it at all. There are plenty of people who wouldn’t even know it was from a video game. I don’t know much about that series so I wouldn’t have known that’s what it was from. Although I’d prefer [name_u]Tali[/name_u] to be the first name and [name_f]Zorah[/name_f] as a middle instead of them being mashed together. It’s still pretty as one name though.

I think that if the parents love that name enough to gift it to their child, then they should also make every effort to contact the people who created that video game and try to find out from them what the rationale was behind the creation of the name. Was the name based on actual, existing names with meanings? Was the name created as a portmanteau of a couple of names, or words from foreign languages? Who came up with the name? Is there an interesting story behind it? And then the parents should write it down.

Because, someday, their child is going to want to know something about her name. It would be a greater gift if the parents can give their child some meaningful history to that name.

I too would’ve dropped the apostrophe and possibly made it the first/middle combo instead, but otherwise I don’t see an issue. [name_m]Both[/name_m] [name_u]Tali[/name_u] and [name_f]Zorah[/name_f] are legit names by themselves.