Ciaran or Kieran?

I’ve loved this name for a long time, but I’m torn between the two spelling variants. They have slightly different vibes to me: [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] feels softer and more poetic, while [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] feels a little more energetic and assertive. Both are a positive feel/image, just a little different. I also like the historical and traditional standing of [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] being the original spelling, but the practical ease of [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] for an American child is also appealing. Since I can’t decide and both versions seem to have significant merits for me, I thought I’d open it up to you guys. Which do you prefer and why? Thoughts on the name in general?

I really like the name in general! And I definitely get the different vibes you get from each spelling.

I would have to say that [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] is probably the better option for an American child to eliminate the potential spelling and pronunciation issues that would come with [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m], though I do love the original spelling. Either way, it’s a great name! :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I really prefer [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m]. My sweet little nephew is [name_u]Kieran[/name_u], & I still prefer [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] because I’m a name nerd who prefers spellings closer to the original. ;). I completely agree w/you about the imagery of each too. I think having the more authentic spelling is worth it to have it misspelled occasionally. [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] isn’t that popular anyway, & my nephew’s name gets misspelled plenty spelled [name_u]Kieran[/name_u].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I vote [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] because of foreseeable pronunciation issues.

[name_u]Kieran[/name_u] looks more readable to me and it clears up the pronunciation.

1 Like

I love this name and I am a teacher and have encountered both versions. My vote goes to [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] in the U.S. This anglicized spelling is no less authentic than [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], which has become a quite well accepted variation. I love traditional spellings and understand the dilemma, and really, I’m sure you will be happy with your choice either way.

1 Like

I think [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] is the simplest choice :slight_smile:

[name_u]Love[/name_u] the vibe of [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] over [name_u]Kieran[/name_u], and I think it is worth the pronunciation challenge.

I definitely prefer [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] over [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] and as someone who grew up with an Irish spelling ([name_f]Brighid[/name_f]) in [name_u]America[/name_u] pronunciation isn’t really the hardship people act like it is.

Aesthetically [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m] but practically [name_u]Kieran[/name_u]… so my vote goes to [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] as it is important to me to give children practical names, it can be frustrating to deal with misspellings etc your entire life.

Both are great, but I personally prefer the way [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] looks. It will also probably be the easier spelling, I agree. However, I think people are pretty used to having to ask how to spell and pronounce names now, so I don’t think Ciaran would be that difficult.

1 Like

[name_u]Kieran[/name_u] for sure! Stronger, easier for the kiddo to deal with as far as less risk of mis-pronunciation etc. [name_u]Love[/name_u] the name!

My advice depends on you–or rather the child you’d be naming–rather than a definite preference for one or the other spelling. For someone with a connection to Irish heritage or Irish culture, I’d go with [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m]. If not, I’d say [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] might be a better choice due to its more straightforward pronunciation for Americans.

Another consideration: [name_f]Do[/name_f] you want to encourage a nickname? If so, I think [name_m]Kier[/name_m] works better as a short version.

It’s a lovely name either way (but if I had to choose, I think I’d go with [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m]).

I like the name. I get the same vibe you do OP with the different spellings. I slightly prefer [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m].

I think [name_u]Kieran[/name_u] looks a bit nicer than [name_m]Ciaran[/name_m]. Either or is lovely though

1 Like