Clara or Lara?

See the results of this poll: Clara or Lara

Respondents: 43 (This poll is closed)

• Clara : 36 (84%)
  • Lara: 7 (16%)

They rhyme to me, both with the car rhyme, but it may be a geographical thing. In the UK all those sort of names, [name]Clara[/name], [name]Lara[/name], [name]Zara[/name], [name]Tara[/name] etc, all rhyme with car. Only exception is [name]Sara[/name], which can be said to rhyme or said the same as [name]Sarah[/name], depending on the person. I much prefer [name]Lara[/name] to [name]Clara[/name], especially the way you’re pronouncing it, which is effectively [name]Claire[/name]-a, and I don’t like the name [name]Claire[/name] at all for some reason.

Thanks essjay! Yes it is interesting with these names. In the US the rhymes with air is pretty widespread, but there is variation. We have friend with a [name]Cara[/name] with car sounding like car : D. Poor thing though, the name is never said that way on the first go (although of course once people know her they get it).

I was recently at an event with a [name]Maren[/name] - I knew one in the past and for her, [name]Mare[/name] rhymed with mare. This one however pronounces [name]Mar[/name] to rhyme with car. People were saying it that way - people who knew her - but what I noticed was people would “slip” sometimes without realizing it (I think) and say it more like more-in (kind of like [name]Maureen[/name] with a different second syllable). So interesting because I have this problem with [name]Lauren[/name] (sometimes comes out lore-in, sometimes lar-in), although not [name]Laura[/name] (probably since [name]Lara[/name] is a differently spelled name - it blocks it!). This is going on in the US more broadly - there are regions where orange is always arange, [name]Florida[/name] is always Flarida, but for a lot of us I think there’s a change in progress, and it’s fun when you hear it happening “in real time” (if possibly annoying for people whose names are affected).

I do like the pronunciation of [name]Clara[/name] more like the British or Spanish for that matter…but, I just don’t think anyone in the US would ever say it that way on first try!

I don’t know why, but [name]Lara[/name] sounds dated to me while as [name]Clara[/name] is classic. I absolutely adore [name]Clara[/name] and it’s on my list, too. I think [name]Clara[/name] sounds much better with your other favourite names that I see in your signature. Good luck!:slight_smile:

I’m [name]Lara[/name] but voted [name]Clara[/name]. :slight_smile:

My dad named me and he passed away when I was a baby, so I cherish my name and wouldn’t change it for anything, but it does get mispronounced all. the. time. (It does not rhyme with [name]Sarah[/name]! And I also get called “[name]Laura[/name].” Grr.)

[name]Clara[/name] does seem much more “classic” and timeless than [name]Lara[/name]. And I’m not a fan of the matching initials, so I would lean away from pairing [name]Lily[/name] & [name]Lara[/name]. They don’t “go together” as well as [name]Lily[/name] & [name]Clara[/name] anyway, [name]IMO[/name].

[name]Love[/name] [name]Clara[/name]!

[name]Clara[/name]! I prefer [name]Clara[/name] all around, and really, how cute are [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Clara[/name] together? It’s quite perfect, imo, actually. :slight_smile:

Thanks all! [name]Clara[/name]'s the clear winner, which is pretty much what I expected, but good to see confirmed : D.

Thanks [name]Ash[/name]! I am really liking [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Clara[/name] together, too : D.

Oh and @[name]Lara[/name] [name]Jane[/name] - thanks for sharing your story! : D.