Clara vs. Claire

We seriously can’t decide. Torn right down the middle. The middle name will be [name]Elisabeth[/name] (a family name). But we go back and forth.

We lean toward [name]Clara[/name] because it feels a bit rarer, and also my wife thinks it’s a bit more “petite” though we can’t explain why we think that.

But then we consider that [name]Clara[/name] will be abbreviated to “[name]Claire[/name]” in conversation, so do we just skip the abbreviation?

No idea. We probably can’t go wrong.

Oh, and she’s probably going to be born in the next three hours, so if anyone has any thoughts, now’s the time. :slight_smile:

I personally like [name]Claire[/name]. That probably won’t be the popular vote, but I tend to think if the nn you will be using can stand on it’s own, why not just use the nn as the fn (if that makes any sense)? [name]Clara[/name] is very pretty though and is much more unusual. Personally it just makes me think of [name]Clara[/name] from Back to the [name]Future[/name], whom I, for some reason, cannot stand.

What’s your last name? The flow maybe your deciding factor.

Also, I have to throw out the name [name]Clarinda[/name] to you. It’s very old-fashioned and rarely heard, but I think it’s pretty.

Congratulations on your baby girl!

I would choose [name]Clara[/name], as it has such a dignified sound, yet is very pretty and simplistic. Also, [name]Claire[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] runs together when you see it … Clairalizabeth. But that might just be me!

Really, though, they are both such classics that you can’t go wrong with either. You might just know upon seeing her, too.

Good luck, and congratulations!

[name]Both[/name] are great choices. It would be hard for me to decide, too. [name]Clara[/name] feels more vintage, and has the option of the nn [name]Claire[/name]. [name]Claire[/name] feels very sophisticated. I think I would pick [name]Clara[/name] to go with [name]Elizabeth[/name]. [name]Clara[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] sounds a lot like my daughter’s name [name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], and my husband and I have been really happy with the flow of her two names. [name]Laura[/name] loves her name, too.

Congratulations on your new baby girl! My vote goes to [name]Clara[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name]. I like [name]Claire[/name], but I just love the simplicity of [name]Clara[/name]. They are both beautiful names! You can’t go wrong =)

I would definitely go with [name]Clara[/name]- its so beautiful, one of those few perfect all around names, and I think it looks prettier written and said aloud than [name]Claire[/name], though [name]Claire[/name] is also nice. Best of luck!! :slight_smile: and congrats!

I prefer [name]Clara[/name], but it kind of depends on your last name.

If you have a one syllable last name, you should definitely go with [name]Clara[/name]. But if it’s 2 or 3, [name]Claire[/name] might work better.

[name]Claire[/name] is my choice! It seems much more classic to me.

I vote [name]Clara[/name]! My friend picked this out of nowhere 3 years ago and it’s adorable on her little girl (who we refer to affectionately as [name]Clara[/name] [name]Belle[/name]). Good luck and congrats!

I’d go with [name]Clara[/name] also…and if someone shortens a name that’s already so short, then you need to ask them why they are so lazy! =) It’s just an extra “a” sound, is that so taxing on someone that they would need to cut it off and say “[name]Claire[/name]” ? I mean, how much time and energy does that save, really? [name]Just[/name] tell people, “no, her name is [name]Clara[/name]”. Beautiful name!

I like [name]Clara[/name] better but [name]Clara[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] pretty much sounds like [name]Claire[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] since the vowel at the end of [name]Clara[/name] and the vowel at the beginnin of [name]Elizabeth[/name] blends together. So if you’re firm on [name]Elizabeth[/name] as a middle name, I’d use [name]Claire[/name]. Otherwise, I’d shorten the middle name to use [name]Clara[/name] ([name]Clara[/name] [name]Belle[/name] or [name]Clara[/name] [name]Beth[/name])

I prefer [name]Claire[/name], but [name]Clara[/name] is so gorgeous also.

[name]Hi[/name] guys, thanks for the responses. The eventual winner was…[name]Clara[/name]! She was born at 7PM Thursday night, and, if I do say so myself, is beautiful!

All the best to everyone.

Congratulations! Her name is gorgeous! Best of luck to you and your family =)

[name]Clara[/name] is gorgeous! I love it!

Congratulations, and best wishes.

[name]Clara[/name] is fabulous! Felicitations! :slight_smile:

A big welcome to Miss [name]Clara[/name], and a huge congratulations to you! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update!

Best wishes! :slight_smile:

[name]Both[/name] nice.
[name]Claire[/name] is more popular therefore more common.
[name]Clara[/name] has a more exotic, romantic edge. It is also the lead character’s name in the Nutcracker ballet story.

Congratulations, I bet she is really beautiful! And [name]Clara[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is one of my very favorite names, just love it!

[name]Clara[/name] is beautiful and congrats on your wee princess

http://babynamelover.wordpress.com/