Clashing Styles... What Do You Do?!

Ok so I was thinking about naming styles today- what do you do when they clash terribly? What if one person likes classics like [name]Noah[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Levi[/name], [name]Kate[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Caroline[/name]… And the other likes names like Zydrunas?! Where is common ground?

I would maybe give the ‘crazy’ style the middle name slot. If I loved that person a lot a lot a lot, haha. More likely, I’d try to compromise by finding legit but uncommon names for the children. Names like [name]Noah[/name], [name]Thomas[/name], [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Levi[/name] are pretty commonly used but are classics, even Biblical. I’d just find something along those lines but less common.

I imagine this must be the biggest problem for some parents.

Trendy/Vintage - some great vintage names have elements which fit in with the current trends, meaning that they appeal (hopefully) both to someone who prefers trendy names and another who likes 1920s style. Examples are [name]Evelyn[/name] (the -lyn ending) and [name]Rosalie[/name] (the -lie ending).

A not ideal compromise, but a compromise nonetheless, when one parent likes very unusual names and the other likes tamer choices, is to pick a long, unusual name which can be nicknamed to something familiar. Alternatively, some classic names can give very quirky nicknames - [name]Victoria[/name] “[name]Plum[/name]” springs to mind.

[name]Auburn[/name]

any other helpful suggestions? [thank you for the ones that have given their advice already :slight_smile: ]

Hmm…That’s really tough. I’m a little afraid I’ll have this problem with my husband when it’s time for us to name children (no kids for us yet) since he likes super popular names (ones that are in the top 10) and I prefer ones that are less common.

One compromise we’ve agreed to try (I say try because I’m not ready to give up on my favorite names yet) choosing family names. He feels more comfortable choosing an uncommon (or in his words “weird”) name if it’s in honor of a family member.

Husband has also said he’s more open to choosing an uncommon mame if it means something special to us (whether it be through the names literal meaning or a special meaning we associate with it).

[name]Hope[/name] that helps.