Clio/Cleo pronounciations?

Would you pronounce these names differently? I always thought [name]Cleo[/name] was CLEE-oh and [name]Clio[/name] was CLY-oh, but the entry for [name]Clio[/name] has the [name]Cleo[/name] pronounciation. Have I been pronouncing [name]Clio[/name] wrong all along (and I won’t be offended if you say I am) or are both right?

I pronounce both of them CLEE-oh, but there might be another pronunciation that I don’t know about. Another interesting bit: [name]Clio[/name] is the name of a Greek muse, and [name]Cleo[/name] is a short form of [name]Cleopatra[/name].

Good luck!

I would pronouncce them the same too - both Clee-oh.

I pronounce them the same also.

Ditto

Isn’t the original Greek spelling Kleio?

I always thought it was the [name]Cleo[/name] pron.

disa_lan, yes, it is Kleio. But it was changed to [name]Clio[/name] during the [name]Roman[/name] era. I much prefer [name]Clio[/name].

I also like [name]Clio[/name] best :slight_smile:

Oh and my grandma’s has a male neighbor in his 70’s whose name is [name]Clio[/name]/[name]Cleo[/name]. I’m not sure which spelling he uses.
[name]Just[/name] thought I’d throw out that tid bit of information.

Huh, it seems to be unanimous then! It actually makes more sense pronounced Clee-oh - thanks everyone!

and disa_lan, that’s interesting- I’ve never heard of either being used for a male before!