Collins nn Kolly?

Thoughts on Kolly as a nn for [name_f]Collins[/name_f]?

It’s kinda cute, very girly!! I would spell it [name_f]Collie[/name_f] or [name_f]Colly[/name_f] personally, the K doesn’t make too much sense unless you spell it [name_f]Kollins[/name_f]

1 Like

To be honest, I really dislike it. [name_f]Collins[/name_f] itself is not my style, but fits with the surname-y, preppy vibe of a lot of popular names. Kolly or [name_f]Colly[/name_f] is 100% a dog (collie) for me. A cute dog! but it’s not an association I would want for a person.

I would think of collie as in the breed of dog or maybe mishear it for [name_f]Colleen[/name_f]. it’s okay, but I prefer just [name_f]Collins[/name_f] personally :blush:

Cute!! But yes [name_f]Colly[/name_f] or [name_f]Collie[/name_f]

I think Kolly is a cute nickname for [name_f]Collins[/name_f] but I think it’ll always get misspelled as [name_f]Colly[/name_f] or [name_f]Collie[/name_f]

I would do

[name_f]Collins[/name_f] → [name_f]Colly[/name_f] / [name_f]Collie[/name_f]

[name_m]Or[/name_m]

[name_f]Kollins[/name_f] → Kolly / Kollie

1 Like

So you don’t think [name_f]Colly[/name_f] could be pronounced “solly” when you see it on paper? Not sure why the C looks off to me :thinking:

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Kollins[/name_f] nn Kolly or [name_f]Collins[/name_f] nn [name_f]Colly[/name_f]? I’m so torn! I like the traditional spelling but the K nn - for some reason [name_f]Colly[/name_f] looks weird to me - like [name_m]Solly[/name_m]?

1 Like

Reminder that [name_f]Collie[/name_f] is a dog breed.

As someone who was almost named that, I would advise against this nickname and go with [name_f]Linny[/name_f] or Linz or [name_f]Olli[/name_f].

All I can hear is Colic.

I definitely prefer the spelling [name_f]Collins[/name_f], and I don’t think anyone would say [name_m]Solly[/name_m] for Colly!! Other spelling ideas are [name_f]Collie[/name_f], Coli (which may be too close to colic), or Coly !!

I’d spell it [name_f]Colly[/name_f], and while I don’t love it, I can imagine it coming sort of naturally.

Thanks for your input! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have a preference on which one? I’m so torn!

I would use Collins nn Colly - so not the same as Collie (dog breed). I think Kolly/Kollie makes too much of the nickname - it makes it much more deliberate. If I named my kid Collins, I would take a more natural approach to the nickname - Cole, Colly, Coley, Linsy, Oli, Coco, and just see what feels right and sticks.

Edit - I think Colly or Collie over K starting letter

I prefer [name_f]Collins[/name_f] to [name_f]Kollins[/name_f] for sure

As for [name_f]Colly[/name_f] / [name_f]Collie[/name_f] are reading your other comments I will say I don’t think [name_m]Solly[/name_m] when I see [name_f]Colly[/name_f]. When you said [name_m]Solly[/name_m] my mind immediately went more to [name_m]Sully[/name_m] and I got thinking more about [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] and [name_m]Sullivan[/name_m]

Any who if it is a worry what about Coli which is similar to [name_f]Cali[/name_f]?

I think I like the [name_f]Collie[/name_f] spelling to the [name_f]Colly[/name_f] spelling more and maybe that’s partly because [name_f]Collie[/name_f] does make me think of the dog but my mind also goes to the name [name_f]Callie[/name_f] and I’ve never known a Callie/Callie/Cali who’s gone by [name_f]Cally[/name_f]

Still though don’t let any of that push you away from the name because [name_f]Collins[/name_f] is beautiful, classic sounding name and I’ve noticed it’s been getting more love in recent years (ie it’s not a ridiculous name)

Other nickname ideas if you’re curious - Co / [name_f]Coco[/name_f] / [name_m]Coll[/name_m] / Call / [name_f]Lin[/name_f] / Lins / [name_f]Linny[/name_f] / [name_f]Linny[/name_f] [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] / [name_m]Cole[/name_m] / Cola / [name_f]Coley[/name_f]

1 Like