Collins or Vivien?

Hi everyone! I am 7 months pregnant with my first - a girl. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I had pretty much decided on the name [name_u]Vivien[/name_u], but I recently heard the name [name_u]Collins[/name_u] and really liked it. We have a stuffy [name_f]English[/name_f] last name and [name_u]Collins[/name_u] seems more fun and less old fashioned.

Any strong feelings either way? Also, any other baby names that are in the same [name_u]Collins[/name_u] ballpark?

Thanks in advance!!

2 Likes

Firstly, welcome to Nameberry!
Definitely [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]! I think this way for a few reasons:
a. [name_m]Collin/name_m is normally viewed as a masculine name. If you are fine with that then thereā€™s no problem, of course!
b. [name_u]Collins[/name_u] sounds a bit odd as a first, for me - I automatically think of [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] [name_u]Collins[/name_u], author of The Hunger Games, which is good but at the same time, I canā€™t see [name_u]Collins[/name_u] as anything but a surname.
c. I recently watched a commentary video about a YouTuber called [name_u]Collins[/name_u] Key, and one of the main jokes in the video was about how his name is [name_u]Collins[/name_u] and not [name_m]Collin[/name_m]. Kids can be mean and I see this as a potential way that kids would bully her.

However, the more time that Iā€™ve spent writing this post, the more I like [name_u]Collins[/name_u]. Itā€™s honestly a tough choice and you should do what you and your husband think is best! Both would work and [name_u]Collins[/name_u] would be a good way to balance out your surname.

2 Likes

I like both [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] and [name_u]Collins[/name_u], but I slightly prefer [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] (and even more, [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] or [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], but thatā€™s just me being picky!). I think it sounds lively, not stuffy! And the nickname [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] lightens it up even more, if you like that. In terms of other names in the [name_u]Collins[/name_u] ballpark:

Campbell
[name_u]Sutton[/name_u]
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_u]Leighton[/name_u]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]
[name_u]Landry[/name_u]
[name_u]Jensen[/name_u]
[name_f]Winslet[/name_f]
[name_u]Holland[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]

1 Like

Collins is cute. I like it better than a lot of surname names. [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] is a lot different, so maybe you keep both as options and see which fits. I also think of ā€¦

Blair
[name_f]Greer[/name_f]
[name_u]Honor[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlow[/name_u]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]

1 Like

Vivien would be my preference but [name_u]Collins[/name_u] is suggesting a completely different vibe.

In the same vein, Iā€™d suggest
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]
[name_u]Mirren[/name_u]
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u]
[name_u]Barrett[/name_u]
[name_m]Tallis[/name_m]
[name_u]Darby[/name_u]
[name_u]Darcy[/name_u]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]

1 Like

I like [name_u]Collins[/name_u]! I first heard it on the daughter in the movie The Blind Side and Iā€™ve liked it ever since. [name_f]My[/name_f] DH and I actually have it on our list (weā€™re big Hunger Games fans, so it has that connection for us) and other surname/unisex names on our list for girls (sorry for repeats):

Parker
[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Clarke[/name_u]
[name_u]Reese[/name_u]
[name_u]Logan[/name_u]
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]/Bryn
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]

1 Like

Congratulations! I personally much prefer Vivien. Itā€™s elegant and timeless whereas, to me, Collins is distinctly a surname and very masculine. It also doesnā€™t have any natural nicknames, not that thatā€™s essential, but Viv/Vivi is just so cute. I think I also donā€™t like it because I donā€™t like the name Colin, and itā€™s obviously the same, just with an s (and another l). Some unisex, surname-y names do appeal to me though. The main ones are Hadley, Marlowe, and Harper.

2 Likes

I personally prefer [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]

1 Like

I much prefer [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]. [name_u]Collins[/name_u] sounds very masculine to me, so itā€™s hard to picture on a little girl. I wanted to suggest [name_u]Monroe[/name_u], since itā€™s one of the more modern, fun and feminine surnames imo!

2 Likes

I think I actually prefer [name_u]Collins[/name_u]. As someone mentioned the daughter on the Blindside is the only reference I have to it being a girl name but thatā€™s why I like it. I feel like lately on Nameberry [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] of all spellings seems to be appearing more and more lately on this forum so itā€™s seeming like itā€™s on the rise. If you donā€™t mind a name on the rise then I feel like either works.

1 Like

Itā€™s actually because of your surname that I prefer [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]? With a heavy/stuffy surname, I like the idea of [name_u]Vivien[/name_u], which seems softer, whereas something like [name_u]Collins[/name_u] Darlington or [name_u]Collins[/name_u] [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] seems more like a law firm than an actual name. I think something like [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] [name_m]Davenport[/name_m] or [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] Covington would be super sweet.

(Maybe I have the wrong impression of your surname, and if I do, then that might change my perspective, but Iā€™ve never really ā€œgotā€ [name_u]Collins[/name_u] anyway, personally, so I think [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] would be my vote regardless? [name_u]Collins[/name_u] does sound fun, but it just seems heavy with a heavy-duty surname to me, lol.)

Good luck!

2 Likes

Of the two, I would prefer [name_u]Collins[/name_u] for fun and frivolity.
What about other unisex names: [name_f]Greer[/name_f], [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_u]Memphis[/name_u], etc.?

1 Like

We know a little [name_u]Collins[/name_u] and Iā€™ve always found her name so spunky! While I do love [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] too (prefer it spelled [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]), I think [name_u]Collins[/name_u] gets my vote this time around.

Thereā€™s been some great suggestions already, so sorry for any repeats.
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u]
[name_u]Remington[/name_u]
[name_u]Laine[/name_u]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]
[name_u]Arden[/name_u]
[name_u]Kennedy[/name_u]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_u]Campbell[/name_u]
[name_u]Tate[/name_u]
[name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_u]Parker[/name_u]
[name_f]Greer[/name_f]
[name_u]Story[/name_u]
[name_u]Blaire[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Carlisle[/name_u]

If I were using one of these names, Iā€™d probably ā€œsoftenā€ it up with a more feminine middle (like [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]!)

1 Like

I really like [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]. To me it sounds chic and elegant, and [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] is a very cute nickname. [name_u]Collins[/name_u] is too much of a surname to me, but Iā€™m not not American so maybe itā€™s a cultural thing.

1 Like

I really love [name_u]Vivien[/name_u], and i think [name_u]Collins[/name_u] sounds like; the surname [name_u]Collins[/name_u], and the male name [name_m]Collin[/name_m].
Overall i wouldnā€™t recommend.
But the again, if you love it go with it its your baby not mine!

1 Like

Welcome!!

Such a difficult choice! I think I would slightly prefer [name_u]Collins[/name_u] as it has that fresh, free, spunky feel, and [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] does too, but to me [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] is more old fashioned and soft/subdued. [name_u]Collins[/name_u] is more quirky, strong, and fun. [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] of any spelling to me is softer and shyer, I know thatā€™s an unpopular opinion.

Some more suggestions:

Perry
[name_u]Maverick[/name_u]
[name_u]Larkin[/name_u]
[name_u]Kirby[/name_u]
[name_f]Kodiak[/name_f]
[name_u]Stevie[/name_u]
[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
[name_u]Channing[/name_u]
[name_u]Rhian[/name_u]

1 Like

This was way harder for me than it should have been!! I do have to say I like [name_u]Collins[/name_u] more, itā€™s so gorgeous to me me!!

Like [name_u]Collins[/name_u]:
[name_u]Hollis[/name_u]
Hollins
[name_f]Callie[/name_f]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
Haddison
[name_f]Addie[/name_f]
[name_f]Haddie[/name_f]
[name_u]Roan[/name_u]

Thanks for the thoughtful response! I definitely see your point about the softness of [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]. Our last name is even more stuffy/ridiculous than the last names you mentioned. Like we should live in an [name_f]English[/name_f] manor, which, unfortunately, we very much do not.

Funnily enough, my husband said the exact same thing as you regarding the name [name_u]Collins[/name_u] - he thinks she would sound like a law firm, not a little girl.

1 Like

I like them both! I know a little girl named [name_u]Collins[/name_u] (spelled Kollyns) who goes almost exclusively by Kollyā€¦which I think is the sweetest thing ever :). I definitely think the nickname adds to the appeal for me, and even though I like them both, [name_u]Collins[/name_u] has more of a fun, youthful feel to me than [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]. For those reasons, Iā€™d personally go with [name_u]Collins[/name_u].

Best of luck!

Definitely Vivien.

To me, Collins itself sounds like a stuffy English last name - and combined with that kind of surname, her name might sound unbearably pretentious. It also comes across as kind of a ā€˜trendeighā€™ name, that might not age particularly well or suit most women. I agree with your husband that it does sound a bit like a law firm :joy: But perhaps Iā€™m just bitter because my parents gave me a similar name, and I always felt it wasnā€™t feminine enough when I was growing up (Iā€™ve since changed it) :joy:

I think that Vivien/Vivienne is very charming, though, and would sound beautiful with most surnames. I also like the nicknames, like Viv, Vivi, Vienna, and Vee.

Best of luck, and congratulations on the little one.

xx

1 Like