Color Names

Hello All! I grew up with a common color last name (brown) and as I’ve put together name lists I allowed myself to fall in love with color first names because what would be the chance of marrying someone with a color last name. Well, now my last name is Redm@n and I’m going through my old name lists and I still love those color first names. Too list a few:
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u] *
[name_f]Sienna[/name_f] *
[name_f]Violet[/name_f] *
[name_f]Scarlet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_u]Sorrel[/name_u]
[name_u]Hazel[/name_u] *
[name_f]Fuchsia[/name_f]
The starred ones are some of my top names. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think these are usable as first names given the color last name? Thank for the help in advance.

P.S. if you have other name suggestions that have the same fun feel as a color name I wouldn’t mind seeing them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

sienna, sorrel, and hazel all seem usable to me! sorrel and hazel have meanings outside of colours, and sienna is popular enough to dismiss the colour meaning (at least where i live).

some suggestions that aren’t explicitly colours:
amber
ash
aurelia (not a colour, but means ‘golden’)
carmine
fawn
pearl
raven
rose
saffron
sage
skye
xanthe (derived from the greek word meaning ‘yellow’)

1 Like

I’d personally avoid [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] (or Ruby) with red but otherwise I think those names are still usable. I like all the ones you’ve starred.

Other ideas
[name_u]Jade[/name_u]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Emerald[/name_f]
[name_f]Heather[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Sapphire[/name_f]

& I agree with pp suggestions of [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] & [name_u]Sage[/name_u]

1 Like

I think they are usable and super cute :relaxed:
Other names that came to mind are
[name_u]Crimson[/name_u]
[name_u]Navy[/name_u]

[name_u]Silver[/name_u] (Australian designer [name_f]Sibella[/name_f] [name_m]Court[/name_m] has a daughter Silver)
[name_f]Emerald[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Goldie[/name_f]
[name_u]Azure[/name_u]
[name_f]Sapphire[/name_f]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_u]Auburn[/name_u]
[name_f]Magenta[/name_f]
[name_f]Coral[/name_f]
[name_u]Blue[/name_u]
[name_f]Topaz[/name_f]
[name_f]Amber[/name_f]
[name_f]Amethyst[/name_f]
[name_f]Cerise[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]

I do love lots of colour names, but would hesitate to use one with a colour surname.

[name_u]Hazel[/name_u], [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] all feel very namey and therefore usable - plus, [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] feel floral to me!!

Some similar names to yours…

[name_u]Indiana[/name_u]
[name_u]Indie[/name_u]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Luella[/name_f]
[name_f]Amoret[/name_f]
[name_u]Laurel[/name_u]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]

Hazel Redman is great!

How fun! This is definitely something I would do if I was in your situation. I think with your new last name, it is a “color” last name but it’s not completely a color, if that makes sense. A color first name will pair nicely because it’s not “Violet Brown” or “Violet White.” “Violet Brownman” and “Violet Whiteman” sound better!

I LOVE those first names! I think “Greene” is a cool first name too (my husband is against it LOL). I like [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] and [name_u]Peri[/name_u] (for Periwinkle) too! [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] is another cute color first name.

[name_f]Pink[/name_f] ( and not only that this name is linked on a great artist )

Personally, I never think of [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], or [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] as colors. As flowers, yes (and “hazelnuts”!), but not as colors. :stuck_out_tongue:

I could definitely see the hesitation with a colour name paired with your maiden name as it is very obviously a colour. However, with your current surname, I would honestly barely register the ‘double-colour’ as it’s just not as clear.

Also, many of these colour names you’ve got here – [name_f]Sienna[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] – are so well-established and the colour association isn’t really so strong. I think any of these could still work. [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] and [name_f]Fuchsia[/name_f] might be a little different, as they are less common and the colour association is a lot stronger.

what about [name_u]Ember[/name_u]?

I really like Scarlet, Indigo and Lavender from your list!

May I suggest Ruby, Lilac, Blue, Teal, Cyan and Ember?! :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], [name_u]Sorrel[/name_u] and [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] are usable with your surname because I mainly associate those names with the plants instead of the colors. I wouldn’t recommend [name_u]Indigo[/name_u], [name_f]Sienna[/name_f], [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f], and [name_f]Fuchsia[/name_f] to you. Maybe you like [name_u]Senna[/name_u] as an alternative to [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] and [name_f]Idony[/name_f] as an alternative to [name_u]Indigo[/name_u].

I love color names too! [name_u]Hazel[/name_u] Redm@n is lovely.