Confident Middle Name for Vanessa?

My husband and I are quite drawn to both [name]Vanessa[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name], and their literary connotations. Our last name is of the Mc- variety (2-syllables), very Scottish sounding. Any suggestions for middle names?

We like;

[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Anne[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Angelica[/name]

We would appreciate your input!

[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Anne[/name]: I personally am not a fan of pairing a first name ending in A with a middle name beginning in A, as it breaks up the name’s flow. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Anne[/name], though, but not with [name]Vanessa[/name]. :frowning:

[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Claire[/name]: I think [name]Claire[/name]'s lovely, but when I hear it after a name ending in A, it sounds like “eclair” (as in the dessert) to my ear.

[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Georgiana[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Georgiana[/name], but something about the flow is off for me. Hmm…

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]: I think [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is great! :slight_smile:

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Angelica[/name]: The name flows, but I’m picking [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Romilly[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Rosamond[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Georgiana[/name] (I think [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] works better, though)
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Marielle[/name]

Good luck and keep us posted! :slight_smile:

Have you considered [name]Vanessa[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]?

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Jill[/name],

Thanks for taking the time to come up with some wonderful alternatives. [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] was our favourite from the start. I was happy to read your suggestions, as we seem to have the same taste.

[name]Don[/name]'t think I can give up on [name]Vanessa[/name] just yet, but what do you think of [name]Miranda[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name]?

Am curious how readers perceive these names. What personality type, or character traits do you associate with [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Vanessa[/name], [name]Miranda[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name]?

Thanks! -E

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Rosie[/name],

That combination wasn’t initially on our radar, because we really loved those names independent of each other. Maybe a part of me was thinking to reserve one for a potential sibling? Now that you mention it, there is a bit of loveliness to it though! I’ll definitely be considering it.

Thanks so much for taking time to post! -E

You’re welcome, [name]Erika[/name]! :slight_smile:

I do like the Shakespearean [name]Miranda[/name], as well as [name]Eleanor[/name]. (I love [name]Eleanora[/name], too.)

[name]Charlotte[/name]: I picture sweet, elegant, and well-behaved.

[name]Vanessa[/name]: I picture a less innocent young lady with a sultry or wild side. She has a taste for drama and the arts, too.

[name]Miranda[/name]: Much like charlotte, I picture a sweet child and lovely young lady. (I don’t picture [name]Miranda[/name] from Sex and the City.) I find this name so romantic. ([name]Do[/name] you like [name]Celia[/name], too?)

[name]Eleanor[/name]: [name]Eleanor[/name] is akin to [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Miranda[/name] for me. [name]Vanessa[/name] has that exotic touch not found in the other names.

Keep us posted! :slight_smile:

I have good associations with all those names; all sound friendly and bright. Beyond that, of the four, I think of [name]Miranda[/name] as a little more artistic or romantic, [name]Vanessa[/name] as a little sassier or more sophisticated, [name]Charlotte[/name] as a little more traditional and/or sweet, and [name]Eleanor[/name] as a little more intellectual (possibly because to me it sounds the most dated so it’s a bit of a wild card, but still an elegant name).

Teabee,

Funny how we want to ascribe certain characteristics onto our children; be it sassyness, intellect, or sweetness. I’m a musician and teacher, so love a little bit of fiesty personality brought into the mix.

My husband, on the other hand surprised me with his fairly ‘safe’ choices. His top picks are [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name], mine [name]Vanessa[/name] and [name]Miranda[/name].

I do love [name]Eleanor[/name], but more so, [name]Eleanora[/name], or [name]Lenora[/name], even [name]Elinor[/name] (from J.[name]Austen[/name]). My name ends in ‘a’, and have to say, I prefer it. Any other alternatives?

What direction would you go in for nicknames for these four names? Are nicknames necessary? (I never grew up with one)

Thanks again for responding to the thread!

[name]Erika[/name]

[name]Hi[/name] Again [name]Jill[/name],

Once more, thanks for your input. Are there any names that you could recommend that are in the same style, with a hint more personality? I love names ending in ‘a’. Not too common, but definitely not overly avant-garde or trendy. Perhaps in the middle position, to add a bit more oomph?

What do you think of

[name]Luisa[/name]
[name]Angelica[/name] or [name]Anjelica[/name] (as in [name]Huston[/name])
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]

• E

Hmm, nicknames, good question. I don’t think they’re necessary and they can just as easily show up without relation to a name (for good or for bad). Sometimes as a child I wanted a nickname, but in the end I can say I’ve been happy without one–for the record, I’m [name]Rachelle[/name], so nicknames weren’t too obvious.

[name]Miranda[/name] - [name]Mira[/name]?
[name]Vanessa[/name] - [name]Van[/name], [name]Vanny[/name], [name]Nessa[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] - [name]Char[/name], [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Lottie[/name]?
[name]Eleanor[/name] - [name]El[/name], [name]Ellen[/name], [name]Nora[/name]

P.S. I like [name]Lenora[/name]! Of course, I’m seriously partial to names that end with “a”

[name]Hi[/name] again, Teabee!

I’m vascillating again. I think I prefer these girls’ names without nicknames, all but [name]Eleanor[/name]. I do like [name]Ellie[/name]. At the same time one can never tell how these things will play out.

Thanks again for your input.

• E

[name]Luisa[/name]: I like it, but I prefer [name]Louisa[/name]. (I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]!) I pronounce [name]Luisa[/name] as lou-ee-sa, while [name]Louisa[/name] is [name]Lou[/name]-ee-za for me.

[name]Angelica[/name] or [name]Anjelica[/name] (as in [name]Huston[/name]): I think it’s pretty, but I’d personally keep it as a middle name to avoid the common [name]Angie[/name] nickname. (I also think of Rugrats.)

[name]Elise[/name]: I really like [name]Elise[/name], but I’m still on the fence as to if it’s too dated. Hmm… I love [name]Anneliese[/name], though!

[name]Zara[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Zara[/name]! [name]LOVE[/name] it!

Let’s see…

[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Cassandra[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name] (I love [name]Eloisa[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name])
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name] (I think the A spices it up)
[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] this!)
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Mirabella[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Mariana[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Odessa[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name])
[name]Simona[/name]/[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Thomasina[/name] (nn [name]Tamsin[/name])
[name]Theodora[/name] (nn [name]Thea[/name])
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]

[name]Do[/name] any of these appeal to you? Have a great day! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Jill[/name],

Thanks (once again) for your input. After thinking on them, the only name that I would seriously consider is [name]Zara[/name], but am very much liking the following;

[name]Beatrix[/name] - fiestier than [name]Beatrice[/name], less common, but still recognizable

[name]Cordelia[/name] - I get both a stately and playful vibe from this. Then there’s the obvious ‘[name]King[/name] Lear’
association. Hmmm…have to think about this one

[name]Eleanora[/name] (I think the A spices it up) - Agreed! [name]Love[/name] this, as does my husband

[name]Esme[/name] - Gorgeous, but I’m not sure that I’m avant-garde enough to use it!

[name]Francesca[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it, but it’s very Italian, (which I am not)

[name]Fiona[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it, but it’s very Irish (same story)

[name]Georgiana[/name]/[name]Georgia[/name] - [name]Just[/name] watched ‘The Duchess’ and really love the name. My grandmother’s
middle name was [name]Georgina[/name], another derivative.

[name]Helena[/name] - Stunning, graceful and with the ‘a’, less common

[name]Isadora[/name] - Always liked this, but my husband is not a fan

And yet…our top four are [name]Vanessa[/name], [name]Miranda[/name], [name]Eleanor/name and [name]Charlotte[/name].

Thanks for all your suggestions, all the same.

[name]Erika[/name]

I think [name]Vanessa[/name], [name]Miranda[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], and [name]Eleanor/name are stunning. :slight_smile: You honestly can’t go wrong with any of your choices! If nicknames are important to you, and are capable of narrowing your choices, maybe that’s something to consider:

[name]Vanessa[/name]: [name]Nessa[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]: [name]Mira[/name] and [name]Randa[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]: [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Char[/name], and [name]Lottie[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name]/[name]Eleanor[/name]: [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Lena[/name], [name]Nell[/name], [name]Nora[/name]