Continuing Combo Confusion

While our femme list of names we’re taking to the hospital is pretty solid, I am still all over the place with my backup list of masc combos. Previous thread was getting convoluted, so I’m starting fresh here with updated parameters. Fair warning: I am apparently physically incapable of being concise, so this is a very long-winded post!

For a little fast-becoming-standard context blurb: I am in a long-term polyamorous relationship with two live-in partners, and we will all be co-parenting together. I’ve called them T and S to avoid confusion. We’re also super pagan, hence all the witchy names!

Combo Guidelines

• We’re planning to use two middle names (which is part of why these combos are in such shambles).
  • For each combo, we are looking for at least one masc name, at least one unisex word or nature name, and at least one name that has an easy femme nickname in case as Nugget gets older, they do not identify with their assumed gender. (T is intersex and non-binary, so having gender flexible options built into the combo is hugely important to us!)
  • Our last name spelled phonetically is KAY-lahr.

And now, on to the names!

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] has been one of my and T’s top names for many years. We love the Narnian references and the oceanic connection, and nickname [name_m]Cas[/name_m] is a nod to one of our favorite fictional characters, [name_m]Castiel[/name_m] from Supernatural. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] also comes with a built-in femme nickname, [name_f]Cassie[/name_f].

Considering: [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]

I’m really leaning into the nautical vibes for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] has them in spades. I love that [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] evokes both the jaunty roguish vibes of incorrigible pirate captain [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], as well as a sense of innocence, gentleness, and whimsy from the association with the lovely little bird. [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] is also chock full of magic and meaning, because the reference to the [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_f]Star[/name_f] is not only a gorgeous celestial reference and nautical tie-in, but it also has connotations of following your inner compass, and trusting your own light to guide your way. It reminds me of The [name_f]Star[/name_f] card from tarot. The only thing that’s holding me back from calling this The One for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is that there is another combo below that uses [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], and I can’t seem to choose between them!

Other options: [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] ____ or [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] ____ [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] ____ [name_u]North[/name_u].

I love the imagery of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f], and my synesthesia gives me such a lovely combination of colours: all ocean blue/green/greys next to leathery brown and rich bronze against a background of navy and midnight with golden stars. But those two S endings back to back make the flow really choppy and give the whole thing a hissing sound that I don’t care for. By comparison, [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] feels very lilting and melodic. I’ve also entertained the thought of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u], but I feel like [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] takes [name_u]North[/name_u] in a very wintry direction, and the combo loses some of those beautiful blues and browns that I get from the other two possibilities, becoming more subdued and silvery.

I’m really stuck on this one! Would you choose [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] over [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]? What suggestions do you have for an [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] or a [name_u]North[/name_u] combo?

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u]

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is another name that has been on our list for years. It’s a beautiful tree associated with fairies and witches and steeped in magical folklore. We also like the similarity to [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], in a nod to one of our favorite fictional characters, [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] [name_m]Lynch[/name_m] from [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] Stiefvater’s series The [name_u]Raven[/name_u] Cycle.

[name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] is a name with very intense personal meaning to me, in addition to the connection with famous bard, wizard, and seer of Arthurian legend. A few years ago, there was a young man in my town who was killed while defending teenage girls from an attack by a white supremacist. This happened on the train I used to ride every day, and his last words were, “tell everyone on this train that I love them.” I will never forget his courage and compassion.

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] are both set for this combo, so we would just be looking for a second middle. [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] provides the unisex element and [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] the masc name, as well as possible femme nickname [name_u]Tally[/name_u]. So free rein can be had with the third name slot.

Considering: [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] Iroh and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]

For a long time, I was set on [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] Iroh, chosen for Uncle Iroh from beloved animated series Avatar: the Last Airbender, but lately I’ve begun to question my choice for two reasons. The first is that Iroh was invented by the creators for the show. It’s comprised of the character for mugwort and the character for the Luo [name_u]River[/name_u] in [name_f]China[/name_f]. I cannot find any information on whether it is used as an actual name in [name_f]China[/name_f]. I love this name, but I’m hesitant to use something invented only for one character that isn’t used anywhere else. I’m also concerned about using a Chinese name when none of us have any Chinese heritage or other ties to the culture.

Someone on my previous thread suggested [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] as an alternative, and I absolutely love this combination. It’s dripping with druidic energy and imagery of the Welsh and [name_f]English[/name_f] countryside, bringing to mind [name_m]William[/name_m] Worthington’s artwork from The Wildwood [name_u]Tarot[/name_u], one of my most beloved decks. I can so clearly see a bright-eyed sparrow perched among the scarlet berries of a rowan tree, while nestled among the roots of the tree is a doorway to a fairy mound. The only drawback to this combo is how much I love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]! I obviously can’t use them both.

Which of these two combos speaks to you more, [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] Iroh or [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]? Which would you choose between [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]?

[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]

[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is a breathtakingly magical name just steeped in Welsh, druidic, and Arthurian folklore. He’s the Welsh variant of [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], and Myrddin [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is the Welsh name of legendary wizard [name_m]Merlin[/name_m]. There’s also a tale about a mysterious castle called Dinas [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] that was caught up in a mystical battle between dragons, which is the origin story behind the red dragon on the Welsh flag.

[name_m]Valerian[/name_m] is a powerful medicinal herb with a sedative effect. The name also references a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Emperor, a badass legendary swordsman in disguise from the Codex Alera series, and the main character in the magical comic-turned-space-opera, [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] and the City of a Thousand Planets.

[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] and [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] are both set in this combo. [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is a masc name with a femme nickname option of [name_f]Em[/name_f] or [name_f]Emma[/name_f], while [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] can be considered unisex because of the herb, and comes with the femme nickname of [name_u]Val[/name_u].

Considering: [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] ____

I am just absolutely stumped with this one. I received many lovely suggestions on my previous thread, but none of them really sang to me. I’m tentatively thinking of dreamy, green, shepherd-in-the-rolling-hills vibes for this one rather than doubling down on [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]'s more warrioresque interpretations, but that’s as definitive as I’ve gotten.

What suggestions do you have for a second middle to [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]?

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u]

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] is one of the few names that stayed on my list when I left the [name_u]Christian[/name_u] faith. I love the look, the feel, the sound, and the way it rolls off the tongue, but I am especially drawn to the associations with wisdom and peace. I also love that there’s at least as much occult lore around [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] as there is Judeo-[name_u]Christian[/name_u] mythology!

[name_u]Fable[/name_u] is a word name that I’ve loved for ages, laden with a sense of magic, story, and mystery. It’s a nod to one of my closest friends who I met playing the eponymous video game series, as well as a reference to S, who is a prolific writer, and even myself, a former children’s librarian.

The combo of [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] is set, with one masc name and one unisex name. [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] also provides a possible femme nickname in the form of [name_f]Lola[/name_f]. (We can’t use [name_f]Faye[/name_f] from [name_u]Fable[/name_u], as S has dibs on this one for her first daughter).

Considering: [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]

I love the celestial, mystical, wizardly vibes I get from this combo. [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] is one of those names that does not often spark my synesthesia on its own, but in combination with other names, it can give me gorgeous colours or imagery! In this case, [name_u]Fable[/name_u] is sort of a lavender shimmer, while [name_u]Orion[/name_u] is sparkles of starry silver, and next to them, [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] takes on this velvet deep indigo shade so that the three of them together make me think of wizards’ robes and celestial magic. Once again, I think this combo would be perfect… if I didn’t also love [name_u]Orion[/name_u] in another combo, [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]. I just cannot seem to choose between them!

Other options: [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]

The thing I love about [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] is that it feels both dark and light at the same time. [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] has this warm golden meaning, but it also feels just a touch wicked and shadowy to me. In combination with [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] and [name_u]Fable[/name_u], these names give me the imagery of golden candlelight glancing off a raven’s wing and revealing deep purple-black shadows in the feathers with lavender edges to them. I’m also swooning over nickname [name_f]Luci[/name_f]! But again I have the problem of also loving [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] in another combo further down, with [name_m]Faramir[/name_m]. I don’t know how I keep doing this to myself. :sob: [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] came about because I had to drop [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] from his original place in a [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] combo, and I can’t seem to find a new home for him. I feel like he almost fits with [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u], but something about the three of them together is a little underwhelming.

What do you think, Berries? Would you choose [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u], or [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]? [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] or [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m]? [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] or [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] ____? And is [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] worth considering, simply because the other two options have me locked in internal stalemates?

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]

In addition to being the protagonist of one of our favourite movies, Stardust, [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is also a character in [name_u]French[/name_u] and Celtic tales who ultimately found himself a dragon-slaying hero and [name_m]Knight[/name_m] of the Round Table in Arthurian legend. The story of his star-crossed love affair with [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] is believed to be the precursor of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f].

[name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] is a magical word name meaning “night singer,” which never fails to overwhelm me with gorgeous imagery. Nightingales are associated with dualities such as love and loss, melancholy and joy, life and death. As an herbalist, I also like the connotations of healing the name gets from famous nurse [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u].

[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] are set for this combo, as I adore these two names together. Their imagery is so complementary, both deeply romantic and tinged with sorrow. There is one masc name and one unisex name in this combo, with possible femme nickname [name_u]Tris[/name_u].

Considering: [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]

When someone suggested [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] on my previous thread, my first thought was, “that’s it, that’s The One.” This combo is just absolutely drenched in soft, shadowy, romantic, wistful, starry, dramatic energy. [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is another of those names that gives me strong feelings and vibes, but not necessarily colours or images on his own. But paired with the velvety darkness of [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] and the starry silver-white of [name_u]Orion[/name_u], he’s suddenly alive with images of night-blooming flowers under moonlight and delicate vines winding up crumbling pillars to romantic balconies perfectly poised for a secret lovers’ tryst. This combo is so perfect…and yet I’m also in love with [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u], and find it maddeningly difficult to choose between them!

Also on my previous thread, someone suggested [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u], which my brain transposed into [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]. I love the way [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]'s gentle breezy softness combines with [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] to create this dreamy sensory rush of night-blooming flowers and birdsong carried on a breath of wind and moonbeams.

I’ve done it to myself again, Berries. What would you choose between [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]? What about between [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]?

[name_m]Faramir[/name_m]

Because I hadn’t already made this combo thing difficult enough for myself, I had to go and fall in love with another first name option: [name_m]Faramir[/name_m]. [name_m]Long[/name_m] one of my most beloved of Tolkien’s characters for his keen insight and gentle, compassionate nature, [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] is also one of the few characters in the series who point-blank rejects the One [name_m]Ring[/name_m], which I love, because it demonstrates that gentleness and strength are not mutually exclusive, and self-awareness is a powerful thing. Also, on a shallower note, every time I say this name, I hear “far-and-near,” and for some reason my strange little brain just absolutely loves this.

[name_m]Faramir[/name_m] is a masc name that also comes with a couple of femme nickname options, like [name_f]Farrah[/name_f] or [name_f]Miri[/name_f]. The combo would just need a unisex nature or word name to fill all the guidelines.

Considering: [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] ____, [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] ____ [name_u]North[/name_u], and [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] ____

Because [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] hasn’t been on the shortlist very long, I don’t have a set combo picked out for him, though I do have a very strong sense of the imagery I’m looking for. [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] is another one of those names that give me deep velvety blues and silver sparkles, as well as imagery of slender, bare-branched trees with white bark, like birches or aspens; hushed carpets of snow; and the shimmering iridescent colours of northern lights in the night sky. I want to pull out all the wintry stops for this name, so I am gravitating towards combos like [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_u]Silver[/name_u], [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u], and [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]. I think [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_u]Silver[/name_u] is just quicksilver smooth on the tongue, with snowflakes falling like silver stars and candlelight on drifts of snow. I love the imagery of [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u], which is all iced-through lakes and frozen hush and nothing but snow as far as the eye can see, under the clear brilliant light of an enormous star. The downside of this combo is that I feel like the M sounds in [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] and [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] are a bit close together and that muddies things a little. [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] has very similar imagery, but the snow here is not only actively falling, but coming thick and fast, while the sky is awash with northern lights punctuated by one bright star (improbable, I know, since snow means clouds and clouds mean no aurora or stars).

Once again, I have the problem of loving a name in more than one combo. Would you choose [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m], or [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_u]Silver[/name_u]? [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f], or [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]?
What suggestions do you have for a [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] combo? What about a second middle for [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m]? A first middle for [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] ____ [name_u]North[/name_u]? A second middle for [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]?

A word on [name_u]Julian[/name_u]

[name_u]Julian[/name_u] was one of the original shortlist names from the previous thread, and I want to reassure all my [name_u]Julian[/name_u] lovers that he is not gone, merely temporarily shelved. After falling head over heels for [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire and realizing my love of [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire Au___ names, I realized this was no name for a Pisces baby. I may post a separate thread just for [name_u]Julian[/name_u], but for now, he’s being saved for a future little one into which I can pour all those delicious autumnal vibes.

And that’s the current state of things! I swear, every single time I sit down to write a post, I tell myself, “Okay, this time, I’m going to KEEP IT SHORT.” Lies. This might be my longest post yet. I am allergic to brevity, it seems. If you’ve stuck with me this far, you’re an absolute TROOPER, because I am indecisive, scattered, and verbose, and the pregnancy brain is REAL.

Thank you, once again, for all your help, my beloved Berries. You are truly the reason I have made it this far with my sanity (relatively) intact. :heart:

3 Likes

My favorites from your list is [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], so I prefer it to [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]. I absolutely love the nautical vibe of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f], but I associate [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] more with the bird than the pirate. I actually think [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u] would be a lovely combination that has a strong unisex vibe and a femme nickname with [name_m]Cas[/name_m]/Cassie (I also love [name_m]Castiel[/name_m] and the nickname [name_m]Cas[/name_m]).

Caspian [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u] would be my top pick! [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] would also make great siblings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also wanted to add some comments regarding your other choices!

For [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m], I think [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] or [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] could be great second middles. [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] has the vibe you want and gives you a more masc leaning name, while [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] is more unisex. It means hill and has Welsh origins. You could also spell it [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] to make it more femme. I think [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] is a lovely combo too, but doesn’t match your vibe as well.

Between [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u], I prefer [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]. [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] is fine but [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] just feels very popular in comparison. [name_u]Orion[/name_u] does balance it nicely, but overall I just think [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] is a more balanced combo. I’m also just not a big fan of [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] personally.

1 Like

Rowan [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] is a name which I immediately was drawn too. And when you gave the name explanation of [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] I felt like that there is even more significant reason to use it. Also when your baby grows up and they ask about their name. What a backstory. To be named after somebody courageous. [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] I think is so handsome and it does give me the imagery that you described it also seems like a name which is special to you too. [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] simply because it fits so well with the overall name combo but I agree I do think of the bird and nor necessarily the pirate/captain association.
Having said this, the fluidity of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] is beyond beautiful, regal and handsome. I can understand why you have such a hard time choosing from all these stunning names.
They would definitely be my top two. The other names you’ve listed are also very lovely but they just don’t have the same impact to me.

1 Like

I may be biased :wink::wink: but I think [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] is superior to [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]. I think you’re right about the double S being jarring. And the imagery with the former is, as you say, dripping with Druidic magic :eagle: :leaves:

2 Likes

i love them all :sob: [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] is beautiful, but i slightly prefer [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] in terms of imagery and flow, and it sounds so meaningful to you. [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_u]Silver[/name_u] is also another of my favourites from your list :heart:

1 Like

Caspian [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] is absolutely beautiful and it’s definitely the one I’d go with. It’s celestial, literary and stunning

Rowan [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] Iroh is the one that speaks to me. It has elegance and warmth. I think Iroh is fine to use, even if it was created

Emrys [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] is truly magical. [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] Lycidas, [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Rue[/name_u], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u]?

Solomon [name_u]Fable[/name_u] is beautiful and I love [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m]

Tristan [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] is just stunning and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is one of my favourite names. [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] is so starry and mythical

Faramir is intriguing and I do like [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_u]Silver[/name_u] but I pefer [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m].

Faramir [name_m]Julien[/name_m] [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_m]Romulus[/name_m], [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u], [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_u]Julian[/name_u], [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Silver[/name_u], [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u]

1 Like

I am rather partial to [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]. I think the third name needs to be very strong because of the feminine feel of [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]

1 Like

I love [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]! All three names are faves of mine and they sound so good together, so I would definitely go for that combo for [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]. I don’t really care for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f], personally, because there’s just too much P and S sound in my opinion and I think they sort of flow together oddly. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] __North sounds lovely, and I do very much like [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u], the wintriness doesn’t feel like a drawback to me although maybe it’s a dealbreaker for you.

Emrys [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] is also breathtakingly beautiful! What about [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]? If you wanted to go with the shepherd-field imagery, what about [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Glade[/name_u] or even [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Glen[/name_u] ([name_u]Glenn[/name_u]? A little midcentury perhaps but I like the flow.) Also, this is completely out of left field and I don’t think it will be your style of name, but I just thought of [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Otto[/name_m] and I love the way it sounds.

I like [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m], and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]. [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] just feels too long to me. I would go for a one or maybe two syllable second middle with a name as long and elaborate as [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]. I like [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]!

I think [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] is really pretty in sound, but I definitely find myself having a really hard time seeing it on an actual modern human, in part because I’m such a big LOTR fan. [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_u]Silver[/name_u] is really pretty, though, in the abstract.

1 Like

Wow, we definitely have some very strong feelings on both sides of the [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] vs [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] dilemma! Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts with me.

@catieQ - I’m glad you felt the nautical vibes from [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]! A big part of me wants to love your suggestion of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u], but something makes me hesitate. Maybe the fact of having two word names back to back - is that too hippie-ish, even for me? I don’t want to swing too far and end up in [name_f]Moon[/name_f] Unit territory. I’m absolutely swooning over the suggestion of [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] - I don’t know why this didn’t occur to me earlier when I was talking about those shepherd-in-the-green-hills vibes. [name_f]My[/name_f] sole hesitation here is whether this is going to remind me too much of my Judeo-[name_u]Christian[/name_u] background (God as the Good [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m], etc.) Thank you for your thoughts on [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] vs [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]. Sometimes I do worry that [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is too common compared to my other firsts, but I find him so romantic and magical, and get a little zing every time I say the name out loud.

@anon25197097 - I so appreciate your feedback, especially on [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u]. You’re right that both names are extremely meaningful to me! I also appreciate that you understand my dilemma, haha. I’m indecisive by nature anyway, and I’ve been collecting names for so long that I have oodles of delicious favorites to choose from, which makes the deciding so much more difficult!

@alatari - You are certainly allowed your biases! These two are the most difficult to decide between, because I am equally inspired by both sets of colors and imagery. I don’t think I went into colors for [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], but I get the bright red of rowan berries against layers of cool shadowy greens with a shot of cream, gold, and brown from [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]. The overall effect is a very warm and earthy feeling.

@seawillow - Oh my goodness, I don’t think I have ever moved someone to tears with one of my name combos before! :scream: I feel compelled to offer you hugs! I also find your username so beautiful. The first time I heard of the name Seawillow was through the Bewitching Names blog, and I fell in love immediately.

@alksx - Thank you so much for your feedback. I love both [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] so much, and plan to use both combos eventually. I just cannot seem to decide which one belongs with, and which one needs to go back to the drawing board. I’m so pleased to hear you love [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] [name_u]Silver[/name_u]!

@Greyblue - Thank you so much for all your beautiful suggestions! Getting a fresh infusion of creativity is just the thing when I am deadlocked like this! I’m thrilled that you love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] and the way you describe the name is just beautiful. I’m feeling less and less sure about [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] Iroh, so your perspective is reassuring to hear. [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Oak[/name_u] is just gorgeous, and I’m delighted by this second nomination of [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]! I’m fast becoming enchanted with this option, which I feel like softens the edges of [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]’s [name_m]Roman[/name_m] soldier vibe. I’m so pleased you love [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m], I feel like it’s got such a liquid sound. I’m also thrilled by your feedback on [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]! I just think these two names together are absolute magic, and I love the celestial element added by [name_u]Orion[/name_u]. I love the sound of some of these [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Julian[/name_u] combos, like [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Silver[/name_u], and [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_u]Julian[/name_u]. I just wish [name_u]Julian[/name_u] didn’t feel so thoroughly autumnal to me, and [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] so irrevocably wintry.

@Gigicrips - Thank you so much for the [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] love! [name_f]My[/name_f] top two options for this combo so far are [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you feel like these options fit the strength you’re thinking of, or do they feel too femme to you?

@findemaxa13 - I really appreciate your feedback on [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]. I’m not sure why the [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] combo seems choppy and S-heavy to me, while [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] feels more lyrical, even though there’s an S and a P in each name. I do find [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u] absolutely beautiful. I wish I had more clarity on why [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] doesn’t feel like the right first name for them, because objectively speaking, they flow gorgeously together! I’m delighted to hear that you like [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] so much! [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u] is lovely. I want to love [name_u]Glade[/name_u] and [name_u]Glen[/name_u], and I can totally see where you’re going with the imagery, but my brain cannot seem to separate [name_u]Glade[/name_u] from the artificial fragrances company (which we all low-key loathe because T has severe fragrance allergies) or [name_u]Glen[/name_u] from an elderly gentleman I used to work for. I think [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Otto[/name_m] is lovely, but agree that it’s not for me. You’re welcome to add it to a list of your own! Your feedback on the [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] vs [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] and [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] vs [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] is very useful. You’re right that [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] is a big lengthier than I usually go with my syllables. I think I just find the imagery so irresistible that the length doesn’t really register? [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] is indeed the shorter option, but to get super nitpicky, does it sound funny next to my last name, since they’re both two-syllable names that end in r? I hear what you’re saying about [name_m]Faramir[/name_m], especially since I was all anxious about using Iroh since it is an invented name. Maybe I need to do the backyard test on this one again (pretend-calling my child in for dinner by that name and seeing how it feels to shout the name across the yard, haha).

I so appreciate everyone’s heartfelt responses! I feel like I’m no closer to deciding whether [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] belongs in [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] ____ [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] or [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] ____, but I’ve definitely made progress on [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] (looking at [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]) and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] (narrowed down to [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m]). I also got some good feedback on [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] vs [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u], as well as on my newest addition, [name_m]Faramir[/name_m]. If anyone has more gorgeous wintry brainstorms to offer for [name_m]Faramir[/name_m], I’m still all ears!

4 Likes

Another question about polyamory: How did you choose your last name? Did you combine all of yours? Pick your favorite?

Perhaps it might be more appropriate to tag them in one of the topics for asking LGBTQ+ questions (Gender & Sexuality Questions), or ask if they’re comfortable talking in PMs? So that this topic could focus more on narrowing down their list. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@skylerros - I really like this idea! If you want to make a post in that thread - or if you want to start your own thread with a list of your questions that you can add to when you think of more - you can always @ me, and I’ll come give my thoughts. I just always feel a little bad for other users who didn’t sign up for all our rabbit trails into queer theory.

Last Names

We each have our own last name, and we chose a new one collectively for our family. I’m in the process of legally changing my first name to match what I’ve gone by for years, so I’ll be taking the new last name at that time, and when Nugget is born, they’ll have the same last name as me. T and S haven’t decided yet whether they’re going to make any legal changes to their own names, but we do refer to ourselves as the KAY-lahrs when talking about our family.

@the_common_fool - Thank you for the great suggestion! It would definitely help me control my scatterbrain, haha.

2 Likes

Here’s some that I mixed and matched! Hopefully some of them fit your vibes! (I added [name_u]Lark[/name_u] in randomly, and because I think it would be lovely on your LO!)

[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]
[name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Lark[/name_u]

1 Like

No problem! I know having things a bit organized/sorted helps me feel less overwhelmed! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], I remember that train incident and I think that’s a beautiful way to honor that man. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] is also lovely but I’d definitely choose [name_u]Rowan[/name_u].

Second middles for [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]:

• [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Viridian[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Moss[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Brynmor[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_f]Morven[/name_f]
  • [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Glade[/name_u]
  • [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] Orestheus

I love [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m], not as into [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]. Also a big fan of [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u].

Would you choose Solomon Fable Orion, or Tristan Nightingale Orion? [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]
Solomon Fable Orion or Solomon Fable Lucien? [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]
Solomon Fable Lucien or Faramir Lucien ____? I think that because you don’t have a middle name picked for the [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] combo, the obvious choice is [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m].
And is Solomon Fable Atreyu worth considering, simply because the other two options have me locked in internal stalemates? Since you don’t seem to love this one as much as the others, it doesn’t make sense to keep it.

What would you choose between Tristan Nightingale Orion and Solomon Fable Orion? [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]
What about between Tristan Nightingale Orion and Tristan Nightingale Zephyr? [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]

Would you choose Solomon Fable Lucien, or Faramir Lucien Silver? [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m]
Faramir Winter Polaris, or Caspian Sparrow Polaris? [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]

[name_f]My[/name_f] overall favorite is either [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] or [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]

2 Likes

@sevenlycoris - Thank you SO MUCH for such a thorough and detailed explanation!! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for and answered so many of my questions and concerns.

Knowing that given names are essentially always “created” in that they involve choosing and combining characters with good sound and favorable meaning makes me feel a lot better about Iroh being a name that was invented for the show - presumably, the writers created his name through the same process, or something similar, like deciding the sounds they wanted and looking to see if there were characters that matched those sounds, checking that the meanings of those characters were positive, etc.

I also appreciate that you talked about how the name has no obvious ties to the mythology, culture, or history, whether positive or negative. For some reason, the fact that it wouldn’t be the name of any well-known figures lessens my concern around whether using it would cross the line from appreciation and referencing a beloved character into cultural appropriation territory.

Thank you again for such a thorough reply!

1 Like

I am really loving [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]. I dont think its your favorite but I just wanted to say there’s something about it that I find so beautifully striking!

All your choices are nice though! Sorry I’m not more helpful. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] is really cool as well.

1 Like