Help Sorting out Backup Combos?

UPDATE: I totally forgot to come update this thread with the link to the new one. Sorry about that! Here it is now: Continuing Combo Confusion

Hello, dearest Berries! You may know me most recently from the epic saga of narrowing down my Monster List of femme names from 141 to 30 options to take to the hospital with us (the final version is here Final Monster List Wrap-Up!, if you’re interested!)

Now that we have that list finalized, I’m turning my attention to our backup names, in case little Nugget presents as AMAB after all. Rather than taking another list of thirty, I want to take a handful of complete combos - it’s unlikely we’ll need these, but I’ll feel better knowing we have some just in case.

For a little context, I am in a long-term polyamorous relationship with two live-in partners, and we will all be co-parenting together. I’ve called them T and S to avoid confusion. We’re also super pagan, hence all the witchy names!

Combo Guidelines

• We’re planning to use two middle names (which is part of why these combos are in such shambles).
  • For each combo, we are looking for at least one masc name, at least one unisex word or nature name, and at least one name that has an easy femme nickname in case as Nugget gets older, they do not identify with their assumed gender. (T is intersex and non-binary, so having gender flexible options built into the combo is hugely important to them!)
  • Our last name spelled phonetically is KAY-lahr.

Top Choice: [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] ____ [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]

Summary
  • [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] - M - “prince; of the sea.”
    A nautical place name of the [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sea[/name_u] used by C.S. [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] for a prince in his Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] series. This has been one of T’s and my top names for years and years and has lots of personal meaning to us.
  • [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] - M - “fearless; son of all.”
    A fictional name for an orphan in The Never-ending [name_u]Story[/name_u] who was adopted by his whole village - I love this concept and the associated “son of all” meaning, as Nugget will have three moms. [name_f]May[/name_f] have been derived from the Greek [name_m]Atreus[/name_m], meaning “fearless.”

This was originally [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Forest[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m], which I was madly in love with, but apparently T has a distant cousin named [name_m]Forrest[/name_m], and S only associates the name with [name_m]Forrest[/name_m] Gump, so I’ve been overruled :sob: For this combo, we have two masc names already, and the femme nickname option is [name_f]Cassie[/name_f]. We are just looking for a word or nature name to go in the first middle slot. (I consider almost all word and nature names to be inherently unisex). I lean towards nature for this one, because I really want something that brings in that lush green vibe I lost when [name_u]Forest[/name_u] was vetoed.

Runner-up: [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] _____

Summary
  • [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] - U - “rowan tree, little redhead.”
    A tree with distinctive red berries and loads of magical folklore attached. Rowans were called the “wayfarer’s tree,” and believed to offer powerful protection against malevolent entities. In modern druidic traditions, they are considered doorways between our world and the Otherworld. They are sacred to the fairies and used in weather divination.
  • [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] - M - “shining brow.”
    A famous Welsh poet and bard later fictionalized as a wizard, prophet, and adviser to [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], often associated with [name_m]Merlin[/name_m]. I have an extremely intense emotional connection to this name: in 2017, three men were stabbed, two of them fatally, while defending a pair of teenage girls from racial and Islamaphobic harassment by a white supremacist on public transit. This happened in my town, on the exact train that I used to ride to work every day. One of the young men, [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] Myrddin Namkai-Meche, bled out on the scene, and his last words were, “Tell everyone on this train I love them.” This incident, and especially his words, powerfully impacted my life, and I cannot think of a more meaningful way to honor him. In turn, I hope his spirit watches over my child and inspires them to the same fearless compassion he showed that day.

So far the strongest option we have for this one is [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] Iroh. Iroh is a name the creators of Avatar: The Last Airbender invented for the series. The only accurate information I can find regarding meaning is that the Chinese characters used to spell it are pronounced phonetically. The first one refers to mugwort, which is used in moxibustion, while the second one is a river in [name_f]China[/name_f]. I love the flow of this name in the combo, but I have some reservations about using it. For one thing, none of us are Chinese, and this would be the only Chinese name anywhere on our list. For another, though I absolutely love the character, I still hesitate about the fact that it’s a “made-up” name. I’m interested in your opinions. If you think Iroh is problematic, I’d love to hear some alternatives! We already have one masc and one unisex name in the combo; [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] fits the nature/word requirement; and the femme nickname could be [name_u]Tally[/name_u]. So there are no particular restrictions about what we could use in the second middle slot.

Option Three: [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] ____

Summary
  • [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] - M - “immortal.”
    A Welsh variant of [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], chock full of folklore. [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] was the name of a famous warlord and uncle of [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], while Myrddin [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] was the Welsh name for legendary wizard [name_m]Merlin[/name_m]. In the BBC drama [name_m]Merlin[/name_m], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is the title character’s Druidic name. There is also a legend about a mysterious castle occupied by Vortigen called Dinas [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], which was inexplicably reduced to ruins every morning. [name_m]Merlin[/name_m] told Vortigen that there were a pair of dragons beneath the castle who warred every night, and that was the reason why new construction was always turned to rubble. Vortigen freed the dragons, and the red one prevailed in their resulting battle, becoming the dragon on the Welsh flag.
  • [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] - U - “strength, bravery.”
    A powerful medicinal herb with a sedating effect, and one of my staples as an herbalist. It was the name of a [name_m]Roman[/name_m] Emperor, a badass swordsman in the Codex Alera series, as well as the main character in the magical comic-turned-space-opera [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] and the City of a Thousand Planets.

I can’t seem to find an option for the second middle that I love with this pairing. We have one masc name in the combo and one that is both masculine and unisex depending on whether we’re referring to the [name_m]Roman[/name_m] name or the herb. We also have the femme nickname options [name_f]Em[/name_f] or [name_u]Val[/name_u]. So you can have fun with this one!

Option [name_u]Four[/name_u]: [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] ____

Summary
  • [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] - M - “peace.”
    Common assumption is that this name means “wisdom” because of the famous Biblical king, but it’s actually a variant of the Hebrew word shalom, meaning “peace.” This is one of the few names that made the transition out of Christianity with me, because [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] is at least as big a figure in pagan tradition as he is in Judeo-[name_u]Christian[/name_u] mythology! He is purported to be the author of several famous grimoires, and one of them, The Lesser Key of [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], contains one of the most foundational texts on demonology, the Ars Goetia. The associated legend says that when [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] asked the OT God for wisdom, instead of granting it to him directly, God gave him the power to control 72 demons who were bound to lend him all their knowledge and abilities. He used them to build the [name_u]Temple[/name_u], and recorded instructions on how to summon and interact with them in the grimoires. It’s fascinating stuff!
  • [name_u]Fable[/name_u] - U - “a short tale, often with a moral lesson”
    One of my absolute favorite word names, laden with a sense of magic, story, and mystery. Obliquely honors one of my closest friends who I met playing the eponymous video game series. Also a nod to S, who is a prolific writer, and even myself, a former children’s librarian. This is actually one of the 30 names on our femme list.

Again, I feel at a loss for what to use to round out this combo. We have one masc name and one unisex name, but I don’t see an obvious femme nickname here ([name_f]Faye[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_u]Fable[/name_u] is not an option, as S is holding this name in reserve for her first daughter). So the final name in the combo doesn’t have to be a word or nature name, but it would be ideal if it had an easy femme nickname.

Option [name_m]Five[/name_m]: [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u] ____ or [name_u]Julian[/name_u] ____ [name_u]North[/name_u] or [name_u]Julian[/name_u] ____ ____

Summary
  • [name_u]Julian[/name_u] - M - “youthful, downy-bearded; sky father.”
    [name_m]Roman[/name_m] emperor name possibly derived from [name_u]Jupiter[/name_u], and the name of several saints, including a patron saint of travelers. Nickname [name_u]Jules[/name_u] brings in some delicious science references via the homonym joules and sci-fi author [name_u]Jules[/name_u] [name_u]Verne[/name_u].
  • [name_u]North[/name_u] - U - “northern direction.”
    A wintry word name associated with the frozen arctic. I love it in part for the connection with the Norse gods, which is the pantheon I work with in my spiritual practices. The other part is an homage to [name_m]Philip[/name_m] Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy.

I’ve been all over the place with this combo. I love [name_u]Julian[/name_u] and have struggled to find middle names that feel like they belong. I love [name_u]North[/name_u] as well, but could just as easily use it with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] or one of the other names. It doesn’t seem to be a cohesive pair with [name_u]Julian[/name_u] the way that [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] go together, for example. So if you have suggestions that introduce two new middles instead of just the one, I will be open to those as well. [name_u]Julian[/name_u] gives us one masc name, and with [name_u]North[/name_u] there’s the unisex name taken care of. [name_u]Jules[/name_u] also provides a femme nickname, at least in my opinion. So if you’re doing one new middle, you don’t have any restrictions really. If you’re replacing [name_u]North[/name_u] as well, one of the middles will need to be unisex, and one will need to be a word or nature name.

Last, but Definitely Not Least: [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] ____ or ____ [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]

Summary
  • [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] - U - “tumult, outcry; sorrowful.”
    [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is a character in medieval [name_u]French[/name_u] tales, probably inspired by older Celtic legends, and ultimately merged into Arthurian legend, in which he was a dragon-slaying hero and [name_m]Knight[/name_m] of the Round Table, as well as one of a pair of star-crossed lovers. [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] was sent to [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] in order to fetch [name_f]Isolde[/name_f], who was to be the bride of [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Mark[/name_m] of Cornwall. On the way back, [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] accidentally drink a potion that made them fall in love. Their tragically doomed romance became the precursor to [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. I have always found the sound of this name very beautiful, with a soft, romantic, sensitive vibe.
  • [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] - U - “night singer”
    A magical word name with connotations of beautiful song and deep velvety night. Nightingales are associated with love and loss, life and death, melancholy and joy, spiritual enlightenment and shadow work - their symbolism is always in pairs, illustrating the inherent duality of existence. As an herbalist, I also love the associations with healing via the famous nurse, [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]. This name is also on our femme list, but I love it even more as a masc name, especially when paired with [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]!

I absolutely adore these two names together. I feel like they are so complementary and share a whimsical, romantic feeling while also being tinged with sorrow and shadow. They pair so well that finding a second middle to go with them has been extremely challenging. I would also consider finding another first name and using both [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] as middles, since [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] is a little less unusual than most of my first name picks. This combo has one masc name, and one unisex name that also skews a little femme. There are also a couple of femme nickname options - [name_u]Tris[/name_u] and [name_u]Gale[/name_u] (though I realize [name_u]Gale[/name_u] has been used on boys as well.) So you should have free rein with picking the third name for this combo.

Here is the pool of names I’ve been pulling from to create combos - luckily for everyone, it’s much shorter than the Monster List was!

Name Pool
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m], [name_m]Albion[/name_m], [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], Baelfire (middle only), [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m], [name_m]Bastian[/name_m], Beorn, Bensiabel, [name_u]Constantine[/name_u], [name_u]Cove[/name_u] (middle only), [name_u]Dorian[/name_u], [name_m]Faramir[/name_m], [name_m]Finbar[/name_m], [name_u]Frost[/name_u] (middle only), [name_m]Galileo[/name_m], [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] (middle only), [name_m]Gwydion[/name_m], [name_u]Hallow[/name_u] (middle only), [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] (middle only), [name_m]Herne[/name_m], [name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m], [name_m]Lucien[/name_m], [name_m]Melchior[/name_m], [name_m]Numair[/name_m], [name_u]Oberon[/name_u], [name_u]Orion[/name_u], [name_m]Orson[/name_m], [name_m]Osric[/name_m], [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u], [name_f]Polaris[/name_f], [name_m]Ragnar[/name_m], [name_m]Remiel[/name_m], Samael, [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] (middle only), [name_m]Tiberius[/name_m], [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], and [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] (middle only).

I’m gonna go ahead and say you don’t need to adhere strictly to this list, but if you do include a name that isn’t on here in one of your suggestions, if you could say a few words about the meaning and why you chose it, that would be most appreciated!

Well, this ended up being another ridiculously long post, even after going back to add in those collapsible sections. I guess I’m just incapable of being concise! I’m sorry…?

Thank you in advance, my magical, amazing Berries! I just know you’ll dream up some absolutely breathtaking combos!

2 Likes

What a gorgeous list!

Caspian __ [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] is stunning.

Caspian [name_u]Cove[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] (possibly nn [name_u]Coco[/name_u])
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Lark[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] (possibly nn [name_f]Cassie[/name_f])
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] Arteyu (possibly nn [name_f]Cassie[/name_f], [name_u]Winter[/name_u] or [name_f]Winnie[/name_f])

Rowan [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] Iroh is beautiful and meaningful-I think you could use Iroh since it’s an invented name. [name_u]Tally[/name_u] is a cute nickname

Rowan [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] would be gorgeous too

Emrys [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] is stunning!
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Kestrel[/name_u]

Solomon [name_u]Fable[/name_u] is so gentle! Could [name_f]Sofie[/name_f] be a nickname (Solomon Fable) or perhaps [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] or [name_f]Lola[/name_f]?
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m] (nn [name_f]Lulu[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f])
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] (nn [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Lolo[/name_f], [name_u]Issy[/name_u])
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Rufus[/name_m] (nn [name_u]Rue[/name_u])
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Galileo[/name_m] (nn [name_f]Lili[/name_f], [name_f]Leia[/name_f])

Julian [name_u]North[/name_u] is strong and cool

Julian [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_m]Albion[/name_m] (gives you [name_f]Alba[/name_f] as a nn too)
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire [name_u]North[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Hawthorn[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Tybalt[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Horatio[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]

Tristan [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] is gorgeous!

Trisran [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Frost[/name_u]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Ragnar[/name_m] (or [name_m]Ragnar[/name_m] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u])
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] (nn [name_u]Allie[/name_u])
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Sholto[/name_m]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Remus[/name_m]

1 Like

i’m afraid i don’t come with amazing options to offer, but i just had to stop by and gush about how much i love your dynamics and your names!!!

caspian polaris atreyu - caspian and atreyu are some of my alltime favorites, you’ve got me here
caspian solaris atreyu - inspired by polaris, but means from the sun. i think this could fit real well meaning and sound wise

rowan taliesin iroh - i love it! i don’t think it’s problematic at all, and uncle iroh is really an amazing character that would be an honor to have a connection to
rowan taliesin ira - alternatively, this is pretty close? meaning-wise it’s also nice! “watchful one”, it actually still reminds me of uncle iroh.

emrys valerian beorn
emrys valerian polaris
emrys valerian peregrine

solomon fable sparrow - meaning wise, pax is a possible quite neutral nickname option. otherwise, i second the option of sunny as a nn - sol means sun, and you can also get sonny out of the letters, so it’s not far fetched at all.

julian baelfire north - i love julian! jules is a great nn, and i would also like to offer june / jun / juni as another option.
julian north polaris - is this too redundant?
julian wolf albion
julian cove peregrine
julian hallow koda - i admit, julian is easy to pair with a middle name, but incredibly hard to pair with two whew
julian hallow rhys

1 Like

Eee, it was so exciting waking up to these wonderful responses!

@Greyblue - I’m so pleased that you like so many of these names! I’ve become really confident about my femme list, and I suppose part of me was concerned that the masc names wouldn’t hold up as well in comparison.
I do love [name_u]Cove[/name_u], [name_u]Lark[/name_u], and [name_u]Winter[/name_u], but none of them quite give me the feeling that I’m searching for. I keep feeling like [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] ____ [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] needs something lush and green in the middle. Replacing [name_u]Forest[/name_u] is so difficult!
I’m relieved that you think [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] Iroh is a strong combo. I do love [name_f]Polaris[/name_f], but I think Iroh still wins out for me.
I’m absolutely LOVING these [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] combos!! [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] is gorgeous, and [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] is just magical - I love the touch of whimsy that [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] brings after the grand sweeping feeling of [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m] is lovely, but I’m bypassing it here because [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] is so high on our femme list.
I love that you get gentle vibes from [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u], because that’s exactly how I feel! I hadn’t even thought of [name_f]Lola[/name_f] as the femme nickname, but it’s pretty perfect. From your suggestions, I’m really drawn to [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m], as [name_m]Llewellyn[/name_m] is definitely one of those names that gives me gentle, shepherd-strolling-the-green-hills vibes. I also love [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Osiris[/name_m], because I always get an ancient dignity from [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] that I think pairs well with [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], and [name_u]Fable[/name_u] has just enough romance and whimsy in the middle to balance the two. I adore [name_m]Galileo[/name_m], but it doesn’t feel right to me with these two names, if that makes sense. I feel like it pairs better with [name_u]Julian[/name_u].
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire is absolutely breathtaking! I’m not sure I love Baelfire and [name_u]North[/name_u] together, but the combination of [name_u]Julian[/name_u] and Baelfire is so magical that I may try some different third middles here to see if I can find something that fits with these two.
I’m so glad you love [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]! I have a huge soft spot for these two together. I think [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] has great flow, but I’m again stuck on the way these two feel very different to me. [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] always has this shadowy, arcane, occult vibe to me because of Aleister Crowley, whereas [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] has this soft, innocent romance about him.
Thank you so much for all these amazing ideas!

@Aren - Lies! Your combos are indeed amazing options! I’m also delighted to hear that my naming style appeals to you. That’s such a meaningful compliment to receive! In the “real,” non-Nameberry world, I’m pretty out-there, haha.
Something about [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] together is really singing to me. I think the combination taps into this nautical, navigating-by-the-stars imagery that I hadn’t considered before. I’m going to have to explore the options here!
I’m so pleased that you love [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] Iroh and don’t think it’s problematic. Iroh is truly #lifegoals for me, just so much wisdom and compassion and insight and humor and hidden power packed into such an unassuming package! Plus, how can I, an herbalist, NOT adore the character known across the [name_u]Fire[/name_u] Nation for his love of tea?? :laughing: But I digress. I do love the meaning of [name_u]Ira[/name_u], but the sound does not appeal - I chose Iroh entirely for the association.
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] Beorn is lovely! I feel like this option is chock full of evocative imagery of bears and dragons, but also green meadows and dreamy clouds.
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] feels a bit unwieldy to me, but I do like the softness of [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] and understand why you chose it. They definitely share a similar vibe.
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire again! Oh, this combination makes me swoon every time I see it! Clearly I need to do a brainstorm with these two names. As for [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f], I ran into that same question above when you paired [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] together, because my brain immediately wanted to put [name_u]North[/name_u] between them, and I was like, “so…[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] north north star? Hrm.” I also love the combination of [name_u]Julian[/name_u] and [name_u]Hallow[/name_u] together. Apparently [name_u]Julian[/name_u] just needs ALL the pagan names, haha!
Thank you so much for this feedback!

I’m feeling really inspired right now! A non-[name_u]Berry[/name_u] friend suggested moving [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] to the [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] combo. What do we think of [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]?

That would leave [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] open to pair with [name_u]North[/name_u] or [name_f]Polaris[/name_f], which changes the desire for a lush, green name into a desire for names that feel adventurous and exploratory and perhaps even nautical. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]? I feel like that is to many S sounds. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]? Ooh, getting warmer. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f]? Ooh, I love this too! What do you think, Berries?

I’m also really hooked on this [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire idea. [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire [name_u]Hallow[/name_u] - is that too much witch in one name? [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] - too long? [name_u]Or[/name_u], straying from the name pool, [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire Rook? [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire Thoth? [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire [name_u]Raven[/name_u] - too gothic? [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire [name_m]Azriel[/name_m]? Hmm. I could use some help brainstorming this one.

As always, thank you so much for all the feedback and ideas. I feel so supported by this community and just want to shower you all with love and name magic!

2 Likes

I love how intensive this is, it almost feels like one of the baby name games. For each of your choices I’m going to give one combo using a name or names from your name bank and one that isn’t from the namebank.

Caspian [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Glade[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] - I have a friend whose middle name is [name_u]Glade[/name_u], as it’s her father’s first name, so it feels very gender neutral to me and certainly has a lush green vibe.

Rowan [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Constantine[/name_u] - I love the way this flows in such a regal way.
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Fable[/name_u]

Emrys [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] Baelfire - sounds like a protagonist
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_f]Leontyne[/name_f] - [name_f]Leontyne[/name_f] means lion so it fits with your nature theme and I think it just works well with the first two.

Solomon [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] - [name_u]Val[/name_u] as a possible feminine nickname
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] - It means driftwood and [name_f]Marlie[/name_f] or [name_f]Mara[/name_f] could be good feminine nicknames.

Julian [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_f]Millaray[/name_f] [name_u]North[/name_u] - means golden flower

Tristan [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Maxence[/name_m] - it means greatest and I think it just sounds nice, [name_u]Max[/name_u] is also a good gender neutral nickname

1 Like

ahh thank you, i’m glad at least a couple combos inspired you!

you’re pulled me into a beautiful picture of this sea and stars with caspian and polaris, i want to vote for it again!
caspian sparrow polaris just sounds like a whole adventure, whew i love it. can you imagine that on a nursery wall? a nursery filled with ships and birds and stars? it’s so dreamy i’m heart eyes.

on solomon fable atreyu, i’m torn between not feeling a punch and thinking that a atreyu’s-peaceful-story just makes sense? even though original atreyu didn’t have the most chill of times himself.

julian baelfire azriel is a spitfire! i just went somewhere where angels are fiery, but i love the meanings, i think this would be one cool kid.
julian baelfire rook sounds so cool??
i admit thoth is twisting my tongue and that julian baelfire alistair is getting tangled along the way as well.
julian baelfire hallow is a name meant for an october born baby, all the yeses to this.

2 Likes

As always I adore your style.

My top boy’s combo is [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] and so I’d second the suggestion of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]. Though it doesn’t give you the lush green vibe.

I also love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] :wolf: [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] is quite naturey and adventurous but also may not be “lush green”.

Another combo I like is Caspian [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]. I think the alliteration is wonderful and I like the meaning,
”prince of all who carries the heavens”

For lush green vibes I’d go with

Caspian Beorn [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]
”fearless bear prince”

Your connection to [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] has me welling up. That is so, so special. I’m sure [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u]’s spirit will watch over your little nugget :heart: for this combo I love:

Rowan [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]
”sparrow crowned with a shining red brow”

It gives me a picture of a beautiful shining sparrow sitting in a rowan tree, watching over the scene.

Emrys [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] Baelfire is too epic for words. I also like:

Emrys [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Cove[/name_u]
”the immortal strength of water”

So amazing for a Pisces child. (Is your nugget going to be a Pisces? I know you mentioned [name_u]March[/name_u])

I like Solomon [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]
”a tale of peace and stars”

the name [name_u]Orion[/name_u] gives the cute unisex nickname [name_u]Rio[/name_u], as well as being used for girls in its own right anyway. [name_f]Ora[/name_f] is also cute.

Solomon [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m]
”a tale of peace and light”

Lucien gives you [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], which is meaningful to you, as well as [name_f]Lucienne[/name_f]. [name_u]Peace[/name_u] and light are two of the absolute pillars of love in this universe so I thought that was pretty sweet.

For [name_u]Julian[/name_u] I agree that [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u] isn’t quite right.

I’d go with

Julian [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] [name_u]Frost[/name_u]
”father of the northern star in the winter sky”

(Clumsy explanation of the meaning, maybe there’s a better way to word it! Lol)

Polaris meaning northern star kind of covers the ‘north’ base while also giving you extra pizazz and it also can be a feminine name. [name_u]Frost[/name_u] gives the whole combo a shimmering, wintry feel, it puts me in mind of Auroras, evening stars, midnight sun, pink light on the snow, etc. The combo feels strong and delicate at the same time.

I’ve tried a bunch of the names in your bank with [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] and I can see the trouble you are having!

I like Alaric [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
”powerful ruler, singer of nightly sorrows”

I love Faramir [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
”jewel of sorrow and song”

As far as my nerdy a$$ can tell, [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] in Sindarin Elvish means “sufficient jewel” and I love the softness the name brings to this already-romantic combo. [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] as a character represents a sensitive, empathetic masculinity that is very powerful. I like the way these all sound together.

Tristan [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Numair[/name_m]
tumultuous dark panther”

This is just kinda bada$$ and pleases my synesthesia, it’s very velvety, deep, dark and swift.

For what it’s worth, I love [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] in the first spot for you and I think it has the romance and mythos to stand up next to your other faves. It’s usage has started to drop off anyway, and nameberry predicts it will drop in popularity in the coming decade.

1 Like

Um, that isn’t your business and it’s off topic.

7 Likes

Thank you all so much for your amazing ideas! As always, your feedback helps inspire new ideas and clarify how I feel about the existing ones.

@jeeps - I love that your reaction to my sort of neurotic approach to naming is that it feels like a game! Outside of Nameberry, I get a lot of comments about how out-there my style is or how I’m too particular or nitpicky, so this was a really sweet message to receive :slight_smile: I also love that you gave me a little insight into why you offered the suggestions that fall outside the name pool, because seeing a name through someone else’s eyes always helps expand and inform my understanding of that name!

Of your suggestions, I’m loving [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] together - I think [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] brings a nautical vibe and a sense of reckless adventure because of our beloved pirate captain, but also a touch of sweetness and innocence from the bird itself.

I also really like [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] - I feel like [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] has some of the same gentle strength that I get from [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] and [name_u]Fable[/name_u] together.

Also loving [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u], even though my synesthesia says [name_u]Julian[/name_u] is the odd one out here - he always gives me warm, rich, dark golden vibes, while [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] and [name_u]North[/name_u] are both silvery and white and midnight blue, all winter and starlight. For a long time, I had [name_u]Orion[/name_u] [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u] on my list, but [name_u]Orion[/name_u] got the veto as a first name after someone thought we were saying O’[name_u]Ryan[/name_u].

And speaking of [name_u]Orion[/name_u], far and away my favorite of your suggestions is [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]!!! This is just absolutely breathtaking, and might end up being THE [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] combo. I’m just in love with the way these three names flow together and give me such magical, soft, romantic, wistful, starry imagery!!

@Aren - I’m really crushing on [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f], and reading your lovely description just makes me fall in love with it even more! It feels adventurous, nautical, a little mischievous, with a touch of innocence and whimsy.

I think I understand what you mean about [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] - part of me feels underwhelmed by it, while another part of me feels like [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] fits here much better than it did with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]. [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] just click together and feel right in a way that [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] didn’t. I’m not ready to let go of [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] though. I feel like he belongs somewhere, I just have to figure out where.

Oh, [name_u]Julian[/name_u]! I feel like you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire [name_u]Hallow[/name_u] feels like an [name_u]October[/name_u] baby. I’ve had a similar feeling about all my [name_u]Julian[/name_u] combos recently - they’re not Pisces names. I may have to hold this one in reserve for a future little one.

@skylerros - You’re right, that is definitely a personal question. Whether I answer it (and how) would depend entirely on your reasons for asking.

@alatari - It’s gotten to the point where my heart flutters a little whenever I see your name on one of my threads, because I know what follows is going to delight me! :slight_smile:

I really want to love [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u], and I do adore the names separately, but my synesthesia prevents me from loving them together. They always feel a bit dissonant to me. From [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], I get different vibes depending on what he’s next to. When he’s next to a really verdant green name, I get woodsy, gentle, explorer vibes and a sort of feathery pine green, which is what I was trying to recreate after losing [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Forest[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]. When I put him next to something that feels very blue, I get a much stronger energy from [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], something nautical and adventurous, lots of ocean blues and warm leathery browns and bits of bronze. [name_u]Winter[/name_u], by contrast, always has a very specific energy of its own, something still and crystalline and pale white/silver/icy blue. Writing all this out is helping me see that it’s less about the colors here and more about the energy - [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] wants to be active and [name_u]Winter[/name_u] wants to be still, and I think that’s where they diverge for me. (Whew! I hope it’s okay that I went so deep into the analysis with this one!)
I adore [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] and would love to fit him in somewhere, especially if paired with [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m]. I was entertaining [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] [name_u]Wolf[/name_u] quite strongly before I fell so hard for the [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire combos.
As always, I adore the meaning you’ve crafted for [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m], and I think the rhythm is lovely. For some reason, I have an aversion to alliteration. I don’t even like to have two names that start with the same letter in the same combo, much less adjacent to each other. Isn’t that terrible? Why is my brain so picky? :cry:
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] Beorn [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] actually sounds fearless! I love it when you can practically hear the meaning in the name itself!

I am really touched and relived by your reaction to the [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] connection. It has been hard to explain why I feel so strongly about this name, since the reason itself is so tied to tragedy, so I’m glad that my feelings make sense to at least one person!
I adore the [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] combo!! This gives even [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] a run for its money. I feel like [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u] is just dripping with [name_f]English[/name_f]/Welsh/Druidic vibes, and I can so clearly see the imagery of a magical rowan tree with a sparrow perched among the bright red berries, and nestled in its roots an entrance to a fairy mound. :heart_eyes:

I do love [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] Baelfire, but at the moment it is eclipsed by this [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire thing, which I just cannot stop obsessing over.
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Cove[/name_u] is so interesting! I think [name_u]Cove[/name_u] brings a sense of tranquility and coolness that I would not have thought to include, but there’s something so restful about it. And yes, Nugget is due [name_u]March[/name_u] 3, so if they arrive within a week of their due date on either side, they’ll be well within the Pisces zone.

I’m loving both these suggestions for [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]! I love the celestial, mystical vibes I get from [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] - there’s something almost wizardly about it. And [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] is utterly dreamy! I can’t stop saying it over and over to myself. And of course, I adore the idea of [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as a nickname.

I agree that [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]North[/name_u] was not a good fit, especially now that I’m swooning hardcore over [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire. I am having a similar issue here as with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_u]Winter[/name_u] and above with [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Melchior[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]. I think [name_u]Julian[/name_u] is firmly in the warm camp for me, all regal golds and bronzes with a bit of studious chocolate brown. I think I’m going to gently scoot him off this list and save him for an autumn baby. I absolutely love [name_f]Polaris[/name_f] and [name_u]Frost[/name_u] together! I can absolutely see the imagery you get from these two and it’s breathtakingly gorgeous!

I love everything you have to say about the [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] combos. As much as I heart [name_m]Alaric[/name_m], I don’t think he works as a first for these two names, because his warrior energy is a bit overpowering. [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Numair[/name_m] is just as you said, rich and velvety and deep, almost enough to overcome my alliteration block!
But my favorite is your [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] combo - this had me swooning so hard! And the little bit of info you included about [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] reminded me just how much I adore this name. I’m even considering doing a sneaky swap: since I’m thinking of taking [name_u]Julian[/name_u] off the list, I’m contemplating adding [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] in his place. Not only do I love him for all the reasons you mentioned, but my brain also hears “far-and-near” whenever I say the name aloud, and that gives me an added little thrill for some reason. And I think you’re right, [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] deserves to be a first name in his own right.

So many different thought branches for me to chew on in one post! I don’t know how you do it.

@tfzolghadr - Thank you so much for commenting! I confess, I’ve seen you around the site for a long time and always been a little in awe of your posts and threads, so I feel strangely honored by your feedback, haha! I also love that you gave me insight into why you suggested certain names, or interesting info about the lore attached - I am a HUGE sucker for name lore! You even managed to introduce me to a few names I’ve never heard of, which is no easy feat!

From your [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] suggestions, I love [name_u]Oleander[/name_u], [name_u]Frost[/name_u], [name_u]Thistle[/name_u], [name_u]Solstice[/name_u], and [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] - in fact, two of these were on my femme list for a good while, and [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] made it to the finalists! I also love the story behind [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Storm[/name_u] - I could almost see the imagery as you described it. I think my favorite of these is [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] - [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] definitely gives me similar lush, green energy as I had with [name_u]Forest[/name_u]. I just wish I could get past my weird hang-ups around alliteration - even though [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] is a hard C and [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] is a soft one, my brain still balks about putting them next to each other.

Oh, I would be delighted to get your input on the Chinese interpretation of Iroh’s name! The characters they use are 艾洛, and in a few places the phonetic pronunciation is given as Aì Luò. Not being a Chinese speaker myself, I cannot speak for the accuracy of that pronunciation, or of the meanings of the characters. I found them on a fan site.
From your other [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] suggestions, I love [name_u]Kai[/name_u], [name_u]Wolf[/name_u], [name_u]Frost[/name_u], and [name_m]Bear[/name_m], though I don’t necessarily feel any of them singing to me in combination with [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u]. I love the symbolism you gave for Quail, but one of the meanings is to cower away from something in fear, which makes me hesitant to use it as a name. I think my favorite option here is [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], which feels warm and loving, gentle and strong.

For [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], I honestly love each one of the names you suggested. I’m just not sure I love them with [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]. [name_m]Alaric[/name_m] fits the vibes I get beautifully, but saying [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Alaric[/name_m] KAY-lahr aloud is a bit of a tongue twister - and though I absolutely adore your suggestion of [name_m]Leander[/name_m], I’m having the same problem there. I think [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Osric[/name_m] definitely has the best flow, but I’m missing that “spark.” I am sorry to be so picky about these things!

For [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], I’m loving the meaning and symbolism of [name_u]Onyx[/name_u]! I just get a bit tongue-tied with the x against our K last name. I think [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Caraway[/name_u] is my favorite here. I love the meaning you’ve given, and I always think of being carried away from one’s troubles whenever I hear this name - the song Orinoco Flow by [name_f]Enya[/name_f] comes to mind.

Wow, so many wonderful suggestions for [name_u]Julian[/name_u]! I’m really loving [name_m]Alabaster[/name_m], the way it looks and sounds, as well as the meaning and lore you provided! I also love your suggestions of [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Basil[/name_u], [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Darius[/name_m], and [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Galileo[/name_m]. The latter especially sings to me. I feel like these two names are really glorious together, though I’m not sure [name_u]North[/name_u] shares the same vibe. Maybe [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Galileo[/name_m] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u]?

I feel like you really grasped the feeling that [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] gives me, because so many of these suggestions give me similar vibes or imagery - [name_m]Faramir[/name_m], [name_m]Gwydion[/name_m], [name_u]Evren[/name_u], [name_m]Numair[/name_m], and most especially [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]! I think [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] is beautiful, but I love it even more as [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] - I feel like these three names are so harmonious and dreamy together, and each of them just sings next to the others. This is another top contender for being THE [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] combo.

Thank you so much for all the feedback and suggestions! I deeply appreciated everything, even the ones I didn’t specifically mention. (I find brevity impossible as is.)

@fearlessfirefly - I won’t lie, I had a similar reaction, so this was validating to see. Thank you! :heart:

On the one hand, I feel like this round of replies gave me a lot of clarity, and on the other hand, I feel like I’m a little all over the place! I think I need to take this list back to the drawing board and reorient some things, which may involve making a new thread? If that’s where I end up, I’ll come back and link to it here.

As always, my deepest love and gratitude and appreciation for each one of you Berries, and all the ways you help me navigate my own labyrinthine headspace!

2 Likes

I’m asking just out of curiosity, but it doesn’t really matter – You are all this kid’s parents. :slight_smile:

Like a said, absolutely NO pressure to answer & I 100% get it, I don’t want to push anyone’s boundaries.

@skylerros - Thank you.

I, like a lot of queer, poly folks, am a little extra prickly or defensive around questions like this, because we get a lot of negative messages from even close family and friends, not to mention society at large. For example, even though S is legally adopting Nugget, her parents have refused to acknowledge our baby as their grandchild, because they won’t be genetically related.

At the same time, when people are asking questions because they have genuine, malice-free interest in nontraditional family structures and want to educate themselves, or because they are also wondering if polyamory or co-parenting with someone other than genetic relatives is the right choice for them, I want to be welcoming of that.

So while the easiest, and perhaps most knee-jerk response is to just be like “nunya beeswax,” I am going to go ahead and give a complete answer.

le answer (collapsed for those who find it off-topic or too sensitive)

I am the “egg mom,” so to speak, and the one carrying the baby. T is the “sperm mom”, so to speak: the other genetic donor. We did not think we would be able to conceive without outside intervention because T is intersex, and we have not used birth control for the majority of the decade we have spent together. Nugget was definitely a surprise baby! I am disabled and have had quite a few complications during this pregnancy, so it is likely that S will be the one carrying any future children we have. We have discussed several possibilities for what that could look like: whether T would be “sperm-mom” again, whether S would use an unrelated donor from a sperm bank, or whether we would do a surrogacy situation where T and I create embryos that S then carries - or a combination of these options for different kids. A lot of it will depend on our life circumstances and health insurance options when the time comes. Regardless of who donates genetic material and who carries the child to term, we are all parents of Nugget and any future children we have together. Family planning is more complicated when you’re a polyamorous family and you have various sexualities and genders to consider, but the most important thing is that we are just as much a family as any cis-het two-parent household.

2 Likes

Glad to have been of help! Somewhat unrelated but my name is [name_m]Julien[/name_m] and I always love seeing what people have to say about the name [name_m]Julien[/name_m]/Julian. You’re not the first to describe it as being a warm sounding name. I also appreciate that you said that the [name_u]Julian[/name_u] combos aren’t very Pisces names - I’m an [name_u]October[/name_u] baby so I’m personally inclined to say that [name_u]Julian[/name_u]/Julien is a [name_f]Libra[/name_f] name with perhaps some [name_u]Gemini[/name_u] vibes as well. [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire is a great combo! I look forward to seeing your updates to the list!

2 Likes

[name_m]Can[/name_m] I just give you some major support for that response? :slight_smile: I’m part of the LGBTQ+ community myself & do want to learn more about it, I just wasn’t sure how to ask without being rude — If I should at all! :joy:

Also, you mentioned T is intergender — Could you ask them/hir/whatever T’s pronouns are if T prefers the term “intersex” or “intergender”? I’ve heard both but don’t personally know any intersex people to ask. :grin:

1 Like

@lavenderwitch Question about polyamorous relationships – Are they like a normal relationship but with multiple people, or everyone in them has multiple partners that the other people don’t necessarily have (similar to an open relationship), or anything else? :grin:

@tfzolghadr - Ooh, I love that you have a [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you mind if I ask how people react to his name? Also thank you very much for the feedback on Iroh! I’m stoked about the mugwort connection, as it is one of my most-used herbs in both medicine and magic. I’ve started a separate thread to see if there are any native Chinese speakers who feel comfortable giving feedback on the name and its usage, so we’ll see where that goes!

@jeeps - Oh, it’s so exciting to hear from a [name_u]Julian[/name_u]! How do you feel about the name? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you encounter a lot of other people with the name, or are you usually the only [name_u]Julian[/name_u] in a group? How do you feel about the nickname [name_u]Jules[/name_u]? Sorry, I totally just bombarded you with questions, haha! I’ve been really drawn toward Au- names as a second middle for the [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Baelfire combo, things like [name_u]August[/name_u], [name_u]Auberon[/name_u], etc. because they feel very red/gold/orange/brown to me, and my synesthesia turns the three names together into a glorious [name_f]Samhain[/name_f] bonfire surrounded by autumn leaves. :heart_eyes:

@skylerros - I’m gonna put my answers under the cut again, since we’re definitely off-topic.

Discussion of queer terminology and polyamorous relationships.

I’m glad my response was helpful to you. I try to assume good intentions behind most questions, and usually don’t mind giving answers. I’m a curious person as well, and I learn things by researching and asking a million questions, so I never want to shut someone down if their intentions are innocent. However, I do want to caution you that there are definitely some folks who would find it rude to even ask these questions, which is their prerogative. I just wouldn’t want you to assume that everyone will always be okay answering questions about their identity and relationships, because different people have different boundaries.

T prefers intersex, which is a term describing biological sex, while they use non-binary to refer to their gender identity. I can’t speak to which is the correct term for other people - best practice is to ask someone how they self-identify, and be careful to use the terms and pronouns they give you.

As for polyamory, again, this will vary widely from person to person and relationship to relationship. The best answer is that a polyamorous relationship looks like whatever the various individuals negotiate and agree to. Consent and communication are extremely important!

For example, in one relationship, it may look like monogamy but with a third person, in that partners are only romantically and sexually involved with each other, and any dating or sleeping around with someone who is not one of the partners would be considered cheating.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have relationship anarchy, where the dynamics can be very fluid and each person is free to have as many romantic partners or sexual encounters as they please, without asking permission or informing other partners (and please note, when I say, “not informing other partners,” that means everyone involved has already agreed that they don’t need to be told every time someone has sex with someone else, not that it’s okay to have sex with someone without your partners knowing that this is what you’re doing or without informing the person that you’re in an open relationship. Again, it’s all about consent and communication).

There are also hierarchical relationships, where an individual will have a primary partner (or partners), but still be open to having relationships with others, whether sexual or romantic or both, as long as the others understand that the primary partner is kind of the core of their relationship structure and will be their main priority. In some relationships, one person is even monogamous while the other partner has multiple paramours. In some relationships, like a triad or throuple, all partners are considered equal and are each involved with each other and no one else. In others, there’s more of a series of V shapes where each person has their own paramours and the paramours aren’t involved with each other.

Again, these things can be as complicated or simple as you want, and they are unique to whatever you and your partners negotiate. As long as everyone involved is aware and consenting and respecting each others’ needs and boundaries, there’s really no wrong way to be in a relationship.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps answer your questions!

1 Like

How exciting!!! you’re name style is to die for, friend. Seriously! All your combos are stunning as well! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] a couple of these spark your fancy!

Caspian ____ [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] (I adore the sound of [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] with your last name! Very strong sounding.)
From your bank:
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]

The following are names I associate with deep greenery.
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Glade[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] Fir [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Evergreen[/name_u] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m] (might be a mouthful)
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_f]Emerald[/name_f] [name_m]Atreyu[/name_m]

Rowan [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] _____ (I might personally avoid “Iroh” because it stands out in terms of style to me; of course a Chinese individual could offer more insight.)
From your bank:
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Constantine[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Cove[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Frost[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]

Other suggestions:
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_f]Iris[/name_f] (similar to Iroh)
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_f]Isis[/name_f] (similar to Iroh; Egyptian goddess, but negative connection to prominent group)
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_m]Plato[/name_m] (philosopher)
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_m]Calyx[/name_m] (plant anatomy)

Emrys [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] ____
From your bank:
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Finbar[/name_m]
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Osric[/name_m]
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_u]Wolf[/name_u]
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] Samael

Solomon [name_u]Fable[/name_u] ____ (Possibly [name_f]Belle[/name_f] as a femme nn?)
From your bank:
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Melchior[/name_m]

Other suggestions:
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Augustine[/name_u] (seemed to fit the style of your names)
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_m]Luther[/name_m] (similar style?)
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] Acheron (similar style?)

Julian ____ ____
From your bank:
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Osric[/name_m] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Tiberius[/name_m] [name_u]North[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Remiel[/name_m] [name_u]Frost[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Gwydion[/name_m] [name_u]Hallow[/name_u]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] [name_m]Finbar[/name_m]
[name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Numair[/name_m] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]

Tristan [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] ____ / ____ [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
From your bank:
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] (I think this is my favorite!)
[name_m]Faramir[/name_m] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
[name_m]Gwydion[/name_m] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
[name_m]Tiberius[/name_m] [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Herne[/name_m]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Hallow[/name_u]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Lucien[/name_m]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_u]Wolf[/name_u]

I had a little too much fun with these :sweat_smile: good luck and congrats on parenthood! Your little one will certainly know that their parents put heart & soul into their names :slight_smile:

Yikes! I had totally forgotten to come add the link to the new thread. Sorry about that, my lovelies. It’s now been added to the original post.

@the_common_fool - Thank you so much for your sweet compliments! This is one of the many reasons why I love Nameberry - in other circles, my style is often considered pretty “out-there.” I love the direction you went with your [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] suggestions, especially [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and [name_u]Evergreen[/name_u]. [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is actually one of the top names on the femme list we’ll be taking to the hospital! For [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], I definitely here you about Iroh feeling rather out of place with the rest of our list. I’m also delighted to see another vote for [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u] [name_u]Sparrow[/name_u]! I love the idea of [name_m]Calyx[/name_m], but up against our last name, it is quite the tongue twister. [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] [name_m]Finbar[/name_m] is just gorgeous! I am going to have to ponder this one. I’m also drawn to [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] [name_u]Augustine[/name_u]. Acheron is so interesting, I love the crackling sound it has! [name_u]Julian[/name_u] [name_m]Gwydion[/name_m] [name_u]Hallow[/name_u] is just to die for. I seem to be irresistibly drawn to autumnal middles for this name, and [name_u]Hallow[/name_u] is definitely chock full of oranges and golds. As for your [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] combos, I love [name_m]Faramir[/name_m] so much that I actually promoted him to another first name option on my next thread. I’m also enchanted by [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_m]Herne[/name_m] - it’s so evocative of hunting for a white stag in a forest of evergreen night. :heart_eyes: I think names should be fun! And creative and magical and powerful and expressive and crammed full with all your wishes and dreams for your baby’s future. After all, the first spell you’ll cast over them is the name you bestow!

@tfzolghadr - [name_f]My[/name_f] goodness, I am really upset on your behalf that people have been so unkind to you about the beautiful names you’ve chosen! [name_f]Emiliana[/name_f] and [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] are both seriously gorgeous names with very intuitive pronunciations, legitimate meanings, and a long history of use. They’re no more made up or bizarre or difficult to spell or say than [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I appreciate that you chose [name_f]Emiliana[/name_f] over something like [name_f]Grace[/name_f]! Not that there’s anything wrong with the classics, per se, just that I always find them so common, which makes them feel plain to me. I do not want to name my child something that feels common and plain. I want to name them something that feels magical and inspiring and uniquely theirs.

1 Like

I actually chose my name myself a few years ago so I love it, I’m a butch lesbian and my birth name was very feminine and sounded like it was from a soap opera (because it was) so I wanted something that felt like me and [name_m]Julien[/name_m] very much does. I took a few years to choose my name and that process is actually how I got into reading the nameberry forums. I don’t know many other [name_u]Julian[/name_u]/Juliens. I have one internet friend named [name_u]Julian[/name_u], one musician I like named [name_m]Julien[/name_m] ([name_u]Baker[/name_u]), [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Julien[/name_m] (the lemur from the Madagascar movie), [name_u]Julian[/name_u] of Norwich (a medieval mystic who wrote the oldest surviving book in [name_f]English[/name_f] by a woman), and two real life acquaintances named [name_u]Julian[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] roommate is named [name_f]Julia[/name_f] though which sometimes causes confusion, we both call each other [name_u]Jules[/name_u] as a nickname and I have a few other people who call me [name_u]Jules[/name_u] as well. I enjoy it.

Julian Baelfire [name_u]August[/name_u] is beautiful! [name_u]August[/name_u] was actually a name that I considered as both a first or middle name for myself but didn’t ultimately go for because I . Au- names are great, I also especially like [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] (the golden one), [name_m]Audric[/name_m] (wise ruler), and [name_u]Auden[/name_u] (old friend).

1 Like