Final Monster List Wrap-Up!

I don’t know how, but we did it, gang! Over the course of two weeks, three rounds, and five threads, we narrowed down my massive list of 141 names to just 30 finalists for us to take to the hospital! I am so overwhelmed with gratitude for the feedback and support you have all given me throughout this process, and I can’t wait to share the final name with you after our little Nugget is born!

If you’re new to the saga of the Monster List, here’s where we started: Help me narrow down my MASSIVE list! (Part 1: A-G). For a little context, I am in a long-term polyamorous relationship with two live-in partners, and we will all be co-parenting together. I’ve called them T and S to avoid confusion. We’re also super pagan, hence all the witchy names! We’re planning to use two middle names, which is part of how the list got so long in the first place. Our last name spelled phonetically is KAY-lahr.

And now, without further ado, here are the finalists:

• [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] - F - “kingfisher”
    [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] is a figure from Greek mythology whose lover was killed by a storm after they insulted the gods by calling each other [name_m]Zeus[/name_m] and [name_f]Hera[/name_f]. [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] learned of his fate in a dream and threw herself into the sea in grief. The gods took pity on the couple, turning them into kingfishers. As additional apology for their wrath, they created a period of time around the winter solstice when no storms would trouble the sea, which became known as [name_u]Halcyon[/name_u] Days in [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f]'s honor. [name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] is also the name of a star in the constellation [name_m]Taurus[/name_m], the brightest star in the Pleiades cluster. This name also has deeper meaning to T and I, as it references a place that was very special to us early in our relationship, as well as its proprietor who called us her “kids.”
  • [name_u]Alder[/name_u] - U - “alder tree”
    Old [name_f]English[/name_f] surname referencing alder trees, which have magical and medicinal properties. Alders harden in water rather than rotting, and alder trees are said to mark passages to the fairy realm. There’s also a reference here to the powerful matriarch of the witch community in Motherland: [name_m]Fort[/name_m] [name_u]Salem[/name_u], [name_m]General[/name_m] [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_u]Alder[/name_u]. This name has special significance to our family, as we are in the process of closing on a piece of property on which to build our homestead, and the land is covered in red alder trees!
  • [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] - F - “beautiful lady”
    Atropa belladonna is the Latin name for deadly nightshade, a poisonous plant used in both magic and medicine. The name comes from the fact that historically, women would use eyedrops of belladonna to dilate their pupils and appear more alluring. The lore around belladonna abounds. It was a traditional ingredient in witches’ flying ointments, and is even said to be the poison [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] ingested in the famous Shakespearean tragedy. As an herbalist, I am always fascinated by plants that are both toxic and medicinal. [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] can be used as a sedative or to reduce muscle spasms, and just like those historical ladies, modern eye doctors use belladonna drops to dilate the pupils during vision exams.
  • [name_f]Circe[/name_f] - F - “bird; to encircle (with enchantment)”
    A powerful sorceress from Greek myth, daughter of the sun god [name_m]Helios[/name_m] and [name_f]Hecate[/name_f], goddess of witchcraft, crossroads, and the Underworld. [name_f]Circe[/name_f] was famous for her vast knowledge of potions, herbs, and poisons, with which she changed men and women into animals in many of her legends, the most famous of which being [name_m]Homer[/name_m]'s Odyssey. In later literature, she became the archetype of the magician, the witch, and the predatory woman, symbolizing the “evils” of female sexuality. There is also a genus of poisonous plants named after her called enchanter’s nightshade.
  • [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] - F - “order, beauty”
    A mystical sounding name with scientific and musical associations, while various historical figures with the masculine variant, [name_m]Cosimo[/name_m], were linked to astrology, divination, secret societies, and the occult. Also references the brilliant queer scientist [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] Niehaus from one of my favorite shows, Orphan [name_m]Black[/name_m]. To me, this name feels like “cosmos” and sparks my synesthesia to see clouds of midnight blue with silver sparkles. Potential nickname: Cozy!
  • [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] - U - “cypress tree”
    A mysterious tree name (usually given to boys), cypress is found throughout magic, medicine, and mythology, where it symbolizes the land of the dead, grief and mourning, death and rebirth. It is sacred to [name_f]Hecate[/name_f], goddess of witchcraft, crossroads, magic, and the Underworld. In Jewish tradition, cypress symbolizes the immortality of the soul, making this a slight nod to T’s Ashkenazi Jewish heritage.
  • [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] - U - “elm tree”
    A gorgeous Cornish botanical name with strong elvish vibes. The Cornish language is endangered and nearly died out, but a group of dedicated activists were able to preserve and revive the language. There are now over 3000 speakers, and Cornish names like [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] are once again on the rise. [name_u]Elm[/name_u] trees are prolific in Cornwall and have lots of associated witchy lore. They share a special affinity with the elves who guarded the burial mounds that contained their dead and served as passageways to the Underworld.
  • [name_f]Eve[/name_f] - F - “life; beautiful, radiant; evening”
    In Hebrew tradition, [name_f]Eve[/name_f] was [name_m]Adam[/name_m]‘s second wife, though in [name_u]Christian[/name_u] creation stories, she was the first woman. [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is also the Anglicized version of [name_f]Aoife[/name_f], a Gaelic warrior woman from Irish legend. Also a word name meaning evening, sometimes associated with the witching hour. Nickname [name_f]Evie[/name_f] also brings in references to two favorite fictional characters: spirited librarian [name_f]Evie[/name_f] O’[name_m]Connell[/name_m] from The Mummy series, and reluctant revolutionary [name_f]Evey[/name_f] [name_m]Hammond[/name_m] from the incredible V for [name_f]Vendetta[/name_f].
  • [name_u]Fable[/name_u] - U - “a short tale, often with a moral lesson”
    One of my absolute favorite word names, laden with a sense of magic, story, and mystery. Obliquely honors one of my closest friends who I met playing the eponymous video game series. Also a nod to S, who is a prolific writer, and even myself, a former children’s librarian.
  • [name_f]Fern[/name_f] / Fearn - “bold voyager; one who lives among the ferns”
    A beautiful botanical name laden with personal and spiritual significance. Variant Fearn is the Ogham month and rune associated with the alder tree. (Ogham is a druidic language in which each letter is associated with a calendar period, a magical tree, and a divinatory meaning.) Between this association and the fact that we live in the [name_m]Pacific[/name_m] Northwest, this name has double the ties to the land we’ll be homesteading on. Currently S’s top choice.
  • [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] - F - “white snow”
    A magical Welsh name that combines the masculine element [name_u]Gwyn[/name_u], meaning, “white, fair, blessed,” with the feminine element eira, meaning, “snow.” The combination of gendered elements makes this name a nod to T, who is intersex and non-binary. [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] is also essentially the Welsh version of [name_u]Snow[/name_u] White.
  • [name_f]Illyria[/name_f] - F - “living star; the one that sparks”
    A half-mythical place name used by [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m], as well as a Buffyverse reference via a character in the spin-off show [name_u]Angel[/name_u]. I have loved this name for ages for its ethereal, liquid sound, but could never find a meaning beyond “ancient place name.” I finally stumbled across some etymology, and once I realized what the name means, I fell in love even harder! The idea of Sparks connects to a concept from one of T’s favorite comics, Girl Genius, so they loved the meaning as well.
  • [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] / Lumiere - U - “snow / light”
    [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] is a Finnish name in its own right, meaning, “snow.” This name honors S, who is of Finnish heritage. The language has over 40 words for snow, and we have joked about giving one of them to each of our future children!
    [name_m]Long[/name_m]-form Lumiere is a [name_u]French[/name_u] name meaning “light,” most commonly associated with the candlestick from Beauty and the Beast, but more interestingly, with a pair of brothers who developed photography equipment and birthed the phenomenon of projected film.
  • Lunaria - F - “honesty; moon-like”
    A genus of flowering plants in the fern family, known by their common name, honesty. The plant’s seed pods bear a strong resemblance to silver coins, earning it the nickname “money plant.” These same silvery seed pods are also responsible for the name’s “moon-like” meaning. Lunaria is also known as moonwort and believed to have magical properties. In folklore, witches were repelled by iron, but moonwort nullified the effects of iron amulets and protective barriers, allowing witches to walk by night wherever they pleased. The fern connection again has special significance for us.
  • [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] - F - “strong in work”
    A freshwater spirit in [name_u]French[/name_u] folklore, depicted with the lower body of a fish or serpent and frequently with wings as well. She is associated with springs, pools, and sacred wells. Legends about her are numerous, but the common thread is that she is married to man who swears never to watch her bathe. One day, he breaks his oath, and her shape-shifting status is revealed. When she realizes his betrayal, she flies away and disappears, in some versions taking their children with her. I love this as an unexpected route to nickname [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], a reference to the beloved Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] series.
  • [name_f]Moon[/name_f] - U - “the moon”
    One of the more adventurous word names on the list, with obvious pagan and witchy connotations. Also references the main character of American Gods, a book that, while fictional, has been very influential in my spiritual life.
  • [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] - F - “waves of the sea; white sea”
    Welsh variant of [name_f]Morgana[/name_f], as well as an obscure Cornish goddess who became a saint, famous for building a stone church with her own hands. Where she once stopped to rest, legend says a spring gushed forth, which became one of the sacred wells that hold so much meaning and inspire pilgrimages for pagans and Christians alike. This name has been near the top of my list for years.
  • [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] - U - “night singer”
    A magical word name with connotations of beautiful song and deep velvety night. Nightingales are associated with love and loss, life and death, melancholy and joy, spiritual enlightenment and shadow work - their symbolism is always in pairs, illustrating the inherent duality of existence. As an herbalist, I also love the associations with healing via the famous nurse, [name_f]Florence[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u].
  • [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] - F - “cloud; pale wanderer; [name_f]Lady[/name_f] of the [name_u]Lake[/name_u]”
    Sorceress of Arthurian legend, frequently associated with the [name_f]Lady[/name_f] of the [name_u]Lake[/name_u]. Sometimes she is described as [name_m]Merlin[/name_m]'s lover, sometimes the duplicitous enchantress who sealed him inside a tree, and sometimes both. This name obliquely honors my sister [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], as well as the late [name_m]Leonard[/name_m] Nimoy, for whom I have always had tremendous respect. It is one of the top names on my list, with [name_f]Nim[/name_f] as a nickname to bring in references to The Rats of NIMH trilogy, as well as the eponymous character from the movie [name_f]Nim[/name_f]'s [name_u]Island[/name_u], which is a further homage to my sister.
  • [name_u]Noor[/name_u] - U - “light; young”
    A magical name with many interesting variations, each with its own lore. [name_u]Noor[/name_u] (also spelled [name_f]Nour[/name_f] and [name_u]Nur[/name_u]) is a spiritually resonant name in Arabic meaning, “the [name_u]Divine[/name_u] light,” associated with enlightenment and considered one of the 99 names of Allah. In Norse mythology, [name_u]Noor[/name_u] (also spelled [name_f]Nor[/name_f] or Norr), is the son of a legendary king who goes to search for his missing sister and conquers the lands of modern day Norway in the process. In [name_m]Dutch[/name_m] and Flemish, [name_u]Noor[/name_u] is a diminutive of [name_f]Eleanora[/name_f], derived from [name_f]Alienor[/name_f] of [name_f]Aquitaine[/name_f], queen consort of [name_f]France[/name_f]. And in the Estonian language, [name_u]Noor[/name_u] is a surname referring to eternal youth.
  • [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] - F - “eighth”
    Not the most inspiring meaning, but she makes up for it with lots of great references: [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s [name_m]Antony[/name_m] and [name_f]Cleopatra[/name_f]; amazing sci-fi author of color [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_m]Butler[/name_m]; the brilliant and creative [name_u]Tavi[/name_u] from the Codex Alera series, and best-for-last, the incredible illegal second child turned warrior turned gladiator queen turned badass co-parent, [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] from The 100. This name is currently one of T’s top picks.
  • [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] - F - “white circle; white footprint”
    An enchanting Welsh fairy tale name from Arthurian romance in which [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] was the daughter of a giant chieftain who assigned a series of increasingly difficult tasks to her suitor because of a prophecy that if she married, he would die. Her name comes from the fact that she was such a pure, gentle soul, white clovers sprung up wherever she walked. I’m a sucker for O names, Welsh names, and fairy tale names, so this one hits a sweet spot for me.
  • [name_f]Oona[/name_f] - F - “lamb”
    Irish variant of the Finnish name [name_f]Una[/name_f]. [name_f]Oona[/name_f] was an Irish fairy queen and wife of legendary king [name_m]Finbar[/name_m] / Finvarra, [name_m]King[/name_m] of the Dead and the Daoine [name_f]Sidhe[/name_f]. Variant [name_f]Oonagh[/name_f] is a sorceress from one of my favorite series, Sevenwaters, by [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] Marillier. This name is also a nod to S’s Finnish heritage.
  • [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] - F - “help, succor”
    The most famous [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is the “tragic” heroine from [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m], traditionally believed to have gone mad and drowned herself in grief over the loss of her father and [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m]'s treatment of her. However, knowledge of Victorian flower language reframes her famous bouquet speech as a bold and clever callout of the most powerful people at court, an act of defiance that likely got her assassinated. I have always had an intensely personal connection to her character. Other [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] references include characters in Uncle [name_m]Tom[/name_m]'s Cabin, The Addams Family, and [name_m]Pan[/name_m]'s Labyrinth. Also the name of one of the moons of Uranus.
  • [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] - U - “daydream”
    Captivating word name for an ethereal dreamlike state, which can also reference being lost in memories. This is the name of one of my favorite pieces of music by impressionist composer [name_u]Claude[/name_u] Debussy. I love the idea of [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] as an unexpected path to the nickname [name_f]Evie[/name_f].
  • [name_u]Snow[/name_u] - U - “frozen precipitation”
    A fantastically wintry word name littered with meaningful references. There is the obvious link to [name_u]Snow[/name_u] White, and my favored incarnation of her, Snowfrom Once Upon A Time (as opposed to her [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] persona, who tends to irritate me, [name_u]Snow[/name_u] is brilliant, fierce, passionate, and rebellious, all things I love in a heroine.) [name_u]Snow[/name_u] is also one of my favorite characters in a very strange book called Solitaire by [name_u]Kelley[/name_u] Eskridge, a haunting story that I’ve read over and over again. This name also obliquely honors our gods, partly through the connection with their wintry homeland, but also because every time one of them has moved significantly in our lives, their arrival is heralded by an intense winter storm, unusual for the part of the country where we live.
  • [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] - F - “woodland; from the forest”
    Feminine variant of [name_m]Sylvester[/name_m], a name that originated with [name_m]Silvanus[/name_m], [name_m]Roman[/name_m] god of woods and wild places, a domain that resonates strongly with us. Nickname [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] also has special meaning to us due to the way it sounds like “silver;” a long story, but anything silvery is getting strong consideration for this baby. Not only is it chock full of wild and woodsy vibes, but it also has another layer of significance to me. I have been a tarot reader for over a decade, and it is one of my life’s great passions. The first deck I ever worked with is called Fenestra, and the similarity in sound makes me think of this deck every time I hear the name [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f].
  • [name_u]Willow[/name_u] - U - “willow tree”
    An unearthly beautiful tree with a laundry list of literary and mythology associations, too many to name them all! Willows are another Ogham tree (Ogham is a druidic language in which each letter is associated with a calendar period, a magical tree, and a divinatory meaning.) and they have long been believed to possess magical properties. Their bark is a staple for any herbalist, as it is the substance from which aspirin is derived. Among the many references with personal meaning are the Grandmother Willowfrom Disney’s [name_f]Pocahontas[/name_f], the eponymous male character from the fantasy movie [name_u]Willow[/name_u], and the [name_u]Willow[/name_u] Song from [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s [name_m]Othello[/name_m] But the ultimate reference, and the reason I have fiercely adored this name since childhood is the incredible [name_u]Willow[/name_u] Rosenberg from [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] the Vampire Slayer. Not only is she an amazing character possessed of great passion and strength beneath her shy exterior, but in many ways, she is the reason I became the proudly queer witch I am today.
  • [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f] - F - “Wister’s flower; devotion”
    The horticulturist who discovered [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f] named it after his friend, a glassmaker. In Victorian flower language, wisteria is a symbol of devotion. It can live for over 100 years and is believed to bestow longevity on its caretakers. I have adored this name since childhood, as wisterias are my favorite flower. Their dangling purple blossoms smell so heady and magical, and I love the juxtaposition between the delicate blossoms and the implacable strength of the woody vines. This flower never fails to remind me fondly of my childhood home in the Deep [name_u]South[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite nickname option is the fanciful and unexpected Wish.
  • [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] - F - “grey fighting maid; dark battle; blessed, happy”
    Some sources cite [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] as a dimunitive of [name_f]Griselda[/name_f], which is where the first two meanings come from; others say it is a variant of the Yiddish name [name_m]Selig[/name_m], which is the origin of the latter meaning. The reference to the popular game series obliquely honors one of T’s loved ones. I fell in love with this name after watching [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] [name_m]Otto[/name_m]'s awesome portrayal of the badass Spellman sister and eventual matriarch of the witches from Chilling Adventures of [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f].

And that is a WRAP, my lovelies! The final version of the Monster List that will be coming with us to the hospital. I can’t believe I was able to narrow down the list this far, and I know for a fact I could never have done it without the help of this wonderful community. Thank you, Berries! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

22 Likes

Honestly such a beautiful list. Whichever you pick will be perfect!

3 Likes

I love all of these(though no one asked)! Call me old-fashioned(though I’m only in middle school), but I love [name]Belladonna[/name_f] and [name]Nightingale[/name_f]! Good luck on choosing! I bet she’ll be beautiful.

2 Likes

So many stunning names!
I’ll give you my top 5, in random order.
[name_f]Alcyone[/name_f] - I adore the meaning this has to you and the kingfisher imagery. A bit tricky pronunciation-wise but the sound is so lovely that it’s worth it, and the nicknames are gorgeous
[name_u]Snow[/name_u] - So much strength in one name! I think the meaning you give it is absolutely great as well, in regard to your religion.
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] - Beautiful sound and vibe, and like you said it’s linked to so many wonderful things!
[name_u]Cypress[/name_u] - A little different style-wise but still mystical and gorgeous. Again, more stunning imagery
[name_u]Fable[/name_u] - I adore the connection this name has to you and your family!
[name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] - This is just a stunning name, which feels elegant and witchy but still very wearable. The connection to your partner is so sweet!

2 Likes

You have such incredible taste! I love everything here <3

2 Likes

Such a lovely list. Although I haven’t been following along your name journey, I had to stop in and say when I saw [name_u]Alder[/name_u] on your list it about took my breath away. Such a simple, natural name, yet so utterly unexpected.

2 Likes

Wow! Your list is stunning! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f], [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u], [name_u]Noor[/name_u], [name_f]Olwen[/name_f], [name_f]Oona[/name_f], and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]!

2 Likes

What an incredible list of names! :blue_heart: I’m so excited to see what you end up going with if you decide to share! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are: [name_u]Alder[/name_u], [name_f]Elowen[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_f]Fern[/name_f], [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_f]Melusine[/name_f], [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u], [name_u]Noor[/name_u], [name_f]Oona[/name_f], [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], and [name_u]Willow[/name_u]–but oh my goodness, you have nothing but amazing choices here :heart_eyes: Good luck!!

2 Likes

I will come back with soooooooo many more thoughts about your lovely final list (fellow pnw resident and name enthusiast here!) but I just wanted to say off the cuff that Cozy is so sweet and also how delightful would [name_f]Cosette[/name_f] be as a [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] nn as well?

2 Likes

You have a wonderful list! And congratulations!

2 Likes

What a lovely list. I feel like you can’t go wrong with any of these choices. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites from your list: [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] (love Orphan [name_m]Black[/name_m]!), [name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f], [name_f]Lumi[/name_f], [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] (don’t see her very often, so love this), [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f].

2 Likes

I bid you good luck on choosing your daughters name, you really have some beautiful names

2 Likes

I have to ditto [name_f]Grace[/name_f] on this one. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m SO beyond excited for you and to see what you come up with in the end! I fell off the helpful wagon with your last thread because I’m about to move and hardly have time for this site right now, but wanted to pop in and say I’m in love with your final picks and have every confidence that your little nugget will have one of the most magical names ever.

I have to say I’m rooting for [name_f]Illyria[/name_f], [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] or [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] :wink:

Will be thinking of you in [name_u]March[/name_u] :heart:

2 Likes

I’ve whipped up a few combos that have beautiful meanings and I thought I’d share! I didn’t manage to squeeze all the names in; some of them just didn’t call to me. But here are a few, hopefully something sparks you here!

Elowen [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] [name_u]Fable[/name_u]
“a fairy tale in the elm forest”

Illyria [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]
“living star that sings beneath the moon”

Nimue [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]
“pale wanderer of the moonlit forest”

Wisteria [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u]
“flowers of devotion springing up in the snow”

Alder Lunaria [name_u]Snow[/name_u]
”honesty opens the entrance to the winter faerie realm”

Melusine Lunaria [name_f]Eve[/name_f]
“moon-like water spirit of the evening”

Nimue [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]
”helpful lady of the moon-lit lake”

Zelda [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_u]Noor[/name_u]
“strong fighting maid of light”

Olwen [name_f]Gwyneira[/name_f] [name_u]Snow[/name_u]
“white flowers springing up in the snow”

Circe [name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] [name_f]Fern[/name_f]
“enchanting, beautiful lady who encircles boldly”

Octavia [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
“the eighth singing bird of light”

Ophelia [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f]
“one who gives refuge in a dream-like forest”

Morwenna [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]
”lady of the moon, lake and White [name_u]Sea[/name_u]”

Morwenna [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]
”dream-like moon shining upon the waves of the sea”

Illyria [name_f]Lumi[/name_f] [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]
”living spark of light above the waves of the sea”

6 Likes

WORDS CANNOT EVEN EXPRESS the absolute amazingness of this entire post, but I will approximate by informing you that my internal self is turning in circles and emitting teakettle noises. ALL OF THE HEART EYES. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

[name_f]Every[/name_f] single one of these is so beautiful and meaningful and lights my heart on fire. I don’t even know where to begin!

This is exactly the imagery I receive from this combo, and I am enthralled that you managed to put it into words!

THIS. MEANING. oh, my heart!

I find this absolutely gorgeous, and the fact that I can see how you’ve woven the meanings together means that I can start approximating an imitation of your process by swapping out a name here and there. For example, [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] [name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] might then be “pale wanderer in the forest of ferns?” Which is just SO. MAGICAL.

Not only do I love this as is, but the imagery you’ve presented by connecting [name_f]Wisteria[/name_f] and [name_f]Olwen[/name_f] is making me picture wisteria vines growing in her footsteps instead of white clovers, and if that is not the most magical image…!

Are you a writer?? [name_u]Poet[/name_u]?? Because if not, you absolutely should be. The way you take these abstract symbols and translate them into the most lyrical meanings is so, SO captivating!

This is utterly dreamy! I love the way you’ve interwoven [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] to create a whole new character in my mind.

I never would have thought to pair [name_f]Zelda[/name_f]'s proud, bold, warrioresque energy with [name_f]Melusine[/name_f], who feels very elusive, silvery, and slippery to the touch, and [name_u]Noor[/name_u], who feels cool and ethereal and remote. But with the way you knit their meanings together, they suddenly make sense as a combo!

I love, love, LOVE these three together, even before I read the meaning you crafted. This combo is just dripping with wintry fairy tale magic.

I am practically swooning over this combination! I love each of these three names so much individually, and together, they just sing! [name_m]Even[/name_m] the rhythm and sound of all the syllables together is so harmonious to my ears.

I super love this illustration of how [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]'s less-than-inspiring meaning as a standalone name can still be woven into a combination with other names to create something beautiful. As an herbalist, I’m always preaching the synergistic approach, that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and here is a dose of my own medicine - presented in the loveliest way, of course!

So beyond enchanted with this meaning you have crafted…! A dream-like forest is exactly what I picture with these three names.

Once again, I feel like you’ve stitched individual names together to create an entirely new, self-contained character, a goddess of moon and water. This is exactly the feeling that [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] has always given to me, but I couldn’t put it into words!

How perfectly magical is this imagery?? It just takes my breath away!

Once again, I am enchanted by your ability to take these individual meanings and craft them into something so specific and evocative.

This entire post was just a feast for my imagination, and I expect I will be coming back to it again and again for inspiration. THANK YOU @alatari, truly! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Wonderful list. Still rooting for Lunaria [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] which was my suggestion in your other post so I am pleased to see these names still. Something about Lunaria [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] is so majestic, earthy and betwitching. [name_m]Can[/name_m]'t wait to see what you call her. :blush:

3 Likes

You have a beautiful list!

My top—

Silvestra
[name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
Lunaria
[name_f]Lumi[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]

I’d love a [name_f]Silvestra[/name_f] [name_f]Lumi[/name_f]!

1 Like

Omg, I’m so glad you love them! I have been a bit stressed lately and it was such a soothing process to come up with these combos, truly medicine for my daydreaming soul.

I was going to put [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] [name_f]Fern[/name_f], but I ended up swapping for [name_f]Moon[/name_f] because my Cancerian self is obsessed with all things lunar. But I LOVE this combo for you, it’s close to [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] which you’ve had in your UC, and definitely gives me lush, deep green with a touch of silvery magic. I love it!!

Haha, this is too lovely of you. I am a born writer who has to get over my own self-confidence issues - so this comment means a lot to me! :white_heart:

I am really feeling the lack of [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] in my list, so I thought I’d add one more that I came up with using her!

[name_f]Cosima[/name_f] [name_f]Melusine[/name_f] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]
“radiant beauty, order and strength of the universe”

2 Likes

@anon25197097 - I am so glad you’re pleased with the final list! Lunaria and [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] are both still here! Lunaria especially has been haunting my dreams lately, but in the best way.

@EllieWilbury - Thanks so much for you feedback! [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] and Lunaria are both in my top ten right now, for sure.

@alatari - I am delighted to hear that this has been a mutually beneficial experience! I’ve so appreciated all your insights, and knowing that interacting with my list has been soothing rather than spoon-draining for you lets me enjoy the fruits of your labours without feeling guilty, lol.

I completely understand the lunar feels! We’re a very lunar little tribe ourselves. T is a Pisces, and S is a Cancer, while I’m a bit of an odd duck - [name_m]Leo[/name_m] sun, but with 5 planets in my 12th house, so my chart is Pisces dominant, even though I have no planets in that actual sign. And if Nugget arrives within a week of their due date on either side, they’ll be a Pisces as well! I know PIsces is ruled by [name_u]Neptune[/name_u] rather than the [name_f]Moon[/name_f], but I always feel like all the water signs are a little extra susceptible to those lunar influences.

I am really in love with [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] [name_f]Fern[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] right now. I hadn’t even noticed the similarity to [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvestra[/name_f] until you pointed it out, but that was one of my top two before S gave [name_f]Lily[/name_f] the veto. I kept quite a few of the nature and word names on the hospital list, but I have a feeling that for this category, it’s going to come down to [name_f]Fern[/name_f] and [name_u]Alder[/name_u]. S is head over heels for [name_f]Fern[/name_f], and T is really loving [name_u]Alder[/name_u], and of course I’m swooning over both of them.

I knew it! You have such a deft hand with wordcraft and symbolism and meaning, all of which indicate to me that someone has the writing gene. I relate so hard to the knowledge that you’re born to do something and the way that bumps up against self-doubt and messages from society that you’ll never measure up to some arbitrary standard. Next time you need a confidence boost, just remember - if a random stranger on an internet forum can tell you have the gift just from reading your posts, there’s clearly something undeniable in you shining through even just your day-to-day interactions! :slight_smile:

2 Likes