Cool Cowboy or Stylish Smartypants?

We think we’ve narrowed our name choices, and we’re ready for some opinions.

[name]Wyatt[/name] [name]Alain[/name], or
[name]Miles[/name] [name]Alain[/name]

We’ve been following two rules: (1) The first name needs to sound the same in an English accent and a (basically) non-regional U.S. accent (for example, [name]Graham[/name] doesn’t work–I say “[name]Gram[/name],” and he says “Grae-ham”); (2) it must use one of the following names as a middle name: [name]Alain[/name], [name]Jacques[/name] or Pacifique (but either of these last two may be a bit much for kid in the U.S.).

What do you think? [name]Do[/name] you have other ideas we should consider?

[name]Wyatt[/name] and [name]Miles[/name] are excellent choices! [name]Both[/name] sound like open and honest names! I know about accents, my dh’s family are Sweedish and they have issues with some names.
Here are a few names that I know are pronounced the same in both accents:
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Ben[/name] (I think this has the same feeling as [name]Wyatt[/name] and [name]Miles[/name] just alone as [name]Ben[/name])
[name]Timothy[/name]
[name]Jack[/name] (Which would give you a variant of [name]Jacques[/name])

What do you think? I would avoid anything ending in ‘a’ if you ever have a girl because the Brits have a tendency of sounding it like ‘er’. My friend [name]Anna[/name] has always been called [name]Anner[/name] by her father! lol.

Thanks, sadiesadie! [name]Love[/name] the suggestions, too, and excellent point about the -a to -r.

Taking your rules into consideration, I would go with [name]Miles[/name]. I’ve never heard of a non-regional US accent. [name]Every[/name] region has its own accent, and in each region I’ve heard a different pronunciation of [name]Wyatt[/name]. I’m not sure how the Brits pronounce it, but I’d imagine it’d be different than how an American would. Since [name]Miles[/name] is only one syllable, I think it would be your best bet.

good point–everyone has some kind of regional accent! sound is tricky to describe. thanks for your thoughts!

I strongly prefer [name]Miles[/name]

[name]Miles[/name] [name]Alain[/name] is pretty fantastic, i must say. I agree with others [name]Wyatt[/name] can be prn. differently with accents on different syllable, Wy-at, Wy-t almost rhymes with White, Wy-ot…[name]Miles[/name] on the other hand is smooth and rolls off the tongue.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses!

[name]MIles[/name] [name]Alain[/name] is great- very classy and yet [name]Miles[/name] is so cute on a little boy. [name]Wyatt[/name] seems sort of westerny to me- cowboy yes! I think [name]Miles[/name] is much better!