Cordelia vs. Cornelia

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]! It’s so sweet, happy, and vintage. [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] has appeal, but not as much.

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I dont know why, I think its the ‘Corn’ part of of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] just turns me off a bit

I’m glad to find someone in the [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] camp! I love the nn [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] (as well as [name_f]Nella[/name_f], [name_f]Nelia[/name_f], & [name_f]Nell[/name_f]), and it’s one of the reasons why I’m so drawn to [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], on the other hand, is extra special because of the [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables series. My name is [name_f]Anne[/name_f], and I loved those books as a child, so I feel a connection because of that.

I’m probably overthinking this way too much, but oh well, it’s really nice to see what all the other people here think :slight_smile:

It’s nice to see somebody in the [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] camp! I love [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] as well (along with [name_f]Nella[/name_f], [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Nelia[/name_f]), and it’s one of the reasons why I’m slightly leaning towards [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. Both names are lovely though, so it’s hard to choose one.

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. Because of the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] character, and [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is too CORN.

I love [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. My Romanian part of the family always named their first son [name_m]Cornell[/name_m]. But, Grandma [name_u]Corny[/name_u] (and yes, she goes by [name_u]Corny[/name_u]) was the first-born and a girl. Her father decided it didn’t matter that she was female and named her [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. I love that story! And Grandma [name_u]Corny[/name_u] had a side job as a clown–instant stage name!

I would use [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] in a heartbeat to honor the generations of [name_m]Cornell[/name_m] men and one very special [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. I would probably choose a different nn though.

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. I don’t like the ‘cord’ at the beginning of [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. It just bothers me…

[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. I don’t like the ‘cord’ at the beginning of [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. It just bothers me…

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] is what we named our unborn and in [name_f]Heaven[/name_f] daughter: [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f].

I love that name above all others.

That being said, I think [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is a great name too.

And let’s face it, most names have some weird sound in them or connotation to them. I don’t care for [name_m]Cord[/name_m] or Corn (or [name_f]Cordy[/name_f] or [name_u]Corny[/name_u] for that matter), but even a beautiful [name_m]Charles[/name_m] can become a hideous [name_m]Chuck[/name_m] and what are we to do?

Positive associations with [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]: Its gorgeous sound and meaning. Lear’s only good daughter. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] by [name_m]Winston[/name_m] [name_m]Graham[/name_m] who wrote the Poldark books. Celtic culture. The wonderful nicknames of [name_f]Coral[/name_f], [name_f]Delia[/name_f], and [name_f]Della[/name_f]. The name [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables yearned to be called and [name_f]Diana[/name_f] christened her first daughter (Small [name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]). A strong and rare name.

Positive associations with [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]: An old-fashioned charm. Wonderful nicknames [name_f]Coral[/name_f] and [name_f]Nelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Nella[/name_f]. A soft sound. Miss [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_m]Bryant[/name_m] in the later [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables books. Something warm and homespun about this name, like [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]'s younger and less elegant sister.

And both are 5,347 times more interesting and beautiful than the names I encounter daily!

I agree 100%. I love both names, but I prefer [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] to [name_f]Delia[/name_f], which makes me put [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] above [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], because [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] could be nicknamed Corn, but I like [name_f]Nelia[/name_f] more than [name_f]Delia[/name_f]. I would rather pick [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f].

I love them both, but I’m in the [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] camp. I hear cor -nelia, not corn - elia, if that makes sense. I also really love [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] as a nickname for just about anything I can use it for, and I think it makes sense as a nn for [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. Also, [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] feels a little more unexpected these days than [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], and that holds some weight for me too.

I prefer [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] seems very lofty and glittery to me, and I can’t see it on a real person, let alone a child. [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], however, has rather a lot of charm and I really like it.

That’s a great story!

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] all the way. [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] makes me think of [name_m]Cornell[/name_m] the school and it starts with corn, no thank you.

Okay, I’ve seen this debate on Nameberry before, and I think it’s an American thing to not really be a fan of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] because of the emphasis on “corn.” Maybe it sounds different in different accents? I dunno. Personal preference. I prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I love the sound of the name and the meaning is beautiful.

I also suspect that it’s an American thing. Personally, I find the ‘cord’ part in [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] worse - it reminds me of umbilical cord (!). As for pronunciation, [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is pronounced kawr-NE-lee-ah ([name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] = kawr-[name_u]DEL[/name_u]-ee-ə) where I live, so it’s quite different I think. Both names are so gorgeous, though!

I didn’t know that there was already an existing thread about this. I couldn’t find any when I searched, you wouldn’t happen to have the link to it? It would be nice to compare with the responses in this tread :slight_smile:

I also suspect that it’s an American thing. Personally, I find the ‘cord’ part in [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] worse - it reminds me of umbilical cord (!). As for pronunciation, [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is pronounced kawr-NE-lee-ah ([name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] = kawr-[name_u]DEL[/name_u]-ee-ə) where I live, so it’s quite different I think. Both names are so gorgeous, though!

I didn’t know that there was already an existing thread about this. I couldn’t find any when I searched, you wouldn’t happen to have the link to it? It would be nice to compare with the responses in this tread :slight_smile:

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] for sure (I’m an American and LOOOOVE this name!). But the other pronunciation of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]–which I didn’t know existed til just now–is intriguing.

I like both names, and we’re considering them. But a major strike against both is this very conversation. I’ve told people we’re considering [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], and they say, “Oh, [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]! [name_f]Lovely[/name_f]!” I think either way you go, the girl would have to explain it isn’t the other name. Very inconvenient and kind of ruins both for me.

DH is very set on [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I actually prefer [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] because it sounds a little less flouncy/princessy to me. More international, less British.

I also associate the nickname [name_f]Delia[/name_f] with a mail-order fashion catalog I used to get as a tween. Very twee (before the term was invented) clothing for tween girls. Called [name_f]Delia[/name_f]'s with a little asterisk for the apostrophe. Blech.

I love the nickname [name_f]Nell[/name_f], but hate that you have to change the vowel sound from the [name_u]Neil[/name_u] of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] to [name_f]Nell[/name_f] in order to get it. That kind of thing irks me.

The other thing that bothers me about both names is how they have two different vowels in them that are pronounced the same. Bot the E and the I are pronounced ee. I wish they were pronounced [name_m]Cor[/name_m]-NEH-lee-a and [name_m]Cor[/name_m]-DEHL-ee-a instead of [name_m]Cor[/name_m]-NEE-lee-a etc. I feel like that kind of lack of phonetic-ness as they’re pronounced in English makes both less international names.

But hopefully someone who doesn’t over think things as much as I do will use them, because they’re really great names! I can just think myself out of liking anything at this point. Having serious name burnout.