Cordelia vs. Cornelia

Which one do you prefer, and why?

I’m kind of 50/50 these days. I used to vastly prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] because it’s Shakespearean and you can get [name_f]Delia[/name_f] from it, but lately something about [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] has started to seem really attractive to me. It feels a bit softer, and I like the Victorian vibe.

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I like them both but I’m a nickname person and don’t really care for the possibility of [name_u]Corny[/name_u] for [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f].

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. For sure.

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] 100%

i prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], i like the ‘rd’ sound, [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is softer.

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] by FAR. [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]… corn. That’s all there is to say.

Both names are lovely, but ultimately I would choose [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f].
While [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is sweet and soft sounding, [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] has umph and spunk.
I also love the Shakespearian association with [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], and the meaning/s are poetic as well.

I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] for so many reasons. I love that it has stems in literature (one of my favorite books in college was Brideshead Revisited) and [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]. I love that it has my grandmother’s maiden name (D’[name_u]Elia[/name_u]) built into the it. I love that it is so uncommon where I live. All in all, I really love this name.

I also like [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], but not as much as [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I would always pick [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] over [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f].

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I like the hard D sound in it, it spices up what could be a really frilly name. [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is too frilly, and I dislike the [name_u]Corny[/name_u] nickname possibility. I do love [name_f]Cora[/name_f] as a nn for both, though.

Ditto this 100%!

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. It has a certain magical elegance to it, but is a also strong name. [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] reminds me of corns and corny, plus the nee-lee sound isn’t very appealing to my ears.

Whoa, I’m surprised that so many are in favour of [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I’m having the hardest time deciding which one to put on the list. To those of you who dislike the ‘corn’ part - aren’t you bothered by the ‘cord’ part in [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]? :stuck_out_tongue:

I am in the minority but I prefer [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f], it’s stunning. So sleek, feminine but also serious and stately. [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] is my favorite nickname.

Exactly, I think [name_f]Nellie[/name_f] or [name_u]Nelly[/name_u] would be an adorable nickname for [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. I think both names are beautiful and both could also have the nickname of [name_f]Cora[/name_f]. [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] reminds me of [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables, which is a great association in my opinion.

I am but the corn in [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is much worse for me.

I don’t like the [name_u]NEEL[/name_u] sound in [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. But both are beautiful names.

[name_m]Cord[/name_m] or [name_f]Cordy[/name_f] as nicknames don’t bother me. The sound is similar to the [name_m]Court[/name_m] in [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] so it has the bonus of feeling like a name. Plus, corny just has negative connotations and I can’t really handle the idea of thinking of corn while changing a dirty diaper.

They’re both gorgeous, but personal associations tip the scales in favor of [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I don’t think the “corn” part of [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] is a big deal.

[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] sounds more appealing to me…