Cosette

What do you think of [name]Cosette[/name]? Is it usable, or not? Are there any good nicknames for it? Because I’m not sure I’d want people calling her Cozy.

Totally usable! I really like [name]Cosette[/name].
Nicknames I like better than Cosy/Cozy: [name]Coco[/name], [name]Etta[/name], [name]Ettie[/name], or Setta

[name]Cosette[/name] is pretty! It’s not exactly a favorite of mine, but I absolutely love the connection to [name]Les[/name] Miserables. :slight_smile: I think [name]Etta[/name] or [name]Sosie[/name] would be a really cute nn for it.

Oh, wow! Totally didn’t think of [name]Etta[/name]…and I’ve been wanting to incorporate that somewhere in my list :smiley:

I’m not a fan, I don’t see it as particularly wearable. As well as that, the Irish Gaelic word for leg is “cos”, so it just reminds me of that.

I think its very pretty but I prefer [name]Collete[/name] or [name]Suzette[/name], but I still think its great. I would call her [name]Ettie[/name] or Sosa or [name]Sosie[/name].

I dont want to be repetitive of my dislike for [name]Cosette[/name] as Im sure people get sick of it but I dont care for it or it’s connotations, however I have decided that in the States why not? Its never used in a derogatory way here but in [name]France[/name] I dont think its usable. Bottom line I dont think its very stylish though.

I would love for a French nameberry to weigh in on this name, maybe they can change my mind?

lol, I’m definitely not French, but my best friend was, so she influenced how I look at French names quite a bit. Her grandmother was actually named [name]Cosette[/name] (well, [name]Nicolette[/name], nn [name]Cosette[/name]), and she was actually considering [name]Cosette[/name] in honor of her grandmother. Which surprises me a lot since she absolutely loved it when she was pregnant with her triplets (almost two years ago), but you have such a negative association. It kind of surprises me that there are such different reactions between the French! haha.

I think it’s underappreciated, perhaps in the same way [name]Ophelia[/name] is.

Agree with the suggestion of [name]Etta[/name] or [name]Ettie[/name] instead of Cosy/Cozy.

What is the derogatory connotation?

@ ashthedreamer, agreed there are so many different opinions on names and it makes for great conversations. notrefamille.com voted it one of the hardest name to wear and anytime I’ve seen it come up on a French board at least one person asks if the poster is joking, for me thats enough to make a name unusable.

@yellow It’s just so connected to [name]Les[/name] Mis and envokes a weak, sad, poor little girl. To call someone [name]Cosette[/name] is sort of sarastically saying “poor little girl” or “faire sa cosette” like saying one wants to be pitied/looking for pity (maybe someone can better explain that one though) However there are I should probably lay off the name since there are appx 1,400 of them in [name]France[/name]. I just feel bad for a [name]Cosette[/name] to travel to [name]France[/name] because I think it could subject them to ridicule but maybe it can comeback!

I found this, maybe its a better way to explain feelings of the name over there but it’s not in english, it does have some positive votes.

Wow, that sort of surprises me! I just read through all the comments and found it so odd. I remember reading [name]Les[/name] Miserables and absolutely loving it, and I never thought of [name]Cosette[/name] as a weak character–just innocent. It kind of blows my mind that it’s such a huge perception over there, haha!

@ashthedreamer you will definitely find this thread interesting!
http://www.familles.com/v4/forums/forums-familiaux-prenoms-de-filles-cosette-t787846.html
I think the funniest comment is the one about needing psychotherapy for the name lol
and with that I retire from commenting on the name!

I personally love the name [name]Cosette[/name] and [name]Les[/name] miserables is my favorite book. And I also think [name]Cosette[/name] was not weak but innocent and I also believe it was common for girls to be like that in those days. I seen many girl characters like that in many books. But anyways, I always liked it and I think it is the most usable name from the book:).

[name]Etta[/name] or [name]Ettie[/name] as nicknames for me. I’d consider this name simply for the ability to use these nns.

A colleague of mine has a niece called [name]Cosette[/name], nn Cossie. [name]Sister[/name] of [name]Lottie[/name] and [name]Maisie[/name].

I am an American living in [name]France[/name] and presently waiting for our second daughter to be born any day.
Naming our first daughter was pretty easy since we had the name prior to moving, but the second has been much harder. I am convinced because naming practices are very different here.

During our search for a name, [name]Cosette[/name] as well as some other French word names (rue, belle, elle, etc) came up a few times in conversation with family and friends. Anyone over the age of 40 thought we were insane for even considering it. The younger crowd was a little more open, but still felt the name carried too much cultural significance. This makes a lot of sense considering it wasn’t until 1993 ( I think) when constraints on baby naming were lifted in [name]France[/name]. [name]Prior[/name] to that, all names had to come from a pre-existing list of official saints, historic figures, mythological, regional or foreign names and diminutives. Though creative baby naming seems to be getting more attention, it is nowhere near as acceptable as it is in the U.S.

That being said, if you live outside of [name]France[/name], I say go for it.