Could Doris come back?

I have a soft spot for [name_f]Doris[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it could make a comeback? [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is climbing the charts, [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] is trending online (due to its use in Soul and a [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_m]Swift[/name_m] song), and many names ending in -is/-ice are popular (e.g. [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f]). But [name_f]Doris[/name_f] seems to be completely overlooked. It peaked in the US in the 1920s, which means it should be due for a revival this decade. What do you think of it? Ready for a resurgence, or still too dated?

2 Likes

I think it still might be a little dated, but it definitely could make a revival in the future. I think it can definitely play to the strengths that [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] are right now and eventually make its way back

4 Likes

I think it could, but it might be a bit too heavy just yet? I’d personally love to see [name_f]Doris[/name_f] make a comeback though, as I prefer it to [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] :joy:

3 Likes

I adore [name_f]Doris[/name_f]! I love the meaning, the sweet sound and the nicknames. I’m hoping it’ll make a comeback soon.

3 Likes

Not very soon, but it will. I’ve heard of some younger Dorises so we probably have to wait them to get older :grin:

4 Likes

Ready for a resurgence. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Doris[/name_f], probably because I have a huge crush on [name_f]Doris[/name_f] [name_u]Day[/name_u]. my grandma’s demon-cat is named [name_f]Doris[/name_f], NN dory. but I’ve always thought a cute spelling would be [name_f]Dorise[/name_f], I think it might make a come back but I don’t care, I’ll still name my little one [name_f]Doris[/name_f] someday

2 Likes

I think with names like [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] and [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] coming back, alongside sounding a bit like [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] and [name_f]Carys[/name_f], I think [name_f]Doris[/name_f] could make a reappearance

4 Likes

Not a fan of [name_f]Doris[/name_f]. It is so old-ladyish and it rhymes with a female body part…I can foresee some major teasing.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Doris[/name_f] is pretty, and I’d love to see it come back! (Though I might be biased because it’s my middle name!)

1 Like

I Think it could, especially with kids loving characters like [name_u]Dory[/name_u] from finding [name_m]Nemo[/name_m] and [name_f]Dora[/name_f] the explorer, [name_f]Doris[/name_f] really isn’t too far out there.

1 Like

I definitely think it could make a comeback at some point! Maybe in the next 10-15 years? It might just need a little extra time beyond the 100-year rule. [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was that it feels a bit dated and clunky, but when I actually think about the sounds, [name_f]Doris[/name_f] is super sweet! I hope it sees a resurgence eventually!

3 Likes

I think I know what word you’re talking about, though it doesn’t rhyme with [name_f]Doris[/name_f] in my accent (DAWR-is vs CLIT-uh-ris). But I appreciate your comment.

1 Like

I mean [name_m]David[/name_m] Tennant ([name_u]Doctor[/name_u] who) used it for his daughter a while back.

For me being my great grandmother’s name it’s always been really old to me, and I didn’t like it because it didn’t sound feminine to me. I think that was partly because I’d never heard it in a context other than my gr-grandmother, and it rhymes with [name_m]Morris[/name_m] and [name_u]Boris[/name_u]. But she was [name_f]Doris[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] which does kind of sound cute.

I think there’s no reason why not, I see names like [name_f]Maud[/name_f] being loved on hear, and no [name_f]Edith[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] have made comebacks there’d be nothing wrong with naming a child [name_f]Doris[/name_f].

1 Like

It might take a little while, but I think it will come back. It’s not completely gone right now as it has been used, just not with any frequency. I love the name as it holds a special place in my heart due to a particular person and the meaning, but it is unusable to me do to another name I intend to use.

I would love to meet a little [name_f]Doris[/name_f]!

1 Like

I agree with the others that [name_f]Doris[/name_f] could be right on the heels of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. Though, I do think that with the right combo it could could work now. For example, when I hear [name_f]Doris[/name_f] on its own, I think dated, but when I think about [name_f]Doris[/name_f] [name_u]Day[/name_u], her name doesn’t sound dated at all. Maybe paired with something that balances the older image or that reads “current”, it could work well.

1 Like

I don’t like how similar it sounds to dorky, though I guess [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is even more similar.

1 Like

Doris is adorable! :blush:

2 Likes

I think any name has the potential to come back eventually, but I’m not sure this one is ready for a resurgence, yet.

1 Like

of course! i would love to see little kids named [name_f]Doris[/name_f] in the future! If similar names like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] can go well on little kids, why can’t [name_f]Doris[/name_f], am I right?

1 Like