Could Izzy be a nn for Ines/Inez?

See the results of this poll: Could Izzy be a nn for Ines/Inez?

Respondents: 16 (This poll is closed)

• Totally!: 14 (88%)
  • Ummm…No.: 2 (13%)

I would say absolutely yes, but here’s what comes to mind, and it’s occurred to me with a lot of other popular name/nickname combinations: Why choose a nickname that’s FAR more popular and trendy than the proper name? To me, choosing [name]Izzy[/name] – cute, but pandemic thanks to the legions of little Isabellas and Isabels, not to mention Isaacs and Isaiahs – is so much less distinctive than [name]Inez[/name] or [name]Ines[/name].

I guess the point might be to give your child an easy-to-like nickname with a more special and perhaps difficult formal name to fall back on, and that’s fine. But sometimes it seems as if parents are picking these distinctive names and then backing away from them by using a more ordinary nickname.

Wow! Thanks for your response, [name]Pam[/name]!
You hit the nail on the head with that one. While I love the name [name]Ines[/name]/[name]Inez[/name], I’m not sure my family and friends would get the appeal. I am confident, however, that they would think the nn [name]Izzy[/name] is adorably acceptable.
Also, I was thinking that [name]Ines[/name]/[name]Inez[/name] might be an exotic name for a little girl to pull off so [name]Izzy[/name] might be a fun alternative while in childhood.

I appreciate, very much, your response!

[name]Tara[/name]

It’s a cute nickname but do you also have a daughter [name]Bella[/name]? If you have one [name]Bella[/name] and one [name]Izzy[/name] it may seem they are both named [name]Isabella[/name]!

Thanks for your response gwensmom!
We do have a [name]Bella[/name] but it’s just [name]Bella[/name]. It did occur to me that [name]Izzy[/name] is often a nn for [name]Isabel[/name]/[name]Isabella[/name]. I was thinking it might be fun to surprise those who would assume that it was short for those names instead of [name]Ines[/name]/[name]Inez[/name].

I haven’t even asked my hubby if he likes [name]Ines[/name]/[name]Inez[/name] yet. I’m just trying to get my arguments ready… I think he thinks [name]Izzy[/name] is cute.

Thanks again!

[name]Tara[/name]

Second all of that.

And if you have a [name]Bella[/name] already, it’s too cutesy.

Second all of that.

And if you have a [name]Bella[/name] already, it’s too cutesy.[/quote]

Okay…what about [name]Nessa[/name] or [name]Nessie[/name]?