Could Marisol mean "sea and sun"?

I know it’s a combination name of [name]Maria[/name] and [name]Soledad[/name] which means “bitter” or “from the sea” and “solitude”.

However, since the Spanish saying mar y sol means “[name]Sun[/name] and Sea” and is said the same, to me that means that it could very well be a secondary meaning to [name]Marisol[/name].

Thoughts?

I see no reason why not! I have the same issue with [name]Mary[/name]. Most definitions list it as bitter, but there are other meanings. I think [name]Sun[/name] and Sea is a great meaning.

lists [name]Marisol[/name] and Sea and [name]Sun[/name].

So clearly it works. :slight_smile:

I see your point as a “I should be able to spell “they’re” as “their” and have it be right because it’s pronounced the same” type of view, which I disagree with. I would probably laugh if someone told me, “I named my daughter [name]Marisol[/name] because it means ‘sea and sun’ in Spanish”, because I know it doesn’t, and where does this ‘i’ come from?

You could technically claim it as a Catalan smoosh of the words “mar i sol” if you really wanted to. I love the name [name]Mar[/name] on its own, it’s more densely used in Catalan areas, and I think it’s really neat and strong.