Could Ronan be used to honor Ronald?

[name]Just[/name] found out that my dear, sweet Uncle has metastatic mesothelioma (lung cancer). His name is [name]Ronald[/name] (nn:[name]Ronnie[/name]). We have a son due on [name]September[/name] 8th and have chosen [name]Alec[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] as his name. My question is could [name]Ronan[/name] also honor my Uncle [name]Ronnie[/name] or is it too different in sound?

Mnay thanks-
[name]Tara[/name]

I think that [name]Ronan[/name] would be an awesome way to honor Uncle [name]Ronald[/name]! Its modern and fresh, but the sounds keep your uncle in mind. I personally believe that any name, whether or not the sound matches that of the relative’s name, could be used to honor a relative, since you are using that name with the person in mind. For example, my daughter [name]Ingrid[/name]'s middle name is [name]Delphine[/name]. [name]Delphine[/name] is in honor of my mother who’s maiden name is [name]Del[/name] R”o. [name]Just[/name] like [name]Ronan[/name]/[name]Ronald[/name], the two names only share the first few letters and their meanings aren’t connected at all. But, whenever I think of [name]Delphine[/name], I automatically think of my mother, and that’s what the honoring is supposed to do.

My simple answer: YES! of course - it is a perfect way to honor him.

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

Yes, totally!! A lovely way of honouring your uncle. [name]Lovely[/name]!

Thanks for the positive feedback!

[name]Tara[/name]

I’m sorry to hear about your uncle and I think [name]Ronan[/name] is a great way to honor a [name]Ronnie[/name].

I myself have also a close familymember named [name]Ronald[/name]. If i were to honor him (i dont want to honor poeple, there are some always going to be left out and most of my family means alot to me) did choose [name]Roland[/name], but thas too close or [name]Ronan[/name]. I love the name [name]Ronan[/name].

My brave Uncle [name]Ronnie[/name] lost his battle with cancer just last evening. While he was still lucid, I was able to tell him that [name]Ronan[/name] will be in his honor. He was visibly delighted!

Thanks to those who responded with positive comments. I feel really great about this :slight_smile:

[name]Tara[/name]