Cousin name - can you do it?

So one of the names we like the best is also the name used for a distant cousin of ours. I actually have never met the kid, but my DH comes from a large family and has LOTS of cousins that live pretty far away that we never see. With that said, do you think it’s okay to use the same name for our baby, which happens to also be fairly uncommon (ranked in 700s)? Would you do it?

I probably would use it. If you never run into that person, it wouldn’t really ever matter. [name]Even[/name] if you did meet at a reunion, it still wouldn’t be a big deal I don’t think. My immediate family has 3 Davids in it. (Dad, grandfather, and Uncle) It can get a bit confusing if someone just hollers “[name]David[/name]!” but it generally isn’t a problem. I wouldn’t let a distant relative’s choice interfere with a name I really love.

Since you never see that person, I think it’s totally fine. You should still use it!

Out of curiosity what is the name?

My brother has the same first and middle name as a second cousin of ours. We live very far away from each other (British [name]Columbia[/name] and [name]Ontario[/name], in [name]Canada[/name]) and there is a 5 year age difference between them. I think we have only ever seen that cousin twice, once at a family reunion and once at a wedding. I think both times they both thought it was great to see their cousin with the same name. It never seemed to bother anyone. If my grandmother would talk about one specifically she would use first and last name (as the last names are different).