Cousins - Emma and Gemma?

[name]Hi[/name] Everyone,

My husband and I just found out that we’re expecting a baby in late [name]November[/name]! The girl name that we had picked out for a while now is [name]Gemma[/name]. We just love it. But…my [name]SIL[/name] is pregnant and due in [name]June[/name]. We just found out that they chose the name [name]Emma[/name] for their baby girl.

We obviously don’t even know the sex of our baby yet but if we have a girl, would it be horrible to name her [name]Gemma[/name] if she has an older cousin named [name]Emma[/name]?

No problems [name]Gemma[/name] is lovely and I think the cousins would like the connection.

Not at all…I think [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name] will probably love it!

I dont see any problem at all, its not the same name, just similar sounding.

I really don’t. My name is [name]Nora[/name] and I have a cousin named [name]Noah[/name], and it’s never bothered either of us. I bet [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name] will love it - they’ll probably think it’s cute.

I agree!
Also, my cousin’s middle name is my first name (my parents didn’t find that out until way after I was born). When we found out, we thought it was pretty neat!

Thank you so much everyone! I’m so glad to hear this! While I could imagine finding another name, my husband has beed dead set on [name]Gemma[/name]. I can’t wait to find out if we’re having a boy or girl!!!

Thanks everyone! I’m so glad to hear this! While I could imagine choosing another name, my husband has been dead set on [name]Gemma[/name] for a while now. I can’t wait to find out if we’re having a boy or a girl.

I think its fine, and they’d appreciate the connection when they’re older. Good luck!

I think it’s fine! They rhyme, but they feel very different to me. I think it’s definitely is doable, and I agree that the cousins might like the connection.

I think its fine, if they were sisters I would say no, but cousins would be fine! I agree with everyone else too that [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Gemma[/name] would probably love it :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] would be the cutest little cousins!

[name_f]Gemma[/name_f] is a great name too, congrats!

Nope, my nieces are [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] and [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], never been a problem!

If they were siblings, I would say no way. But because they’re cousins, I think it’s fine.

I don’t think it’s an issue.

I think it would be fine! I absolutely adore the name [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. I’m a [name_f]Jemima[/name_f], and we have really close family friends (who are basically cousins) with a [name_f]Gemma[/name_f] who’s only a little bit younger than me. We love being the two '[name_f]Gem[/name_f]'s! I think it’s something they’ll cherish and share together. Best of luck!

Okay, I’m the odd one out, but I think definitely no!

If my [name_m]SIL[/name_m] named her daughter [name_f]Emma[/name_f], there’s absolutely no way I’d consider naming my daughter [name_f]Gemma[/name_f]. If I’d had a baby first (named [name_f]Emma[/name_f]) and my [name_m]SIL[/name_m] had one a few months later and named her [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], I wouldn’t be impressed.