Curious about Cash?

In the past two years, two acquaintances have named baby boys [name]Cash[/name]. I’ve also seen it mentioned lots of times on nameberry–but not usually with an explanation of why the poster likes it.
For me “cash” means “money” and that’s what I think when I hear the name, so I would never even think to name a kid that. On the other hand, I’m sure some of the people on nameberry choosing that name are big [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name] fans… that makes more sense to me, like naming a kid [name]Jagger[/name] or [name]Marley[/name]. But the two couples I know who chose that name have probably never listened to country music a day in their lives. My sister-in-law said “It’s a Southern thing,” she’s from S. [name]Carolina[/name], but the people who named their son [name]Cash[/name] aren’t Southern, either.
So, just out of curiosity, what’s the Southern meaning behind [name]Cash[/name]? Is there another meaning besides $$$ and [name]Johnny[/name]? Why do you guys think this offbeat name seems to be getting so popular all of a sudden?

I’m not a big fan either, but I think its popularity can be attributed to its modern sound - K and C names are all the rage ([name]Kale[/name], [name]Caden[/name], [name]Cade[/name], in all their infinite variations), and also the popularity of the softer sounding “[name]Ash[/name]” (e.g. [name]Asher[/name]) in boys names. Also, [name]Jessica[/name] [name]Alba[/name]'s husband’s name is [name]Cash[/name] [name]Warren[/name], which probably put the name into circulation. I think it is actually kind of cute as a nn for [name]Cassius[/name] but, yeah, it screams $ to me (and I even love [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name]!)

I live in the South and I haven’t noticed it being a southern thing. If it is popular somewhere, I would guess it is due to [name]Johny[/name] [name]Cash[/name]. It probably became cool after he died. Also, I was kind of thinking it was like people naming their kids things like [name]Lexus[/name], [name]Mercedes[/name], [name]Chanell[/name] and etc. I’ve seen a couple on tv who were “lower class” consider this name. I think they were on a reality show this summer(tool academy).

I live in TX and have known a few [name]Cash[/name]'s. I think it simply has that rugged, cowboy feel that many like for thieir sons-[name]Seth[/name], [name]Cade[/name], [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Austin[/name], [name]Colton[/name], [name]Ty[/name], etc. I think the [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name] assoication probably lends it some of it’s Western vibe, but I think the sound has a lot to do with it. Personally, I’m not a fan and agree that cash=money, but it goes well with a lot of the boys names I hear often.