Curly hair help!

I know this is not name related at all but Im struggling to find any information so I thought Id turn here for help.

I have extremely straight hair, no wave or curl at all. [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest daughter I thought had baby curls that would grow out but as her hair has finally grown out this year, it definitely has some very loose ringlet type curls to it. But because her hair type is like mine and is ultra fine and the curls are more loose/ wavy, I can’t find any products that don’t just weigh her curls down. And most curly hair groups I’ve found are geared more towards super curly hair or coarser hair.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] any of you have wavy/curly haired kids and what products do you use on their hair? Id like to get a good routine down now so that by the time she’s old enough to take care of it on her own we already know what works.

Hello

So I’m not sure how useful/helpful I’m going to be but I’m a woman with curly/wavy hair and have a daughter with curly Afro hair (my daughter is mixed race half black Ugandan and half white European) so maybe my experience with curly hair will be helpful.

With my own hair I use Coconut Oil Brilliantly Nourishing Pre-Shampoo Hair Oil from the body shop and I use this before washing my hair. I use Aussie shampoo and conditioner designed for curly hair which keeps my curly hair in good condition. To brush my hair I use a detangler comb which keeps the curls in a good condition.

For children I would look for coconut based products I use Aunt Jackie’s products for my daughters hair but these products are designed for curly Afro hair. I think for hair that has a looser curl maybe the child’s farm shampoo and conditioner products would work better. Along with the child’s farm leave in conditioner it works so well with looser hair texture.

Really hope this helps

3 Likes

Thank you! I am at a total loss when it comes to curly hair so any insight, especially when it comes to products, is great!

1 Like

I have quite thick hair so not exactly like your daughter’s, but for me the most important thing (a lot more than any products I’ve tried) is my shower routine! I try not to use shampoo too often, I only brush my hair while in the shower with conditioner on, and 3 or so minutes after I’ve gotten out I kind of go through it with my fingers brushing outwards so it doesn’t dry all flat towards my scalp. Maybe that would help!

2 Likes

[name_m]Just[/name_m] in general we dont wash her hair too much (she’s also eczema prone and too much soap irritates her skin) and I try to brush it in the bath as much as I can. But I think her hair is just so thin and fine at this point that by morning its a complete wreck. So [name_u]Ive[/name_u] been trying to re-wet it/ refresh it after she’s woken up and we’ve brushed it out again. Idk if thats harmful or helpful, but it seems to be the only thing that kind of keeps some of her curl and her hair not a knotted mess.

2 Likes

My daughter has blonde, fine, curly hair. What I do to tame her lion’s mane in the morning is brush it out, spray it with a mixture of conditioner & water, comb through her hair again, & then I use my hands to scrunch it up (if I have more time I’ll go in & set the curls on the top of her head with my fingers). I’ll add add some mousse if I want to avoid frizz by the middle of the day. Although, most days I don’t bother because I try to avoid products with endocrine disruptors & I’ve yet to find a mousse with clean ingredients. I’m sure we’ll have to switch up our routine when her hair gets longer, but for now this no fuss routine works for us. I hope this helps! Curls are so fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds like what I’ve been doing. So I’m glad to hear I’m not completely off base!

But now that her hair is longer and she’s getting ready to go to preschool, the frizziness has started to take over. Im gonna go get her hair trimmed as well since the curls are less defined in the back where her hair is longer. But like you we’ve been struggling to find products that are clean and formulated for little people.

1 Like

Not a parent, but I have curly hair + the same problem with products geared towards coarser hair!

[name_f]My[/name_f] lifesaver is the shea moisture curl conditioner with coconut and hibiscus. It’s lightweight and doesn’t weigh my curls down, but also gives them a good hold throughout the day and defines the ringlets.

In the shower, I brush my hair while it’s completely wet and then do a technique called “squish to condish” Squish to Condish Method: Video Tutorial, Technique, & More. I use conditioner every day, and then once a week, I shampoo, condition and then oil my hair with coconut oil to help make up for the shampoo stripping away natural oils. I shower at night and then wrap it in a silk scarf or a microfiber cloth, and then my hair is magically styled for the morning. I also never ever brush or comb while it’s anything less than completely wet—otherwise it becomes a frizzy mess!

2 Likes

This account came up on my fy page on TikTok a while back, it’s a mum who “curl trains” her toddler’s hair, maybe that’s helpful to you :slight_smile:
https://www.tiktok.com/@katrina_chadderton?_t=8dfEwghryvK&_r=1

2 Likes

Her hair type sounds extremely similar to my own. I would personally steer clear of brushing at all and use a comb or just finger brush in the mornings with a spray bottle (which sounds exactly like what you’re doing).
If its long enough yet, braiding it while she sleeps really helped my hair when I was really young as it was prone to knotting and I am very tender headed with psoriasis on my scalp. Washing very little is good, but the “curly girl method” doesn’t work for me personally as I have very fine hair.
I recommend Kaleidoscope shampoo and conditioner as it is very light weight but also hydrating, and two fo my siblings use the leave-in spray on their kids who also have very fine curls. Curly hair can also be more particular about certain ingredients but thats honestly something you will both have to learn as she grows. CurlSmith also has a lot of great resources. They’re products are okay but expensive imo, but again, their resources are great for all hair types and not just coarse and thick curls. I also really recommend this leave-in as it has literally been a life changer for me. I’ve used it for several years now and turned my mom and sister onto it as well. And a little goes a long way; one bottle will last me almost a full year and I have very long hair now. It also helps with the morning refreshing process as it’ll help the curls “reactivate” without having to add anything but water.
Ultimately though, what you’re doing already is good! I think most walmarts have a section for ethnic hair types, and looking through to find what you think will work based on ingredients and needs is a more time-consuming way to go about it. It’s just a lot of experimenting, but once you find a routine it will pay off

2 Likes

Not sure if this has already been said, but my daughter has fine, curly hair and I had no idea what to do with it (mine is super straight)!

A friend suggested a spray bottle with water and conditioner. I put a few squirts of conditioner in, but that’s too much. I’m still using it right now, but at some point I’m gonna get around to dumping it and refilling with water and just one squirt of conditioner!

I spray her hair every morning and comb/style it. I have to shake it first. She likes to do that for me :laughing: Works great!

2 Likes

I have curly hair, not quite fine now, but I did when I was little! [name_f]My[/name_f] mom used the Aveeno hair care products on me all the time. They are so natural and clean, too. I’d recommend not brushing it unless it’s been blow dried before hand, which I’d recommend doing sparingly as she grows older. Combs and picks work beautifully! :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

@Elle1 thats exactly what we do! Sometimes we’ll use a store bought detangler but usually its just water and conditioner.

@clair.de.lune I didnt think about aveeno, thats what we use for her skin. Ill have to check it out

If it helps this is what her hair looks like…

In the big pic is just what her hair does if its brushed out in the morning, the smaller pics are what happens if we rewet it and scrunch it. So Id say its more wavy than curly.

So I guess my struggle is its almost straight…but not. And when it does get the natural curl going its so cute!

2 Likes