current names comparable to Brittany/Tiffany (not my style)

Interesting - I don’t know how to look up data on surnames. I just knew it was a surname from the [name]Tiffany[/name] and Co people. All I was saying is that it was originally a surname, much like [name]Mackenzie[/name] or [name]Emerson[/name] would be today, not that it was commonplace. Anyway, that is all I have to offer. Have a good day!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Yes, there is an amazing website called wolframalpha and its a database for virtually everything. :slight_smile:

I think [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] are very powerful examples of the effect that massive numbers of little girls can have on the name they bear. I think that 25 yrs ago, [name]Tiffany[/name] was a ritzy, upwardly mobile surname-type name, while [name]Brittany[/name] was a creative place name. Now, millions of Tiffanys and Brittanys later, they seem obviously girly and even frilly. In another 10 years, [name]Madison[/name], [name]Mackenzie[/name] and [name]Addison[/name] will probably likewise have lost their androgynous edge to seem synonymous with cheerleaders and pageant queens.
To me, ultra-frilly names of the '80’s would include [name]Alexa[/name], [name]Jessica[/name], [name]Amanda[/name], [name]Melissa[/name], and [name]Vanessa[/name]. I would classify [name]Tiffany[/name] and [name]Brittany[/name] (then) as waspy and upwardly mobile-like today’s [name]Addison[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Peyton[/name], etc.

Thanks for your thoughts Phoeboesmom :slight_smile: I want to use another example of a unisex 70’s/80’s name. And this is based on my own personal experience and perception that the name [name]Kelly[/name] which was considered a male name before becoming a girl name, still held onto its cool factor even at its height…in my eyes it never took on the bubbley image that some of the other surnames did. Does anyone agree with this? To me, [name]Kelly[/name] feels like a girl name but it doesnt feel frilly feminine. I could see [name]Riley[/name], [name]Harper[/name], [name]Taylor[/name],[name]Sidney[/name] and [name]Addison[/name] retaining the true masculine edge.

I was thinking about a statement that [name]Amanda[/name] said in her post, that the parents that were choosing [name]Britany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] in the 80’s are the same parents who are using [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Madison[/name] in 2010. I feel that there is no real way to gage what type of parent is choosing a particular style of names. Its just impossible, but maybe [name]Amanda[/name] was speaking from her own experience in her own life. Im talking about it on a broad scale…thousand and thousands of parents.

Phoebesmom, I forgot to ask you on the frilly feminine names you listed, do you feel that those will retain their feel in contrast to the other set of names you gave? I am not sure that I agree that those are all frilly feminine, a couple are. To me a frilly feminine name is something like [name]Isabella[/name]. Something that just rings femininity when you hear the name spoken. With regard to [name]Alexa[/name] that name, does feel feminine but not over the top. Also with regard to [name]Alexa[/name], that isnt an 80’s name, maybe it is in the sense that people were shortening their names from [name]Alexandra[/name] to [name]Alexa[/name] as a nn, but as a given name it didnt become popular until 1994 (the year it first reached the top 100), and even then its been a gradual rise.

Hey [name]Plato[/name]! I do think [name]Melissa[/name], [name]Vanessa[/name], et al, still retain the frilly ultra-feminine feel, though they seem a little dated now as any popular name from a certain era will. I guess I consider [name]Alexa[/name] a part of the ‘Dynasty Influence’ category of [name]Alexis[/name] offshoots-[name]Alexia[/name], [name]Alexa[/name], [name]Lexie[/name], etc. that started to rise in the '80’s. It does seem frilly to me, but perhaps not in contrast with [name]Isabella[/name], as you said. But it seems to me like the parent who chooses [name]Isabella[/name] or [name]Sophia[/name] today would have favored [name]Melissa[/name] or [name]Amanda[/name] 25 yrs ago.