current names comparable to Brittany/Tiffany (not my style)

No offense to anyone who loves the names [name]Brittany[/name] or [name]Tiffany[/name], they just arent my style. What Im wondering is, if you were to look at the top 200 popular names, what current names feel like [name]Brittany[/name] or [name]Tiffany[/name] did back in the 80’s? When I look at these names, I see ultra frilly feminine with such a distinct sound. I want to get opinions on this, because they are names I would need to avoid. Maybe their arent any names that even are comparable.

I think of feminine-sounding surname names. [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] have kind of a ‘cheerleader’ feel, which a lot of these do as well…

[name]Addison[/name]
[name]Madison[/name]
[name]Aubrey[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Alexis[/name]
[name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Ashley[/name]
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Riley[/name]
[name]Peyton[/name]
[name]Sydney[/name]
[name]Kennedy[/name]
[name]Reagan[/name]
[name]Shelby[/name]

This list is pretty much the opposite of my style! :slight_smile:

Alot of the names you listed are always being labeled as masculine. :slight_smile: Im not asking what names do you not like, Im asking what names have that ultra feminine frilly distinct style.

Irisrose, Im not trying to pick on you, but I remembered a post you had said that [name]Addison[/name] was masculine, and so I looked it up and here is what you wrote: [name]Addison[/name] [name]Blue[/name]: [name]Addison[/name] is horribly trendy and masculine. Yet in this post you say its feminine. Perhaps you have changed your stance and feel that [name]Addison[/name] isnt masculine?

Sorry if I’ve goti the wrong idea (I wasn’t alive in the 80s!) but the first names I though of are:
[name]Isabella[/name]
[name]Madison[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]

Im asking what names are ultra frilly feminine with that distinct sound. I have to wonder if names like [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name] or [name]Sophia[/name] might be like [name]Brittany[/name]/ [name]Tiffany[/name] of the 80’s. The names will certainly date to this generation, and they are distinct in sound being ultra feminine. I do however think they are much better then [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name].

Were some of the names I posted more what you were looking for or still the wrong direstion?

I don’t see how [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] or [name]Gabrielle[/name] could seem like [name]Brittany[/name] or [name]Tiffany[/name]. The names [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] were not classics with lots of history behind them (as far as I understand), while [name]Sophia[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] are very old classic names that have recently resurged, and [name]Gabrielle[/name] is a biblical name from the name [name]Gabriel[/name]. Those three examples that you give coldn’t be farther from [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] in my opinion. I understand what Irisrose is getting at with names like [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Madison[/name]. While those names may have male origins, unlike [name]Tiffany[/name] and [name]Brittany[/name], they are relatively new girl’s names that will probably be seen as dated, like [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name]. It also seems like the parents who used [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] in the 80’s are similar to the parents who use [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Madison[/name] in 2010.

But, since you’re looking for feminine names from the top 200 that remind you of [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name]…here goes…looking through top 200 (my opinion):

[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Alexis[/name]
[name]Alyssa[/name]
[name]Ashley[/name]
[name]Brianna[/name] *definitely [name]Brianna[/name]
[name]Hailey[/name]
[name]Kailey[/name]
[name]Brooklyn[/name]
[name]Makayla[/name]
[name]Mackenzie[/name]
[name]Jessica[/name]
[name]Ashlyn[/name]
[name]Kylie[/name]
[name]Briana[/name]
[name]Mckenzie[/name]
[name]Brooklynn[/name]
[name]Amanda[/name]
[name]Alivia[/name]
[name]Mikayla[/name]
[name]Cheyenne[/name]
[name]Miley[/name]
[name]Sierra[/name]

Well, I personally don’t see [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] as ultra-frilly or feminine at all. I see them as surname names that have a slightly feminine sound. The names I listed have the same sort of feel to me, and obviously, we just don’t see the same qualities in the names. All you said in your first post was to list names that felt like [name]Tiffany[/name] and [name]Brittany[/name] did in the 80s, and I did that. I never said they were feminine or frilly. [name]Just[/name] that they reminded me of [name]Tiffany[/name] and [name]Brittany[/name], names that I feel are feminine-sounding surnames that, as a result, have become very dated. If you want a list of popular frilly feminine names, here you go-- [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Valeria[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Eliana[/name], etc. But to me, they don’t feel like [name]Brittany[/name] or [name]Tiffany[/name] one bit. I just think it’s subjective, so I’m kind of puzzled at this reaction when all I did was answer based on how I interpreted your original question…

And yes, Amandalk, that was what I was trying to get at. :slight_smile:

[name]Plato[/name], if you’re looking for “names that will date this generation,” you need look no further than the SSA name list. Your question is a really odd one… reading your posts I don’t see how either irisrose or liddiebin’s lists are “off” from what you were asking, so it’s pretty unclear what you’re looking for. When you ask for the [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] of the babies being born today, that makes me think of female names that are highly trendy at this moment that aren’t really ‘classics’ that keep cycling back in to style OR classics that never really leave the top 20. Names like [name]Madison[/name] and [name]Riley[/name] do fit that bill.

Looking for “names that start with B and T” won’t lead really lead you to “ultra frilly feminine with a distinct sound that will make them dated.” Ultra frilly feminine with a distinct sound is not what makes a name dated. Trendiness (not to be confused with popularity), in and of itself, is what makes a name dated.

The reason you think that [name]Isabella[/name] and and [name]Sophia[/name] are “much better” than [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] is because they are today’s names, names that are becoming popular for BABIES (and, to be fair, also because [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name] are among the aforementioned “classics that keep cycling back into style,” as opposed to media-induced blips in the history of naming). [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] are pass” in the sense that they are names of the '80s that were popular for babies THEN (now 20-somethings), but not names that have been highly popular before (or after) the '80s (non-classics, you could argue). In 20-30 years, people may well think of [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Riley[/name] as “so 2005” or whatever (not that that should matter, a beautiful name is a beautiful name)… though it’s always hard to predict which names will quickly fall OUT of fashion (those that “date” an era) and which will linger amongst the upper ranks for awhile (those that don’t date a specific era).

Avoid the names you dislike and those that are “trendy,” if you so desire, but your question is just so incredibly specific (and somewhat contradicts itself) that it would be nearly impossible to answer to your liking. Perhaps you should come up with your own list to share?

Yes?

[name]Isabella[/name] & [name]Avery[/name] are killing me.

After reading all these posts, the first ultra girly frilly names that could become the next [name]Brittany[/name]/[name]Tiffany[/name] names are the following:
[name]Amanda[/name]
[name]Ashley[/name]
[name]Brianna[/name]
[name]Brooklyn[/name]
[name]Jessica[/name]
[name]Mackenzie[/name]
[name]Madison[/name]
Some of these names I like and some I don’t.
Hopefully this is what you meant, plato!

[name]Plato[/name], are you asking for names that are comparable to [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] in style, image, and sound, or are you asking for names that are ultra-feminine and frilly? To me, neither [name]Brittany[/name] nor [name]Tiffany[/name] are ultra-feminine or frilly. Yes, girls named [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name], in my experience, tend to be the type who are feminine, spunky, and, more often than not, cheerleaders, but I wouldn’t classify the names themselves as feminine! To me, something ultra-feminine and frilly would be more along the lines of [name]Sophia[/name], whereas today’s equivalent of [name]Tiffany[/name] might be something like [name]Madison[/name] or [name]Mackenzie[/name]. [name]Hope[/name] this helps!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Lemon[/name] asked [name]Plato[/name], are you asking for names that are comparable to [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] in style, image, and sound? Yes :slight_smile: mainly just sound.

To my ears, [name]Brittany[/name] (harsh/feminine) and [name]Tiffany[/name] (soft/feminine), and I guess I am in the minority here that thinks that. Whereas alot of the names mentioned are unisex names which in my opinion have a masculine edge to them, sort of like [name]Kelly[/name] in the 70’s and 80’s…of course [name]Kelly[/name] is dated but it doesnt rub me the wrong way, as say [name]Brittany[/name] or [name]Tiffany[/name] do. I dont have a problem with feminine frilly names, dont get me wrong, what Im trying to do, is search out the ones that could compare in sound alone. Yellow asked me to come up with my own list, well I cant, which is why I asked the question. Perhaps there are no names which are comparable.

I was hoping to get comparable names, but I just dont see where unisex names are comparable to [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name]. The styles are just completely different. As we all know the majority of people on this board always say that [name]Addison[/name], as well as other names are masculine and belong on boys, so how can those names compare in sound to [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] which do not have roots as being unisex and they dont sound at all masculine.

Alright, [name]Plato[/name], I still think my best bet at what is today’s [name]Tiffany[/name] or [name]Brittany[/name] is [name]Mackenzie[/name]. Why? Well, you asked for a name similar in sound, and all of [name]Tiffany[/name], [name]Brittany[/name], and [name]Mackenzie[/name] are three-syllable names ending in an “ee” sound. Furthermore, each one has a strong defining consonant to start the name off, leading to a nickname - [name]Tiff[/name], [name]Britt[/name], and [name]Mac[/name]. Now, onto the issue of being unisex - out of these three names, I think the only one I’d consider to be truly unisex is [name]Mackenzie[/name], and it is unisex. [name]Tiffany[/name] and [name]Brittany[/name], on the other hand, would seem utterly out of place on a male in my opinion - [name]Tiff[/name] and [name]Britt[/name] for a guy? No, thank you. If we are looking for the similarities between these names, we could classify them as surname names rather than unisex names. As far as image, all of these names bring to mind, for me, a bubbly, sassy girl with confidence. She might not be the most feminine girl in the bunch, but she is definitely girly. I hope I answered your question…

I re-read through the posts and I can see where I have really written a question that perhaps really is too hard to answer.

The main reason being that we all view [name]Tiffany[/name]/[name]Brittany[/name] different. Obviously those that have answered do not view it as distinctly feminine as I do.

[name]Lemon[/name] thank you for your thoughtful response. I think that for me, its not the ee ending, its the distinct beginning of both names. And as a whole the names evoke a ultra feminine feel for me, regardless of the people [name]Ive[/name] met who have the name, even if it was a manly woman who had either name, I would still feel the name was ultra feminine. So no its not about the typical girls who have the name. I would love to hear from other nameberries and find out if they view the names [name]Tiffany[/name]/ [name]Brittany[/name] the same I as do?

[/quote]
by irisrose ” [name]Sun[/name] Oct 10, 2010 1:45 am

Well, I personally don’t see [name]Brittany[/name] and [name]Tiffany[/name] as ultra-frilly or feminine at all. I see them as surname names that have a slightly feminine sound. [quote]

[name]How[/name] are [name]Brittany[/name]/[name]Tiffany[/name] even remotely comparable to a surname?

[name]Tiffany[/name] is a surname. [name]Charles[/name] [name]Lewis[/name] [name]Tiffany[/name] founded [name]Tiffany[/name] and Co…

A very RARE surname at that. I looked up the statistics on wolframalpha database and neither name even registers as a surname, which means its pretty much non-existent.

I think its best to end this entire thread, I dont see it being productive, Im feeling attacked for even posting the question. Sorry if I have written anything to offensive to anyone.