Cy (Cypress if you please) 🌲

What are your thoughts/first impressions on Cy for a boy? Possibly [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] for a longer form and nn [name_m]Cy[/name_m].

I’m a sucker for punchy one-syllables, especially with our long last name. I also like the nature feel.

Thanks,
x

3 Likes

I think both are really cool and usable! [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] is brave but it would be so cool to see used.

I adore [name_m]Cy[/name_m] and [name_u]Cypress[/name_u]! [name_m]Cy[/name_m] gives me this hardworking, humble impression.

Love it!! [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] is different but feels familiar at the same time. [name_m]Cy[/name_m] is a cool nn!

I think cy would work. I know a [name_m]Sy[/name_m] whos just [name_m]Sy[/name_m].

I knew a [name_m]Cy[/name_m] with a long last name and I like it a lot!

1 Like

I’ve also been thinking about [name_m]Cy[/name_m] lately. I think it’s such a cool name, fresh and spunky. I love it as a nickname for [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] but I like [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] too - it has an interesting sound!

There’s a model named [name_f]Arizona[/name_f] [name_f]Muse[/name_f] who has a daughter (I think it’s a girl?) named [name_m]Cy[/name_m].

Cy makes me think of [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] Saldana’s son! I definitely think it works as a full name, and I quite like it.

I love [name_u]Cypress[/name_u]. It was on my list but I doubt my husband would go for it. I think [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] is really nice and [name_m]Cy[/name_m] could because nickname.

They’re both amazing, but I would definitely want to see a long name for [name_m]Cy[/name_m]. I love the sound of [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] so much but not the look for some reason! It makes me think of ‘cyber’ and ‘press’ instead of trees which is annoying.

I like [name_m]Cy[/name_m] but not sure I like any long forms. Maybe [name_m]Silas[/name_m]

I don’t mind it but I prefer [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] with the nickname [name_m]Cy[/name_m].

Ooh, I really like the short, sharp [name_m]Cy[/name_m]

I love [name_m]Cy[/name_m] as a nickname for [name_u]Cypress[/name_u]!

I would use [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] with the NN [name_m]Cy[/name_m].

Two letter names are highly unusual as full names but they are certainly familiar as nicknames or as a person’s preferred given name. I’m talking about names like Ed, Al and Jo. They’re friendly names–there’s something warm and unassuming about them. I still think most people who know an Ed, Al or Jo would be surprised to discover that it was the name on their birth certificate, but that surprise could be seen as a big positive for the name, especially if you’re partial to short punchy names.

I would put Cy in the same group mentioned above. It may not match the usage of the others but it’s derived from traditional names–Cyrus and perhaps Cyril–in the same way the others are and would feel rather charming on a little human as old-fashioned diminutives tend to do. I get different mood from Cy though, it feels serene but also quite dapper. It certainly sounds fresher. If you like it on its own, I do think it works in a standalone capacity. But if you decide you don’t, Simon a is handsome straightforward option. I don’t think changing the ‘S’ to ‘C’ or the ‘i’ to a ‘y’ is a huge concern. It’s just adopting the more intuitive spelling, and we tweak spelling with nicknames all the time like Izzy from Isabella.

I can think of some others that aren’t as obvious such as Isaac, Ozias, Isaiah. I don’t suppose it matters much if they’ll primarily go by Cy anyway. I’d call Cypress obscure despite the direct link to the spelling because it doesn’t register as a name for most folks. I’d personally prefer Cy used with an established name but I do see how a relatable nickname makes an unconventional name grow on people a lot faster and everyday life a bit smoother. I would ask yourself, how much more do you like Cy from Cypress considering the whole package.

I should add: I know a seven year old girl who goes by Sai pronounced the same way. It was refreshing to hear, but now of course it’s just her name and feels quite normal.

I think [name_m]Cy[/name_m] is super cute. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite long form would be [name_m]Silas[/name_m] probably but I really like [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] and think it could work.

I like it, it feels fun and friendly. [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] is cool and nature-y, I think it would be a nice full name for [name_m]Cy[/name_m]. I also like [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] nn [name_m]Cy[/name_m].

I love [name_u]Cypress[/name_u]! [name_m]Cy[/name_m] works great as a nn!

I love it!