Cyberpunk names

I’m working on a proposal for a cyberpunk novel and looking for names to play with in my first draft. Any suggestions for first or last names in a futuristic, technology-focused society? I’d love to play on the classics (mythology), but I’m not married to that idea. What do you think? Can’t wait to read your ideas!

To be honest the sky is the limit, there are no hard and fast rules, but names should have as much atmosphere as the story you’re writing. I write cyberpunk too and I know that the character’s name should reflect the character. Is the character sexy? Then give him/her a sexy name. Is the character conservative? Then give them a name that fits. Mundane? You get the idea. If I were you I would research previous cyberpunk stories to see what names were used, and get a feel for the style and rhythm of the names used. Some girls names could be,[name]Glory[/name], [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Clea[/name], etc. [name]William[/name] [name]Gibson[/name]'s two main characters in Neuromancer are [name]Case[/name], and [name]Molly[/name] Millions. This reply is kind of all over and nutty but I hope I was of some help.

Thanks, @velvet! I’m actually rereading Neuromancer right now :wink:

I adore Greek mythology, so some of these are Greek. [name]Hope[/name] this helps! :smiley:

GIRLS
[name]Jay[/name]/[name]Kay[/name]/[name]Em[/name] (For some reason, I find names that sound like their first letter cool; can be used for guys)
[name]Moira[/name]/[name]Moirae[/name]
[name]Genesis[/name]
Futura
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Jade[/name]
[name]Athena[/name]/[name]Artemis[/name] (I love [name]Aphrodite[/name], but her name isn’t very usable unless you’re going for outlandish.)
[name]Arista[/name]
Samandra*

GUYS
[name]Alexios[/name]/[name]Alexandre[/name] nn [name]Alex[/name]
[name]Zeus[/name]/[name]Apollo[/name]/Ares
[name]Cael[/name]
[name]Jordon[/name]
[name]Jerimiah[/name]
[name]Sterling[/name]/[name]Silver[/name]
[name]Slade[/name]
[name]Rylee[/name]/[name]Ryker[/name]

*I made this one up. [name]Samantha[/name] meets [name]Alexandra[/name]. Combining names, to me, sounds very futuristic. It’s also quite fun.

[name]Just[/name] saw that someone responded! Yay! [name]Love[/name] the list and I think you are totally right about name mash ups sounding futuristic. I’m going to have to play with that. my favorites: Samandra, [name]Moirae[/name], [name]Silver[/name] (for a girl maybe), and [name]Cael[/name]. Thanks so much! Any other suggestions?

Try searching for names by meaning, and don’t limit yourself to this site. My son’s name Aelwyn appears on very few sites, and has two meanings ‘fair’ or ‘noble friend’ depending on the site!
Our last names Zoechmann, don’t know if it has a meaning as such but could be a good name for a character!! Zekman, maybe :-D?? Which makes me think of [name]Zeke[/name]/Ezekial, I think names with a sharp sound seem more futuristic.

Or try names taken from the periodic table of elements- e.g. Argon [name]Aggie[/name], Xenon, Tantalum, [name]Cobalt[/name], Cerium :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, tamakazee! [name]Love[/name] the idea of playing with the table of elements. And branching out is never a bad idea…

I always thought Cadmium was a great element name, if a bit obscure. And Indium, for that matter.
(Finding interesting names on the periodic table was how I survived science class…)

I also think some Classical names have a futuristic edge to them - think Lilaia, [name]Nephele[/name], [name]Ismene[/name]…

Good luck!