Dagny Taggart for Daughter's Name?

With my last name being [name_m]Taggart[/name_m], I am debating naming my daughter [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] [name_m]Taggart[/name_m] (Character from the novel [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] Shrugged). Thoughts on the name [name_u]Dagny[/name_u]?

*Edit: Thank you everyone for the comments so far. Just to clarify, the name of the Atlas shrugged character is named “Dagny Taggart”, so it was the author that came up with the “ag”-ness :slight_smile:

If unpopular I may just go with a different name. Thanks for all the replies!

Tbh, I think there’s just too much ag in [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] [name_m]Taggart[/name_m]. Sorry. :confused:

4 Likes

I unfortunately agree, but [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] is still quite lovely

1 Like

I had never heard of [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] before but I love the meaning from Nameberry! I agree that [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] [name_m]Taggart[/name_m] is a bit much with the ag sounds…but maybe [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_m]Taggart[/name_m] nn [name_u]Dagny[/name_u]?

4 Likes

Yeah. I agree.

I agree with the previous posters about ag sound. And it’s not a great idea to name a child directly after a character. [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] is a good suggestion.

I’m not a massive fan of [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] [name_m]Taggart[/name_m]. I think the repeated sounds as others have mentioned doesn’t work that well.

Daphne is a good suggestion!

Daphne is a great suggestion! I second that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the character and the name. I’m surprised I haven’t heard [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] more given how strong the character is. However, I might hesitate with the last name [name_m]Taggart[/name_m]. To me, it would be like naming a kid [name_m]Tom[/name_m] if your last name was [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]. It could be fun if you decide to lean into it, but the anecdote will always be “[name_m]Tom[/name_m] [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] like the book!”

I love the name [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] but I personally would really not like to be named directly after a character, even a good one.

For one thing, I think comments about it could quickly get annoying. Second, I think it’s important to feel you have your own name and own identity. And third, I think I’d feel that my parents only chose my name because of my surname, rather than choosing something they loved or that had meaning for them.

I feel the same way about punny name/surname combos like [name_m]Rob[/name_m] (?) Morrow’s daughter [name_f]Tu[/name_f] Morrow or [name_u]Nick[/name_u] [name_m]Cannon[/name_m]’s children [name_u]Golden[/name_u] [name_m]Cannon[/name_m] and [name_u]Powerful[/name_u] [name_m]Cannon[/name_m] :neutral_face:

5 Likes

I’m not really a fan of naming kids directly after characters; they might find the comments tiring, they might dislike the character or the work, and they may feel that they wanted more of their own identity when it comes to their name. I also think the “ag” sounds are a little overpowering.

3 Likes

My first name was taken directly from a movie character and luckily the character and film have not been viewed as problematic and probably won’t be. The film, and the book it was based off of, aren’t tremendously popular so most people don’t make the link.

Admittedly, I am no fan of [name_f]Ayn[/name_f] [name_m]Rand[/name_m] and I don’t think [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] [name_m]Taggart[/name_m] has a natural flow. I think [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] as a middle name might be a nice compromise, giving you the character reference and giving your child a less recognizable name.

2 Likes

Dagny [name_m]Taggart[/name_m] is a bit much for me, sorry

Dagny [name_m]Taggart[/name_m] is kind of a mouthful. Maybe [name_u]Darby[/name_u] [name_m]Taggart[/name_m] or [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] [name_m]Taggart[/name_m] if you like Da- names?

I think the name [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] is fine, but I wouldn’t use the character’s full name. It’s a bit much, and given how controversial [name_f]Ayn[/name_f] [name_m]Rand[/name_m] is, it wouldn’t be a good idea.

2 Likes

I agree with the people who have already commented that your child may not feel they have their own complete identity if they are named directly after a character. And I also agree that, regardless of view, [name_f]Ayn[/name_f] [name_m]Rand[/name_m] was a controversial figure and the child would certainly get comments because of that; people may make assumptions about the child because of their associations with the book/the character. Perhaps you could go for [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] as a middle if you’re set on the honor? But even then the -ag sounds are a bit much.

2 Likes

Love [name_u]Dagny[/name_u]! [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is in my top 3. :heart:

I would love to meet a [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] [name_m]Taggart[/name_m]; I’m not familiar with [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] Shrugged myself, but it’s a super cool name, and I am a huge [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] fan.

I’d be hesitant to use [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] up front, because of comments I’ve heard from my family (all dagger this and dagger that, le sigh), but I do adore her and wouldn’t hesitate to use her as a middle.

I wouldn’t be concerned with the flow of [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] with your last name, although I would personally hesitate to use a name that’s the exact name of a character in a fairly popular film or book? Maybe [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] as a middle? I don’t want to encourage you to hide her away, lol, but that might take away all the concerns. I think something like [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_u]Dagny[/name_u], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Dagny[/name_u], [name_f]Kaia[/name_f] [name_u]Dagny[/name_u], [name_f]Serena[/name_f] [name_u]Dagny[/name_u], [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_u]Dagny[/name_u], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_u]Dagny[/name_u], [name_u]Auden[/name_u] [name_u]Dagny[/name_u], [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] [name_u]Dagny[/name_u], etc., all work super well.

Good luck!

I think [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] is a great name! I know a six year old [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] who wears her name very well. If you are naming her after the character then I think it is fine that it is the same first and last, if you were just inspired by the character, I would hesitate. Either way [name_u]Dagny[/name_u] is a great name.