Dakota for a girl?

What are your thoughts on [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] for a girl? I’ve liked it since I was young, but I’m not sure what kind of a name it is, or what people think when they hear it. We have a [name_f]Caraline[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f] (Caroline with an a), and I wonder if that would be a cute sister set. Thanks!!

1 Like

I immediately think of [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] Funning and [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m]. A very American girl name. Not my style but not bad either

1 Like

I think the name [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] is gorgeous ! [name_f]Caraline[/name_f] and [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] also sound like cute sisters.

I think [name_f]Caraline[/name_f] sounds like a timeless classic, and [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] sounds like a trend from the 90s/00s. And potentially cultural appropriation, depending on your ethnic background. It’s not a bad name, but they seem like two very different styles to me.

It feels all-American girl, a bit like [name_f]Caraline[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f], actually!

I have only known three boy and one girl Dakotas in my life. All the boy Dakotas were very similar which was semi introverted skaterboy vibes. [name_f]Girl[/name_f] [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] was always a tomboy and tended to hang out more with the boys than girls as a kid. She also was the only girl in my grade to not wear a dress for our catholic school communion and ended up wearing a suit like all the boys

That being said I think [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m] and [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] Fanning are really giving the name [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] a good light. The name itself gives me very chill, down to earth girl vibes. Goes with the flow, never looking to start trouble, easy going

[name_f]Caraline[/name_f] and [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] are also super sweet together and I definitely can picture a [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] being the little sister to a [name_f]Caraline[/name_f]!

If you love it I say use it! [name_m]Even[/name_m] with my own and other peoples’ associations of the name, I don’t think that should ever be a cause not to use a name (unless it’s something with a super negative and discriminatory association like [name_f]Isis[/name_f] or Hitler which luckily [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] does not have!)

It feels western to me because of the [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] and [name_m]Clarke[/name_m] association in [name_m]North[/name_m] [name_f]Dakota[/name_f], and also of the Dakotas but that’s just me as there will be many associations.

1 Like

Naming your child after an ethnic group feels inappropriate.

2 Likes

I think it sounds great with [name_f]Caraline[/name_f] [name_f]Hope[/name_f]. I would pair it with a feminine middle.

1 Like

I’ve only ever known boys with the name, but it definitely works on girl. It does strike me as more masculine than [name_f]Caraline[/name_f], but I think they both have an all-American girl appeal. I have heard some controversy regarding its use on non-indigenous Americans, so I would make sure you’re aware of the potential implications before choosing it!

1 Like

No way. It feels really weird to name your child after a people group.

Completely works imo. Mauculay Culkin named his daughter that in honor of his sister. So it’s clearly a timeless classic and I wouldn’t worry about it seeming inappropriate. I’ve only ever seen Nameberryland highlighting that potential not in the real world. As other have also named celebrity female Dakotas as well.

It’s a bit 2000s tbh a la [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] Fanning and I grew up with a girl named [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] in the mid 2000s. So it’s a fine name but that’s the vibe I get from it.

I have a cousin who named her daughter [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] before that I had it on my list of boy names

I do like that about it!

I didn’t think about the cultural association before, just the state. It would make me nervous to have her feel like her name is not appropriate. Although I do feel like all names have come from somewhere so…

1 Like

[name_f]Caraline[/name_f] + [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] is a really cute sister set! I personally think [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] is a beautiful name for a little girl.

1 Like

Exactly. I think the name is fine and not derogatory in any manner.

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] for a girl! It has a lovely meaning. It sounds gentle and sweet. I also associate it with [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m] and [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] Fanning.

[name_f]Caraline[/name_f] and [name_f]Dakota[/name_f] don’t sound like the most expected choice for sisters, but they work well together.

I think Caraline and Dakota go really well together :blush: I am usually a fan of more old vintage names, but Dakota is really lovely! For some reason I get ´spending the summers in the Hamptons’ vibe from this sibset. Love! :heart_eyes:

Edited: I think that the two actresses named Dakota have made this name very usable for everyone. I wouldn’t worry about it honestly.