Dandelion Baby

This post has some sensitive topics so I’m adding a TW for infertility and loss mentions…
We all know the terms sunshine baby, angel baby, and rainbow baby. These are pretty common around the world especially in babyloss communities. There are also pot of gold babies, sunset and sunrise babies, and snowflake babies. These are great to help heal after a loss and to help explain the journey some people go through. But there isn’t a term for babies born after infertility without a loss.

Infertility is a journey that is remembered and can still cause heartache even after having children. Infertility, and the grief caused from it with each month that goes by, never goes away; just like the pain of losing a child never goes away. This is not me saying that the struggles are the same, I know they’re not, but we deserve a symbol and a term too!

I petition that we start using the term dandelion baby! I made so many wishes on dandelions during my 5+ years of ttc and am so happy to finally have my dreams come true. Our little girl is nearly 5 months old now. Dandelions have become such a huge symbol and part of our journey that we have incorporated a dandelion theme in our baby’s nursery :heart:. Let’s make dandelion babies a thing!

Is there a term you use to describe your baby born after infertility? I’m curious to know it and why you use it if its not too personal! #dandelionbaby #dandelion #infertility #infertilityawareness #pregnancyafterinfertility #parentingafterinfertility

17 Likes

I LOVE the idea of calling them dandelion babies :heart: That’s so sweet! I agree, there isn’t really a term for babies born after infertility, come to think of it! I have heard of some infertility mamas still using the rainbow baby term, even if they didn’t have any losses.

[name_f]My[/name_f] little boy is my rainbow baby, born after two chemical pregnancies. It didn’t feel right to call him that at first because I didn’t have concrete evidence that the previous two pregnancies existed. [name_m]Even[/name_m] now, it is painful and confusing to think about. I also felt weird to me to call my son something connected to his lost siblings. It’s…complex. I’m not at all saying these nicknames are wrong to use but there are so, so many emotions surrounding loss, infertility and babies born after all of that mess. You know?
Kiddo is 2.5 now and I referred to him as my rainbow baby when we saw a rainbow in the sky one day recently. Other than that, I don’t use any term like that very often anymore.

(I just remembered a craft we did on my first mother’s day, when LO was a few months old. I took black construction paper and drew a puffy white dandelion on it with white pen, with some fluffies flying around the paper. I wrote “we made a wish and you came true” on it, then dipped his tiny fingers in white paint and tapped them around the paper to make more fluffies. It turned out really cute! Your dandelion term made me think of that :heart:)

Congratulations on your little one, btw! I remember you from around here and am SO thrilled to see you’ve got a baby now :heart:

5 Likes

I just wanted to respond by saying I’m sorry to hear about your infertility struggles I have friends and family effected by infertility and the struggle is awful. I love the concept of a dandelion baby and congratulations on your little dandelion baby :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I just have to say i love this term and will definitely be using/spreading it :pensive::heart:

Took me awhile to process it but i decided i love it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Still waiting for our little :rainbow::cherry_blossom::tulip:

1 Like